Analog Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jagee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
I have no idea how to use it to find a signal from my 6 foot dish.The manual only shows how to use it after it has found the sats,not before.Can anyone help me out.I have a uniden SQ530 I dnloaded it from uniden.comhe manual states this section of the operating guide takes you step bystep through the most common procedures you need to perform AFTER your SQ530 has been properly installed by your uniden dealer: But what and how do you do the procedure they are talking about.

Yes i have it doesn't tell me how i can get a signal to read on my analog receiver this is why i bought the receiver cause im supose to somehow be able to locate some sats.and be able to see it on the uniden i thought.

Ok, take a quarter out of your pocket and have someone hold it up in the air with their hand. Now walk about 50 paces away from the person holding that quarter in the air.

Now point your finger at that quarter the person is holding. Notice that if you move your finger JUST A LITTLE BIT up/down or left/right, your finger is no longer pointing at the quarter!

Well this is what we are doing when we aim a satellite dish. We are aiming at a very small object 25,000 miles away up in space. If you are not right on target, you will get nothing. You can't just point a satellite dish up in the air and expect to have it be aimed at a satellite.

You need very accurate tools/instruments to point a dish. And you need to learn how to use these tools. Tools like a handheld GPS to find the accurate direction of a satellite. An inclinometer to set your dish at the correct height. A coax signal meter to tell you when you are aiming at a satellite. A dish pointing calculator to tell you exactly where to point the dish for a specific satellite...
http://www.satellite-calculations.com/Satellite/lookangles.htm

And instructions to learn all about this...
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html

i ve read and completed all the above but my question was were oe how do i see a meter or something on my analog receiver.My pansat show all those readings but my uniden doesn't.It just comes up with the wording i stated in the upper post.I thought maybe someone could tell me a little more about this receiver and how to use it.

Is there a reason you want a analog receiver? are you going to put programming on it . because there it not much up there as in analog you should try and locate a 4dtv if you want programming . its great lots of free channels and cheap programming

i ve read and completed all the above but my question was were oe how do i see a meter or something on my analog receiver.My pansat show all those readings but my uniden doesn't.It just comes up with the wording i stated in the upper post.I thought maybe someone could tell me a little more about this receiver and how to use it.

analog doesn't have a signal meter unless we're working with subscription channels. free analog channels you tune them like a TV antenna. You see snow....then a picture...then snow (if you are moving the dish). Digital has to be nuts on or it won't work. Analog has MUCh more give than digital.

I used an analog box to find G16 (G4)....tuned to channel 15 (at the time....World Harvest is now digital) and moved the dish until I got a snowy picture. Fine tuned it until it was clear and aimed for digital from there :)

thank you iceberg that is the answer i was waited for i guess.Someone on the forum kept telling me the best way to setup my dish is to get an analog receiver so i went and got one.As others should of seen i already had a digital receiver according to my setups im showing.Man ive got 100% plump pole my angle is set at 51 my delination is set at 4.7 with my inclemeter on the shaft of my moteck H180 it reads 33% My true north was set according to the time of day which was 1:33am,I get a 80 signal but no quality showing on my pansat.3500SD.My lat33.4 long 82.2 Any help here.Ive been at this for approx.3months with no luck.My 31in is in front about 20feet away and it is working.

Last edited:
thank you iceburg that is the answer i was waited for i guess.Someone on the forum kept telling me the best way to setup my dish is to get an analog receiver so i went and got one.As others should of seen i already had a digital receiver according to my setups im showing.Man ive got 100% plump pole my angle is set at 51 my delination is set at 4.7 with my inclemeter on the shaft of my moteck H180 it reads 33% My true north was set according to the time of day which was 1:33am,I get a 80 signal but no quality showing on my pansat.3500SD.My lat33.4 long 82.2 Any help here.Ive been at this for approx.3months with no luck.My 31in is in front about 20feet away and it is working.

OK , what is your due south sat ? Which should be the easiest to find , if it has active C Band transponders .

Are you using a LNBF ( 13 - 18 VDC polarity switching ? Or a LNB with the little polorotor ?

Wyr

My computer went nuts somehow i repeated everything for some reason Sorry

im using a BSC621-2 LNBF

OK , does it have an arrow that shows what should be " up " ?

Your longitude is about 82 degrees ? OK , go to http://lyngsat.com/america.html

Your due south sat would be Nimoq 2 82 or AMC 9 83 . Bot are KU , which does not help you .

The Brazilsats are C band , but I think all digital .

So I am going to suggest you try AMC 3 87 , which I think is about 3 degrees east of your due south .

Transponder 20 V is pretty strong , try for it , with the receiver and the TV outside . Put the analog receiver on channel 20 .

But here is the rub . The older analog receivers only out-put at 18 VDC So , with the LNBF , you are only going to see one polarity . If it is a newer receiver , and you have a menue choice for voltage switching , you are off to the races .

The menue on my receiver askes ir the sat has regular or reverse polarity . Here is what that means . adjacent sats usually have opposite polarity for any given TP , say TP 1 . V - H - V - H and so on from one sat to the next . This helps reduce cross talk / interfeerance from the sats on either side of the one you are aiming at .

So , after having said all that , if you hit AMC 3 TP dead on , with your LNBF , you may be on the wrong polarity , 90 degrees off .

So , if you can find what you think is your sat & TP ( channel 20 ) and you do not get a picture , try rotating the LNBF 90 degrees , left or right , it does not matter .

Is your motor controled by the digital receiver or the analog receiver ?

If it is controled by the digital receiver , set your longitude and latatude and tell the receiver to motor to 87 West . Then powred down and hook the coax up to the analog receiver .

Another way to deal with the polarity issue is to buy a splitter that blocks DC on one port ( F connector ) . Hook the analog receiver to one that is blocked , the digital receiver to the seconf one and the coax to the sat to the other port .

Now you can have both receivers active at the same time , but the LNBF is powered and polarity is controlled by the digital receiver .

If you think you are at AMC 87 channel 20 and you get nothing , go to the digital receiver menue and change from a V TP to a H , or vice versa . This should change polarity at the LNBF .

Another cheat is to rotate the LNBF to 45 degrees , this puts you half way between H and V . May not get anything on digital , but you may get a bad picture on analog , where you got no picture at all , before , if you had the polarity wrong .

Then start tweeking the polarity by rotating the lnbf either left or right .

Once you get an analog picture , you can start tweeking everything ( angles & direction ) .

Then start scanning with the digital receiver .

Here is another hint , untill you know the polarity issue is RIGHT , on digital , go into your TP menue .

On 87 AMC 3 , look at say the first TP's . APTV is H at 3715 , 3719 and 3725 . Add new TP's 3715 , 3719 and 3725 but V . ( These channels show to be un-scrambled ) . Now scan . If you are aimed correctly , you should hit them , at one polarity or the other .

You can do this on the other in the clear channels / TP's
http://www.lyngsat.com/amc3.html

Wyr

Last edited:
thank you for the information ill let you know how it turns out

Question on the back of my uniden i have 4 wires to hook up.2 to work the motor and 2 for what it says sen then B then ground were do the other 2 hook up to. the sen and b or what.My dish turns without the other 2 wires hooked up so what do they do.also im hooked up to a Moteck H180 it keeps giving me an actuator error is the error cause im using the motor instead.Also what channel sould i put in for AMC9 KU band on this analog

Last edited:
2 Large wires - Actuator MOTOR - If it goes the wrong direction Swap the motor wires.

2 Small wires - Actuator SENSOR - If not hooked up you will get an actuator ERROR

Question on the back of my uniden i have 4 wires to hook up.2 to work the motor and 2 for what it says sen then B then ground were do the other 2 hook up to. the sen and b or what.My dish turns without the other 2 wires hooked up so what do they do.also im hooked up to a Moteck H180 it keeps giving me an actuator error is the error cause im using the motor instead.Also what channel sould i put in for AMC9 KU band on this analog

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc9.html

TP ( channel ) 4 , 8 , 14 & 20 are shown to be analog , but they are feeds . They will not be on 24 hours a day . You may catch them and you may not .

If your KU is a LNBF , you may have the same polarity issues I discussed previously .

Wyr

With a "traditional" big dish setup, you have a 24 volt or 36 volt actuator (positioner) and a feedhorn with one or two LNB's attached.

-Actuator 4 wires...
The actuator has two wires to run the motor. Then two wires to give "feedback" to the receiver as to how many times the motor has turned. This is a "sensor".

-Feedhorn 3 wires + coax...
Then the feedhorn has a polorizer (servo) which has 3 wires and then each LNB would use one coax cable.

Half way down on this page it show wiring for a traditional BUD...
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp3.html#anchor489162

Im using a Motec H180 that is why i asked about the wire on the back of my analog uniden.It reads errror all the time is that ok cause the dish moves.with or with out the other 2 wires.

Im using a Motec H180 that is why i asked about the wire on the back of my analog uniden.It reads errror all the time is that ok cause the dish moves.with or with out the other 2 wires.
If it works , the error message should not hurt anything .

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)