Found another Birdview, a solid one

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
On my way back from St. Louis, I drove through an old sub-division I knew of, and spotted a mesh dish right off. Wasn't interested in it, looked like a 6 footer. So I drove around that sub-division some more, and was leaving, and as I was pulling out onto the main street, I saw this solid dish sticking up above a double-wide mobile home.

Shot across the street and pulled into this mobile home park. It has been there since the late fifties. Most of the lots were sold then instead of rented. I know because one of my aunts used to live in that park.

Swung down the street where this dish was, and sure enough it was an 8.5' solid Birdview. Made just like my mesh, except solid and painted white.

There was no one home, and the house looked vacant, so I knocked on the neighbor's door. She said the guy who bought it from the previous owner had only been there twice in the past year. Got the address, drove to City Hall, and looked up the land owner. Got the name, and came home.

Got on the internet, and had to pay twelve dollars to get the info I wanted, and it turned out to be the wrong guy, but the last listing was in Decatur Il. I had been looking in Missouri. It had a phone number, so I called and it was him.

Talked to him for a bit, he was all business. Said he had bought the property to fix up and re-sell. I made my usual offer to take it down if he wanted to get rid of it for free. He himmed and hawed for a bit, so I told him I would give him what he could get for recycling it. $25 or $50 dollars.

He took down my phone number, and said he was coming over next week when it warmed up a little. He asked if I was in a hurry, and I told him no. In the middle of negotiation is not the time to get in a hurry. :D He said he would let me know in less than 30 days, and maybe as soon as he comes over there next week.

Here are the pics:
bviews-distance.jpg bviews-closer.jpg bviews-distance-full.jpg

bviews-from-wunder.jpg bviews-from-wside.jpg bviews-from-center-mount.jpg

bviews-pole.jpg

I included the pole pictures because I wanted to ask your opinions on the best way to get this thing down. :D

I tapped on the pole, and I don't think this is a tube like the other one. I think it is at least schedule 40 pipe a full 6" OD and at least 12 foot long. It would almost have to be schedule 40 to be standing free on the concrete all these years. It is hollow too. The pole itself will weigh 200 lbs.

There is only about a foot or 18" between the roof and the pole. The dish sticks out over the roof. If the dish can be unbolted and taken off the mount first, I think the mount can be swung around where the heavy side is over the roof, and lifted off. Then it is a matter of cutting off the pole and laying it down.

I think I have at least a 75/25 chance of getting this dish. If so, it will go up for the family setup.

To answer your question in the other thread Chefwan, dishes can be anywhere. I didn't ever think I would see a high dollar dish like this in a mobile home park, but there it is. :D There are at least 8 - 10 more dishes in that park too.

Please give me some creative ideas on how to get it down. :D

Thanks,

Fred

birdview

i've never seen a birdview in SC maybe there mid west/west or something inless there. all i see here is old paraclise's and mesh type and old fiberglass ones. never seen a bird view at all

Well Birdview was a Kansas company, and the freight might have been to high to send them to SC. I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Look in the old well-to-do housing areas of the cities. You'll probably find one. You might even find one in a well-to-do small town.

Fred

Fred
I too spotted a birdview :) could be the twin to the one you found ... rolled alum sides ....so i stopped and talked to the person but he said it was promised to his nephew , and he would check on it , i told him i would check back in a couple of weeks but its a great dish hunting day.....i love the solid look of the birdview and its on a six inch pole .. i think i would remove the dish from the motor and then cut most of the pole off with a sawsall , i didn't know if you was planning or removing the pole from the ground. you might remove the motor first or only cut the pole partially and let its weight bend the pole a little at a time. great find you are a :hungry: great dish hunter :hungry:

Creative Idea #1

Please give me some creative ideas on how to get it down. :D
When I was in Viet Nam, and we wanted to put this giant log periodic V antenna on a 90 foot telephone pole...
...we used a chopper.
Since we were an air base, we had 'em coming out our . . .
It was for the MARS station.

Considering the height and proximity to the home...
...this one might cost you more than it's worth.

Why would you want a solid? Just to use on Ku?

She is a beauty, but I think I like your perforated one better.

I saw close to fifty of those solid birdviews about 3 or 4 weeks ago all around Tahlequah, Oklahoma, while working on a bunch of claims for a new client. One subdivision on the south side of town, by one of the golf courses, had one in every yard. One of may employees just went there yesterday, I may have to make the trip myself in a couple of weeks. I really don't need anymore dishes but one of those HH mounts would be nice to play with. I posted a couple of pictures from one of the yards that had two of the birdviews in this other thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=91483&highlight=portable+birdview

Yes i've got my nephew looking for one or two in OK :) i know you scouted the area and said there were a bunch

we need to start a "adventures in dish hunting" thread and just make a post for each one we find and a picture of it :)

You might be right Anole. It might not be worth the trouble. The only reason I want it is so the family can take advantage of the H-H mount that mine has. I like the looks of mine better too, but when that one is cleaned up and maybe painted, it will look a lot different. :D

George, I hope you get the one you spotted today. I think you are right about taking the dish off first, then the mount, then maybe the pole sections at a time. I definitely want the pole if it is schedule 40 or bigger. :D

Hi osu1991, I saw that post and your pictures, and I was foaming at the mouth at the thought of all those Birdviews. We should all get together and make a road trip down there with a trailer, and bring as many back as we can carry. :D The ones on the ground are definitely easier to take down. Mine was very easy to disassemble and take down.

I think your idea of adventures in dish hunting is a great idea. The problem is, that I dish hunt every day. :D

I have started making it a point to take a different route back home when I have time and have my work done, just to look around. It is truly amazing how many big dishes are still out there. Like I said, I saw 8 - 10 dishes today in a 20 block square area. Usually if you find one, there will be more, because the neighbors 20 years ago talked to their neighbors about a good thing. :D

We'll find more! I am going to keep looking for one on the ground, and if this guy takes too long, he may have to pay someone to take it down. :D

Fred

Fred
we sure think alike on the dish hunting.... :) i have wrote down a list of all the locations i drive by and what i saw there so i can go back to ask about it . I've got 8 primestar dishes 84E type and 1 that is a round type scouted out and several other buds .... i take a new route during a time when traffic is slow and jot down locations lol lol

I did the same thing until the list got so long I quit writing them down. :D

I had a friend suggest that I buy a GPS tracker, so I could stop, push a button, and record the location and take a tape recorder along to record what I found at that location. :D It is a good idea, but probably a little expensive for me.

I am going to start carrying the camera with me, and take a picture of every one I find, and if the mods will let us start a special thread for "Adventures in Dish Hunting" we'll all post pics of what we find. I think it would be great if we could try and identify them too. :D

We would eventually build a library of descriptions, and pictures so if anyone asked, we could just point to the picture, and ask if it looks like this one. :D

Fred

Hey Guys:

Did a google groups search for Birdview and found lots of posts and company history.

This business:
Birdview Satellite Service
151 E. Lexington Ave.
Independence, Mo 64050
(816) 252-2030

Was noted as being formed after Birdview shut down sometime in 2000. The poster said the service company was formed by former employees after the company was moved from Kansas to the Washburn satellite receiver factory in Missouri The Washburn company later shut down.

I'll try to find some more info.

Harold

Cool Harold,

I'd like to get as much info as possible about Birdview. I think it was a great company, and they certainly manufactured a great dish. :D

Like you said, more like a swiss watch than a satellite dish. :D

Fred

Nice find Fred, nice pics too. Sure is high though, be careful when he lets you get it. I know family comes first, but you know it was my birthday. So, I thought maybe you were taking it down to ship to me. Thanks, I'll really appreciate it. HeHeHe.....

Al

That's a nice thought Al!

I think shipping to Georgia might be a little steep with today's prices. :D

I am going to start doing what Inno talked about in the toy thread. I am going to collect the best ones and keep them for a rainy day. :D

You never know when you might need a part or a big wind comes along and cleans house for you. :D

You never know when you might need a part or a big wind comes along and cleans house for you. :D
I know what you mean, the tornado that hit my neighborhood a few weeks back, left someones dented Directv dish (no lnbf) out in the woods on the back of my property. Also a ceiling fan with broken blades, parts of a coffee maker, but mostly insulation and split lumber and roofing. But you're right, you never know.

Al

i went dish hunting yesterday from 1pm-4 after work spotted 6 dish's can you believe no one would let them go. they was like well i want a 1000 dollars my husband paid 3000 back when. i said well i cant give you that for a dish that old sorry and left and a few more told me no i dont think i want to let it go i know what you will do scrap it , i said no im into c-band its a hobby but they didnt buy it lol . i started to say hey im looking for a satellite a tree fell on mine . but it might happen so i did not use that line lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.