Analog recording?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

geekt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Florida
Are there any receivers that offer recording from analog?

I've noticed that there seem to still be a few analog signals up there. So, how would one go about recording them? Perhaps there are a few digital receiver boxes that offer recording from inputs? That way a cheap analog receiver could be purchased, and the output, preferably from s-video if possible, could then be routed through a digital box for recording.

I record a few analog items to a separate hard drive/DVD recorder

I dont know of any receiver that records analog.

Video capture via a card or usb probably the only way. I don't think a STB manufacturer are going to add an analog to digital converter into their product just to be able to record analog. Too costly for the benefit. Shoulda kept that VCR. They still work fine here.

I wouldn't say VCR's work "fine". VCR's are worthless to me. The tapes degrade too rapidly. I've played brand new tapes before that have occasional problems on their first viewing.

A year or two ago, I picked up a close-out on a DVD recorder.
It didn't have a new digital tuner, which is a requirement now.
The timer is like a VCR - you set the time and channel/input, and away it goes.
Only $40 new in the box.

It's got an Svideo input, and you -can- burn re-writable DVDs in it.
I used it for a short while.
Burn a DVD, then edit it on my computer.
Since then, more convenient solutions have turned up (for me).

Some advantages of the hard-drive-based DVD recorder Iceberg mentioned:
- it may be able to edit out commercials (?)
- likely can burn DVDs faster than 1x
- you can make multiple copies of your DVD.
And if you find one for $40, get it! - :eek:

edit:
Much like VCRs, DVD recorders can record at multiple resolutions.
They call them 1hr, 2hr, 4hr, 8hr, and 10 hour speeds.
You may put up with the 4 hr speed for mediocre quality FTA or other sources.
I won't!
The 2 hour speed is pretty much normal, and recommended.
If you have unusually high quality source, and demand the best, the 1 hour speed might be tried.
Only if you are recording a security camera for the day, would I even consider the 8hr or 10 hr speeds!

Last edited:
Yes, I have a DVD recorder as well. It's complete crud. I think it's easier to get a hard disk recorder that allows you to transfer the videos to a computer for recording to DVD.

I wouldn't say VCR's work "fine". VCR's are worthless to me. The tapes degrade too rapidly. I've played brand new tapes before that have occasional problems on their first viewing.
I have a few concert recordings, on VHS HI-FI that were taped in the mid 80's and they still play fine! :eek: Good ol' Hitachi VT-86A... I miss that machine.

What I use to record analog is an old standalone series I TIVO. I can then extract the recordings to my computer in .ty format, and can convert that to .mpg, or play them on the computer in .ty format with VLC. I don't do it often, but when I need to, that's what I use. The TIVO isn't real super quality, but it's not bad.

The VCR will only record 220-240 lines of resolution for NTSC
I agree with FatAir, a cheap pc capture card is the best way to go to capture the full res.

Even something like a startech SVID2USB2 video capture cable would probably work.

Just a suggestion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)