Angels Blackouts

I have to reserve completely agreeing with Dish on this. It's possible it's a cost they did not anticipate with current pricing in place. But unless Dish is saying when the contract is up they still won't pay what is being asked for the added games then it would seem they could just add them now and be done with it. The missing element however is how much is being exhorted.....sorry, I mean being asked. I'm sure the RSN knows the position the provider is in when this happens. I'm not certain but isn't there another market where this is happening?

You sure do spend a lot of time in the Dish thread to be a Directv customer....just saying
as staff and a former Dish sub last I checked I can come in this area and post info or debate. Trolling....no but debate yes. Heck I found the info as to why they are being blacked out. Going through this last year with the Twins and FS North I know first hand

He used to be (still might be) a Dish customer as well.
Actually cancelled it in February. Thought the D* contract was up but forgot it was extended until December this year

But there aren't too many more knowledgeable about DBS..... Just sayin...

Agreed. Iceberg has every right to be a part of this discussion. He's been through these disputes with DISH before.
exactly. Last year with FS North and the Twins. And with 2 family members who still have Dish I try and stay up to date :)

And I might add that Iceberg hit the nail on the head in the San Diego Padre version of this same situation. I get NO baseball because the cheap bas***ds at Dish can't deal with the reduction to their bottom line paying Fox Sports would mean.

Charlie has never and will never put customers ahead of his payday

Some might ask: "Just how much money does he need?"

The answer seems to be "More than he would pocket if he paid to carry the Angel and Padre games."

Are you using the browse feature and trying all the channels listed? Often the Rays will be listed on 4 channels, but only available on 2.. Often an ALT channel.

And I might add that Iceberg hit the nail on the head in the San Diego Padre version of this same situation. I get NO baseball because the cheap bas***ds at Dish can't deal with the reduction to their bottom line paying Fox Sports would mean.

I know on Directv its a part time (game time) only channel but Dish hasnt signed up to carry it yet (surprise surprise)

it sounds like its a 24/7 channel...at least on cable

but from what I read it simulcasts lots of stuff from FS W & Prime Ticket. Cox site shows the following as RSN's
FS West
FS San Diego
FS San Diego in Spanish

Mochuf said:
The pay-tv providers need to do a better job with contracts. Just because you add content shouldn't mean that you can bust a contract and demand more money. What happens if the hockey team you carry doesn't make the playoffs and you don't have those first round games? Does the channel refund money to the pay-tv provider?

The games that were shown on KCOP probably weren't part of the agreement. It's hard to predict stuff like that when setting up contracts. Negotiators work out the details, the lawers are the ones who convert those details to leagalese, and it seems like Fox created a loophole for themselves to be able to do something like this. Eventually the networks will become so big that they will end up collapsing on themselves.

We already see Dish being the first to make a shift with sports from what happened in the NY market. It'll be interesting to see how things work 5 years from now. I bet there are going to be some big changes to the industry.

I miss the good old days when commercials were only a minute and gas was less than $1. Things seemed so much less complicated back then.

Dish customer for three years. VIP722k with sling adapter, 2 VIP211Ks, 40" Sony Vega, 55" Samsung DLP, HP DV-7, EVO View tablet, EVO 3D, Xbox360. I speak for myself and no one else :p

Blaming Dish in a situation like this is same as saying that all a car needs to work properly is gas. There is more to it. Dish is cheap? Yes! There are plenty of situations that support that argument. But, let's look at the Angels and FOX . Once upon a time most games were broadcast free to the viewer. The teams and leagues were finding new ways to make money. Players wanted bigger salaries, knowing this, and got their pay day. The team began to find ways to generate more revenue. Leagues upped the price of broadcast rights, and these networks cried that it cost too much to carry the games. Bulls**t! If it's too much, then cut your loss. Don't let them have you think for a minute that they aren't making money off the deal. Ad revenue comes in. Now they don't want to piss off their main source of income, so f*** the viewer over, charge the providers up their asses. Now most providers cave on two grounds. One, they force these channels on the viewer and get the money, and two, they know the viewer wants it. Dish, looks the other way and tries to act tough, but without law suits and buying companies Dish would cave too.

Finally, there's us, the viewer. We all have our fixation on something that doesn't challenge our intellectual ability. We need to see a game every night after our long day's work. Don't ask me to think, I don't want to think, I just want to zone out and let the big screen do all the thinking for me. Sports are entertaining and yes I do love them. But I make it a point to limit my viewing. I listen to many games on the radio while doing something constructive. You want to kill this problem. Keep viewing, but stop making it your obsession. The dumbest people in America are the ones that call sports talk radio crying when their team loses. "I can't go to work, I'm to sad." These people and their fixations are what drives cooperate America to continue this downhill spiral of our economy. Government isn't the problem. Us being idiots are the problem.

Same old story with Dish. Market changed and Dish automatically went hard line. SOP. Nearly everyone worked it out, but it will take Dish awhile. It always does. In the mean time they saved you two or three cents, so you should thank them.

And tonight, May 2, 2012, DISH NETWORK, prevented me from seeing Jared Weaver pitch a no-hitter against the Minnesota Twins. I don't even know if Pujols contributed to the Angels 9 runs in the game. HIGHWAY ROBBERY DISH!

Bottom line is that Dish is NOT the sports leader in the MVPD. That really does belong to DirecTV, and I would suggest that those who want as close to a guarantee that all games will be offered, if that is what is the most important to you, then DirecTV the place to be. It will come at a higher cost to you, in far too many situations, but it may break even for some, but at least the extra $$ each month goes to offset those costs, to some degree.

Dish has always stressed it price and done everything to keep it as low as they can to be competitive. DirecTV is a fine service, but I am not a sports fan, and I know several sports fans who feel, after smarting a bit, they don't want to pay the DirecTV prices just to get a few additional games or even 24/7 RSN's in HD. Sometimes they just prefer Dish packages and DVR and SERVICE and as much as they love sports, they are level-headed, too. Further, some very affluent of even wealthy who do love live sports and are enthusiastic thind that people who buy NFL Sunday ticket and the like are "idots." That is there assessment, not mine. They just don't see the value in paying to see every NFL or NBA or MLB game, and consider it "silly." Their assessment, again, not mine. As wealthy as they are, I keep asking them, since they have the money, why they just don't buy it and enjoy it, and they scoff. But to each their own. I say, if you can afford it, and would like it, buy Sunday Ticket or whatever. They know and accept Dish NOT being the sports leader, but being the best MVPD for them in every other respect.

It is good we have choices, and, frankly, if all the sports folks would move to DirecTV, Dish can get rid of RSN's and other sports offerings outside of locals and ESPN and TNT, etc., that drive up everyone's rates. In fact, Ergan is trying to get an on-line service much like Dish but with no expensive sports offerings (I can't remember if it was Goolge or Microsoft who also didn't want sports either.) While such a service is not for those who like to watch even some sports, it is an attempt to serve a large market of folks who just don't want it at all, and the rates would be lower, and that is the point of the service.

In our household, we know Dish may elect not to renew a channel, and we are OK with it as there are a lot of other channels and other sources. I don't want to see the Dish bill look like FiOS (which seems to be a good service) no DirecTV nor even our Charter Cable. Dish is by far the best value among our choices of MVPD's. Accept that Dish is Dish, and if you want sports, it is DirecTV.

And if one is reduced to using crass words in posts that have to have some letters replaced by symbols (#*$%), then it is best that you call Dish to complain and immediately, or when your contract is up, or even pay the remaining penalty if it isn't too much, cancel your Dish account and move to another provider who meets your sports demands. Why are those people here in the first place. No MVPD is going to really guarantee they would elect NOT to air some games if it means extra money in the middle of a contract. AT&T isn't paying and airing, either. The RSN's WON'T allow their channels to be offered a la carte so that those who want to can pay the cost and see every game, while others see lower bills. So, it is even harder, one would think, to blame Dish more than Fox, et al. Please vote with your pocketbook.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, it's not as if Fox is providing alternate programming such as the per-produced junk shows they have at a designated transponder (no real cost for Fox to do this either) to those who don't pay for the additional Angles games so that FOX Sports customers don't look at a slate during the game. But Fox DOES want the MVPD's put into the position of having to put up a slate while FOX hopes that puts pressure on the MVPD. See, there is a reason for almost everything.

I feel for the Angel fans. Dish could fix this, but they won't while it is a hot topic. They have their hardline stance to protect and anti sports customers to appease. Next year all the Angel games will be included and no one will notice a price increase because of it. All Angel fans should leave because of this. I am a Ranger fan and if this happened to them I would leave in a heartbeat Dish provides a good service, but their stance on sports is getting old. If they don't want to provide sports, then they should drop them and we sports fans would go elsewhere. But they won't, because they are smarter than that.

As I have said, the ultimate responsibility lies with the team. When they sell their TV rights, they have to make sure that situations like this cannot happen. I am waiting for a reply to my letter to Angels owner Arte Moreno. After what happened last night, I am going to be even more pro-active with him to see that he not only provides me with what I am already paying for, but that he forces Fox and/or Dish to comply with his rights under his contract with Fox. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that Fox is in breach of their contract with the Angels when Dish doesn't show the games. That's how I'd be approaching it if I was Mr. Moreno.

DishSubLA said:
Bottom line is that Dish is NOT the sports leader in the MVPD. That really does belong to DirecTV, and I would suggest that those who want as close to a guarantee that all games will be offered, if that is what is the most important to you, then DirecTV the place to be. It will come at a higher cost to you, in far too many situations, but it may break even for some, but at least the extra $$ each month goes to offset those costs, to some degree.

Dish has always stressed it price and done everything to keep it as low as they can to be competitive. DirecTV is a fine service, but I am not a sports fan, and I know several sports fans who feel, after smarting a bit, they don't want to pay the DirecTV prices just to get a few additional games or even 24/7 RSN's in HD. Sometimes they just prefer Dish packages and DVR and SERVICE and as much as they love sports, they are level-headed, too. Further, some very affluent of even wealthy who do love live sports and are enthusiastic thind that people who buy NFL Sunday ticket and the like are "idots." That is there assessment, not mine. They just don't see the value in paying to see every NFL or NBA or MLB game, and consider it "silly." Their assessment, again, not mine. As wealthy as they are, I keep asking them, since they have the money, why they just don't buy it and enjoy it, and they scoff. But to each their own. I say, if you can afford it, and would like it, buy Sunday Ticket or whatever. They know and accept Dish NOT being the sports leader, but being the best MVPD for them in every other respect.

It is good we have choices, and, frankly, if all the sports folks would move to DirecTV, Dish can get rid of RSN's and other sports offerings outside of locals and ESPN and TNT, etc., that drive up everyone's rates. In fact, Ergan is trying to get an on-line service much like Dish but with no expensive sports offerings (I can't remember if it was Goolge or Microsoft who also didn't want sports either.) While such a service is not for those who like to watch even some sports, it is an attempt to serve a large market of folks who just don't want it at all, and the rates would be lower, and that is the point of the service.

In our household, we know Dish may elect not to renew a channel, and we are OK with it as there are a lot of other channels and other sources. I don't want to see the Dish bill look like FiOS (which seems to be a good service) no DirecTV nor even our Charter Cable. Dish is by far the best value among our choices of MVPD's. Accept that Dish is Dish, and if you want sports, it is DirecTV.

And if one is reduced to using crass words in posts that have to have some letters replaced by symbols (#*$%), then it is best that you call Dish to complain and immediately, or when your contract is up, or even pay the remaining penalty if it isn't too much, cancel your Dish account and move to another provider who meets your sports demands. Why are those people here in the first place. No MVPD is going to really guarantee they would elect NOT to air some games if it means extra money in the middle of a contract. AT&T isn't paying and airing, either. The RSN's WON'T allow their channels to be offered a la carte so that those who want to can pay the cost and see every game, while others see lower bills. So, it is even harder, one would think, to blame Dish more than Fox, et al. Please vote with your pocketbook.

You say if you want sports go with directv. People have been using that line on this site for years but I don't think it's true anymore. Most people that say that probably aren't sports fans and don't realize how much more dish offers than almost every other provider. The main reason people say that is because of the NY RSNs. If you don't live in NY and you get your RSN Dish is way better for sports than cable or any other provider besides directv. We get FS Detroit, Big Ten Network, all the ESPNs, NFL Network, Redzone, Strikezone, NBA TV, MLB Network, NHL Network, NBC sports, CBS sports, Universal sports, and Fuel (the new home of UFC live events). That's everything I can get with directv except for a couple out of market sports packages. All of these except for redzone and Strikezone are in my base package. Cable either doesn't offer or requires the sports pack for over half of those channels. Bottom line is, if you don't live in NY dish is great for sports.

My problem with all of your points is the contract. The people upset in this situation are people who signed contracts with their RSN fully included. Dish can and does drop any programming they want after your contract is signed and you can't do anything about it except give them more money as a cancelation fee. If they take any programming from us that we signed up for we should be able to switch providers with no charge. We are required to do our part and pay on time every month but they are allowed to change anything at any time.

Last edited:
Blaming Dish in a situation like this is same as saying that all a car needs to work properly is gas. There is more to it. Dish is cheap? Yes! There are plenty of situations that support that argument. But, let's look at the Angels and FOX . Once upon a time most games were broadcast free to the viewer. The teams and leagues were finding new ways to make money. Players wanted bigger salaries, knowing this, and got their pay day. The team began to find ways to generate more revenue. Leagues upped the price of broadcast rights, and these networks cried that it cost too much to carry the games. Bulls**t! If it's too much, then cut your loss. Don't let them have you think for a minute that they aren't making money off the deal. Ad revenue comes in. Now they don't want to piss off their main source of income, so f*** the viewer over, charge the providers up their asses. Now most providers cave on two grounds. One, they force these channels on the viewer and get the money, and two, they know the viewer wants it. Dish, looks the other way and tries to act tough, but without law suits and buying companies Dish would cave too.

Finally, there's us, the viewer. We all have our fixation on something that doesn't challenge our intellectual ability. We need to see a game every night after our long day's work. Don't ask me to think, I don't want to think, I just want to zone out and let the big screen do all the thinking for me. Sports are entertaining and yes I do love them. But I make it a point to limit my viewing. I listen to many games on the radio while doing something constructive. You want to kill this problem. Keep viewing, but stop making it your obsession. The dumbest people in America are the ones that call sports talk radio crying when their team loses. "I can't go to work, I'm to sad." These people and their fixations are what drives cooperate America to continue this downhill spiral of our economy. Government isn't the problem. Us being idiots are the problem.
:rolleyes:
I was somewhat with you (although I did not agree with everything) until that last paragraph.

Sorry if you don't like the reality that we are mentally addicted to sports. People won't die because they didn't see a game. Try to read a book, quite frankly Fahrenheit 451 would be great. So roll your eyes all you want, but remember you are choosing to turn a blind eye to a piece of this problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)