Angels Blackouts

Sorry if you don't like the reality that we are mentally addicted to sports. People won't die because they didn't see a game. Try to read a book, quite frankly Fahrenheit 451 would be great. So roll your eyes all you want, but remember you are choosing to turn a blind eye to a piece of this problem.
It isn't just sports, it's TV and movies and video games in general. My daughter got upset yesterday when one of her Sabrina the Teenage Witch episodes didn't record due to a conflict (and no overnight re-airing). I had to sit her down and have a talk with her about perspective and priorities.

Sorry if you don't like the reality that we are mentally addicted to sports. People won't die because they didn't see a game. Try to read a book, quite frankly Fahrenheit 451 would be great. So roll your eyes all you want, but remember you are choosing to turn a blind eye to a piece of this problem.
Yes, Sir. Anything else you would like me to read?

Anyway, the issue isn't about getting every single game or not being able to watch every single game. The issue is getting what you are paying for.

A fan might not want to watch every single game, but it may be one of those days where they may want to watch that one game during the week as something different. That one game happens to be the game that was not shown that was originally supposed to be shown. Sure it is not the end of the world, but I can understand being upset if something you planned and payed for was not available.

As far as you premise about our society being addicted to sports. I don't see that as all that big of an issue. Only a small percentage of people are addicted to sports. The bigger issue is our sense of entitlement in general by those whom feel they should get a lot for nothing.

DishSubLA said:
And if one is reduced to using crass words in posts that have to have some letters replaced by symbols (#*$%), then it is best that you call Dish to complain and immediately, or when your contract is up, or even pay the remaining penalty if it isn't too much, cancel your Dish account and move to another provider who meets your sports demands. Why are those people here in the first place. No MVPD is going to really guarantee they would elect NOT to air some games if it means extra money in the middle of a contract. AT&T isn't paying and airing, either. The RSN's WON'T allow their channels to be offered a la carte so that those who want to can pay the cost and see every game, while others see lower bills. So, it is even harder, one would think, to blame Dish more than Fox, et al. Please vote with your pocketbook.

I guess that you are receding to me. I was addressing the attitude of the whole system. Sorry if my "crass" words bruised your ego.

DodgerKing said:
Yes, Sir. Anything else you would like me to read?

Anyway, the issue isn't about getting every single game or not being able to watch every single game. The issue is getting what you are paying for.

A fan might not want to watch every single game, but it may be one of those days where they may want to watch that one game during the week as something different. That one game happens to be the game that was not shown that was originally supposed to be shown. Sure it is not the end of the world, but I can understand being upset if something you planned and payed for was not available.

As far as you premise about our society being addicted to sports. I don't see that as all that big of an issue. Only a small percentage of people are addicted to sports. The bigger issue is our sense of entitlement in general by those whom feel they should get a lot for nothing.

Sorry but you are wrong. Look at our society where athletes are respected greater than our elected leaders, doctors, civil workers, laborers. How many radio stations in the last few years killed off to make room for 24/7 sports talk. Americans make their living talking about a game they aren't involved in. The superbowl this year will more than likely generate more American viewers than every presidental debate combined. I won't die not getting to see the game that I wanted, people need to drop the formula and start wearing their big boy pants. That's how we stop these cooperations from screwing us repeatedly, by showing them that we choose them, not need them.

Sorry but you are wrong. Look at our society where athletes are respected greater than our elected leaders, doctors, civil workers, laborers. How many radio stations in the last few years killed off to make room for 24/7 sports talk. Americans make their living talking about a game they aren't involved in. The superbowl this year will more than likely generate more American viewers than every presidental debate combined. I won't die not getting to see the game that I wanted, people need to drop the formula and start wearing their big boy pants. That's how we stop these cooperations from screwing us repeatedly, by showing them that we choose them, not need them.
I don't dissagree with you here. I don't think the determining variable is sports addiction. The variable is celebrity, popularity, and fame. People in our society strive for fame above many other important attributes. Most people in our society are not addicted to sports. But the few that are help promote the celebrity image of the athletes.

Last edited:
I can see you where you are coming from and yes, fame is a driving issue in America. But I guess that we are going to have to agree to disagree. Also, I'm not blaming people for being mad. If I pay for a product I don't want my access to be limited. But I also feel the way I express about the obsession the viewers have.

Ummm this is a product that we pay for. If you went and paid for a tank of gas but they only gave you 3/4 of a tank you wouldn't be upset? Your comments about society have nothing to do with this. Some of us pay for television mostly because we want to see our teams play. No we won't die if we don't get to see them but we are paying for them so why should we just be happy and accept it when we don't get what we pay for? Your entire argument could be applied to any and all tv besides maybe CSPAN. CNN and Fox News are filled with people talking about political decisions they aren't involved in. I fail to see how sports is somehow worse for us than general cable tv programs like Jersey Shore. Why don't you cancel your subscription and only watch PBS from now on? I don't think you will die from that either.

At least sports have some redeeming qualities. They promote things like teamwork and fitness. What are we gaining from other general programing?

Yes king3pj, but these political decisions that we aren't involved in affect us one way or another, by financial or legal means, etc. In sports, what do we gain out of these games? What we wanted to see happened or it didn't, the end. Now others will argue the financial gains cities make from team sports, but in my opinion that is of a different discussion. I'm discussing the reason behind individuals gain from these games. I agree with you about paid services though.

Last edited:
Maybe some are addicted to sports, maybe not. Maybe Dish is to blame for not having all the games, maybe not entirely. I'm guessing none of it matters when Joe or Judy America gets home from work and just wants to watch the ballgame. I could make it more philosophical, and say it's the system and greed, etc.. etc..., I could repeat that getting Direct TV is your best bet of this not happening, but still in the end the complaint of missing games is understandable to me. Some good points are being raised, but not to me if you feel the OP has no complaint.

Yes king3pj, but these political decisions that we aren't involved in affect us one way or another, by financial or legal means, etc. In sports, what do we gain out of these games. What we wanted to see happened or it didn't, the end. I agree with you about paid services though.

I do understand that being informed in the news is more important than being informed in sports. I watch the news as I get ready for work every morning. When I am paying for entertainment I want to see something entertaining though. I like to watch sports more than any other programing. I also like watching The Walking Dead, Mad Men, and Game of Thrones. What am I gaining from watching any of those shows though? I wanted to see if Rick lived or got eaten by a zombie. I didn't gain anything from that except for maybe what not to do if we ever have a zombie apocalypse. The truth is it's just entertainment and we gain nothing from most of it.

This is a prime example of a snowball rolling down a hill. I am saying that the system is somewhat flawed, from our obvious and open obsession to the leagues/players knoning and exploiting, to the networks exploiting it, to the providers either exploiting or in Dish's case telling people too GD bad for you. I'm not invalidating the OP's complaint, but providing a personal view on the Macro Economical issue being addressed here. As for the OP's Micro Economical issue, I don't blame you for being upset.

king3pj said:
I do understand that being informed in the news is more important than being informed in sports. I watch the news as I get ready for work every morning. When I am paying for entertainment I want to see something entertaining though. I like to watch sports more than any other programing. I also like watching The Walking Dead, Mad Men, and Game of Thrones. What am I gaining from watching any of those shows though? I wanted to see if Rick lived or got eaten by a zombie. I didn't gain anything from that except for maybe what not to do if we ever have a zombie apocalypse. The truth is it's just entertainment and we gain nothing from most of it.

Yes, you get it. My cousin who called out of work three conservative days for feeling physical ill due to the Bruins loss, and Dare2Be's daughter doesn't get it though.

Speaking of macroeconomics, I wish I could easily find the stats to back this up, but it seems to me that average spending on entertainment and technology has gone way up in recent years, relative to total spending. People have to have the latest video game at $50+ a pop, so many don't even think twice about spending over $100/month on pay-tv services and unlimited cell/data/video services. Others willfully pay over hundreds of dollars for NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL packages just for the privilege of seeing their one team they are a fan of, others so they can participate in fantasy sports. People will fork over $50-$100 dollars just for a single PPV UFC or boxing event. How many have purchased the iPhone/iPad when it came out, then bought every incarnation of them every few years? People have been buying HDTVs to replace their reliable SD CRTs due to the digital switch, then every few years buying more to keep up with the changing technology or augment their current TV viewership. Movie studios had seen a decline in theater attendance, so they come up with the latest incarnation of 3D (ex. Avatar) to generate interest once again in going out to watch a movie...coupled with new 3D TVs that consumers are now compelled to spend even more money on after already ugrading their TVs to HD. I imagine many households spend more on entertainment per month than they do on groceries.

No wonder this recession is slow to recover, and our societal health (financial, physical, emotional) is taking a nosedive. It's like the decadent fall of the Roman Empire.

Short Comment: Yes, I would have preferred to see Jared pitch that excellent game "live" last night but it was not shown on DISH. Fortunately I have MLB.TV and was able to watch it after the actual game...skipping from inning to inning and finally watching that fantastic climax of the game. If baseball is important to the fan, MLB.TV is the way to go.

I got a call this evening from a representative of the Angels' front office. We had a nice conversation and he indicated that everything the Angels can do is being done. They are relaying every complaint they get to Fox and he indicated they could not interfere contractually between Fox and Dish. But he assured me that maximum pressure is being put on Fox and he was in total agreement that the team is ultimately responsible for the situation but that the terms of the contract were not in breach technically. He did however say that they do feel that Fox is using loopholes that they never imagined would be used in this manner.

I appreciate the support I have gotten from everyone here. If you are a Dish subscriber in the Los Angeles market and are being deprived of your Angels games, it was suggested that you too write to the team and make your voice heard. They were hopeful that a resolution was forthcoming soon and the more input they had from fans, the more likely it would be sooner. He said letters, better than phone or email to both Fox Sports and Dish would be helpful as well.

LET'S LET OUR POWER AS CONSUMERS SHOW.

I guess that you are receding to me. I was addressing the attitude of the whole system. Sorry if my "crass" words bruised your ego.

No bruises. I just think that if people are "that upset" with an MVPD, they should leave ASAP (close to end or after commitment) and tell that service, Dish in this case, why they are leaving and going to whomever. That is the ONLY thing (MONEY) ANY of these companies really understand, and it is at the heart of our free market competition system.

I was ready and picked out everything I wanted to go to DirecTV due to Dish's MIA Whole Home Solution, but Dish finally released it, and I am staying with Dish. The point is that DirecTV offer a competitive product: There 6 tuner whole home system. I think Dish and DirecTV's best Whole Home DVR solution each have their strengths and weaknesses, but overall are good. If Dish should make me feel that unhappy or furious, then I have no problem going to Direct, even it is a little more $$ because I certainly wouldn't want to give my money to a company that awakens such passions within me. Give to someone who at least pretends to appreciate it.

Now, if they would only get FiOS to our block, that would be very interesting for us. However, in all cases, Dish is the least expensive and best value, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to pay a little more for what we really want if it makes $$$ sense. I just think a number of people would be happier at another MVPD, especially because Dish and Charlie have repeatedly shown and said that sports is NOT their number one priority, and I'm not sure it is even 2nd. If I were a rabid sports fan, I would be at DirecTV in a heartbeat.

Each MVPD has its strengths and weaknesses and will be a better fit for one person, but not the next, etc. We need to vote with our pocketbooks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)