Anik F1R C with Chaparral feed & LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fafhrd2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Fairmont WV
Hello and rejoice in improving weather in the Northeast!

I have an offset Ku solid 2.4 m 110 volt dish that is set
in fixed position facing south -- roughly toward 100 deg. W.
From left to right I have lnbfs stuck in ground on poles/rods
and secured with clamps: BSC 621 -2 C band receiving G99C with good signal on most transponders; 0.4 db Ku getting 101 Ku all channels; and 0.5 db Ku receiving all channels. Now I'd like to watch A Channel Halifax on F1RC
at 107 W. Hooked up a Chapparal feed w scalar rings and
a Chaparral 20 degree noise Hemt lnb and get 80 per cent
level but 0 quality when moving the feed around slightly to the right of the 103 deg lnb. I can adjust polarity by manually turning the plastic rotator that is made to connect to a polarotor servo. Have tried setting receiver to 4 or 5
different transponders some H some V with no luck, and moving the feed in and out, left and right with the probe in various positions. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks very much.

fafhrd2, sorry, I don't have any suggestions to help you with your question but I'm certain everyone would like to see a picture of your setup, it sounds very interesting! :)

unless you chop part of the scaler ring you wont be able to get that close each other

I know when I tried to get 99/103 I had to cut part of the scaler rings to get 103 added and there was no scaler ring for 103

If you take 2 C-band LNB's with scaler rings put together it will be 8 degrees apart...I'll post pics tonight of what I mean....or just do a search in here for "2 LNB's on one dish"

Anik F1C Revisited

Thank you Phlatwound, Iceberg and others who responded to my post of Thursday. I took 4 pictures of my dishes and one of the Chapparal/C Hemt that I have mounted on a camera tripod. As soon as I figure out howto copy them from my computer desktop to the message window, I'll send them!
Best regards.

Thank you Phlatwound, Iceberg and others who responded to my post of Thursday. I took 4 pictures of my dishes and one of the Chapparal/C Hemt that I have mounted on a camera tripod. As soon as I figure out howto copy them from my computer desktop to the message window, I'll send them!
Best regards.
For attaching pictures, when you write your post, just scroll down below the Submit Reply and Preview Post buttons, and . . .
click on Manage Attachments.
It's all a smooth ride from there. :cool:

As for your LNB optimization, I would take note of three things:

- the focal length of your dish.
Since offset feed dishes have higher F/D ratio than prime feed dishes, they have a longer focal length.
The longer the focal length, the farther apart the LNBFs would be, all other things being equal.

- whether the satellites you want are close to your current longitude (or true south)
If they are due south and high in the sky, the LNBFs would be farther apart.
If they are close to your horizon, they appear closer together, and you would need the LNBFs to be closer together.

- an offset dish will benefit from a conical scalar on C-band. (more info)
A Prime Feed dish would use a flat scalar for best performance.
Your Ku LNBFs are likely made for offset dishes, and have a conical scalar built in, so they are already optimized.

Is this for a 6' dish? Or would it be the same for an 8' or 10'?

It would probably be a smidge different...same as the difference when working with a 30" KU dish vs a 1.2m dish

You might be able to get 6 degree different on a 10 footer and 2 sets of scaler rings

Several dishes now

Just got a free Dish Pro dish with 3 lnbfs, one was a Band Stacked FSS unit that I plan to use for PBS on 125 W Ku using 3/4 of a 10 foot center focus mesh -- one panel missing. I get G 18 Equity channels with this setup, though for how long, who knows? Here are pictures of dishes, etc.

Attachments

• IMG00001.JPG
    IMG00001.JPG
    845.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG00002.JPG
    IMG00002.JPG
    555.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG00003.JPG
    IMG00003.JPG
    731.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG00004.JPG
    IMG00004.JPG
    835.5 KB · Views: 194
Looking at pic #4 I see you have taken the servo motor off and the plastic probe coupler has backed out of the feed housing a bit. I would push it back in and put a piece of tape over it to keep it in place. When tweaking my 1.2 meter AMC 8 dish I did the same thing since I needed only one polarity. Mine backed out like that and when I pushed it back in it brought the quality up 2 or 3 Q's...made a difference.

fafhrd2, glad to see another person close to me here in WV!

Iceberg: damn...that 2nd pic is pretty "ghetto"... :D

I agree with Iceberg that is GREAT! Just when you saw it all man! Great job on the rigging! Nice Pictures! Just thought I would buzz in off subject for a sec to say :welcome to The Satellite Guys!

You are in the right place for Everything Satellite! :up

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)