Anik G1 went up today!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
As soon as anyone knows of a channel on g1 to see if we can get Anik g1, could please post which channel to check?

Thanks, couldn't seem to get links to post yesterday. Scroll to the bottom for the launch live stream. Starts in two hours.

is this the anik that will limit the viewership of viewers in the us? I am in los angeles, still saving my dimes and haven't got shaw yet hope its not to late. been without bell since jully 5th 2012.

You have not read the details....while Anik G1 will not cover southern California, Anik F1R and Anik F2 will continue to do so. There is no reason to wait---because nothing changes, even with the successful launch of this new satellite, which is designed primarily for Canada, with limited overspill to neighboring border states. The existing two satellites are not going anywhere, and will stay in service.

is this the anik that will limit the viewership of viewers in the us? I am in los angeles, still saving my dimes and haven't got shaw yet hope its not to late. been without bell since jully 5th 2012.

It goes up tomorrow afternoon, actually. It'll be a while after that before we see programming.
. It only took Bell with Nimiq4 a week and a half before they started swapping satellites. I just assumed that Shaw would have a test channel on somewhat soon in order to verify that the LNB and receiver were properly working

Mike: do you have replacement LNBs that will be able to pick up xKu on 107.3? I have a two-dish set up with an external powered multiswitch and live in the border zone, well within the footprint of the new G1. Thanks!

We do indeed have a 2 output LNBF that duplicates the 107.3 West side of the equation. If someone was in the footprint for Anik G1, especially with an existing system that has two separate LNBFs for Anik F1R and F2 (107.3, 111), this can be put in place of the existing 107 LNBF and be backwards compatible with a Shaw receiver mapped for XKu LNBF. I also have antenna/LNBF/switch combos for those in situations such as having a single dish installed years ago for 107 only, and now want to update their systems. Will have a new paper on options at the Global website later in the week...have been holding off until the satellite lit up. Biggest challenge will be attempting to collect data on live signals beyond their mapped EIRP contours that presently are available down to +48 dBm. There should be a significant area between Cincinnati and Atlanta that may not work for Anik G1 on a stock 75E antenna, but if a large enough offset (say 4 to 8 feet) was thrown at the problem, small miracles may be possible. Stay tuned. Reception reports welcomed at globalcm@mhtc.net once some channels are running. Thank you!

Mike: do you have replacement LNBs that will be able to pick up xKu on 107.3? I have a two-dish set up with an external powered multiswitch and live in the border zone, well within the footprint of the new G1. Thanks!

Canadians with a recently installed 60E or 75E system simply need a proper Xtended Quad Ku-Band LNBF and a DSR-600 series receiver. Contact your Shaw Direct dealer for a new Xtended type device (4 output) upgrade.

Those wanting more signal (especially in locations further than 300 miles from Canadian soil) need to consider a larger dish.
I have just written a revised paper on Shaw Direct reception for snowbirds and others to the south, and it is now available at www.global-cm.net/SDreception.html There will be a detailed discussion on SatTalk this evening (WED-April 17) between 9 and 11pm EDT, right after the Satellite Nation broadcast an hour before us. (Satellite Nation is on Satellite Guys Radio; SatTalk is at Access America).

Those with a separate dish on Anik F1R only can replace the existing 10750 MHz Ku-band LNBF with a new Xtended Ku-band LNBF strictly for both occupants of the 107.3 West slot (Anik G1 and Anik F1R). A separate LNBF (and dish) using conventional 10750 MHz local oscillator is needed on 111.1 West (Anik F2).

So with this new sat those that want to pick up channels from it will they need anew dish or will the present one work with a 3rd LNB?

Can someone please post when the satellite has signal on it and which channel to check? Thanks to all! I read on another forum that the US uses that frequency for terrestrial microwave. I am worried that the footprint will be just as tight as Bell's 91.

Right now Anik G1 is geostationary at 109.2 degrees, where presumably they are testing it before moving it to 107.3 degrees. I've been watching it with a spectrum analyzer but have not seen any signal on Ku other than its two telemetry beacons.

It remains to be seen if I will be able see any signal here in the Southwestern U.S. I don't interpret the footprint map as showing no coverage much south of the Canadian border, but rather that they don't tell us what that coverage will be. The map only shows signal levels down to 48 dBW. It is a physical impossibility not to have lower contours, 47, 46, etc. But we won't know where those are until they light up some transponders. I will post if I see anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)