Announced wireless Joey

llzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
St Louis
As I read from Scott's CES reports, Dish will release a supported wireless joey. It will operate from a wireless access point. Will the wireless access point be a wired device back to???? a Hopper, my wireless gateway, or?
I'll switch back to dish once released, but my Uverse wireless access point (located in a 2nd floor closet) is connected via a CAT 6 cable to the basement gateway.

I would like to reuse the wiring.

My guess is it will utilize the Hopper's second Ethernet port :) .

And that would be a good guess according to what Vivek said on the retailer chat yesterday. He also said it can be hooked to a wired Joey's Ethernet port. I re-played that part twice to make sure I heard it right. :)

I'm pretty sure it can hook to the Hopper or directly to the router, anywhere that it can get into the network.
Don't think so, it's designed to be isolated from the existing home network so it only connects to the Hopper or Joey.

Don't think so, it's designed to be isolated from the existing home network so it only connects to the Hopper or Joey.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked on the home network as well. Just like the current Joey can.

How would it link to the Hopper if it were not connected to the MoCA network in some way since there is no coax being used? Pretty sure it connects to the router or Hopper.

So I assume that means the AP has no MoCA? I guess that means the best way would be Hopper/Joey Ethernet ports, HIC, or your home router if it can keep up.

I don't believe so. I know that you can plug it into the back of the Hopper or the back of a wired Joey. I believe you can hook it into the router if you have one but this is designed to work with people who also do not have internet or a router.

So I'll have a coax from the sat to the Hopper (good, hopper on 1st level), a data line from router to hopper (hope so, CAT 6 already installed to wall outlet), than install a wireless access point into the hopper via CAT 6 cable and locate at the hopper.

That layout will work...thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)