Another 510 problem? Anyone else?

catnap1972

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Central Pennsylvania
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem with their 510 (v304 SW). Have the unit timer record something. While it's recording, go to the DVR menu and watch a few minutes of something already recorded. Exit out to the DVR menu and just leave it there for a few minutes (don't touch anything). Does the unit drop what it's recording and lock up with just the background image of the DVR menu showing? This is exactly what's happening with mine and I have no idea what's up. I thought it might be an isolated glitch, but I've experienced it at least 4 times in the past month (only way out is a power cycle of the unit). I'm only using <25% of the HD capacity (what's on it is still there afterward) so space isn't likely the issue.

I'm at a loss here...anyone else seen this and is it time to try and get a replacement?

My 510's used to be rock solid until software update I think it was p303 a few months ago. Now I have issues but nothing like what you describe. Maybe time to call DishNetwork for a replacement. Good Luck !

Your recording one thing and then go to watch something else that you have recorded while its recording right? Are you sure your not talking about a 522? I dont believe that a 510 will record one thing while your watching another recorded event unless I have missed something somewhere in a training module.

On a 501, 508 and 510 you cannot record a live program and watch another live program because they have only one tuner. You can however record one live program while watching a previously recorded program. I do it all the time.

Frank Jr. said:
On a 501, 508 and 510 you cannot record a live program and watch another live program because they have only one tuner. You can however record one live program while watching a previously recorded program. I do it all the time.

Same thing I do.

The issue appears to be the transition back to the live program from the DVR menu when it's left idle for a couple of minutes. Most of the time it works correctly, but in the instances that I "found", it gets "stuck" somewhere in between.

I don't recall ever leaving the DVR menu screen up for an extended amount of time. I'll try that when I get home tonight and see what happens.hmm.The work around for that is don't leave that screen up and idle. p.s.just for the record I think for what ever reason if one did leave the DVR menu screen up and idle that the receiver should still continue to work properly.For what it's worth I will contact Dish Tech support and advise them if I discover the same problem with my 510's.

Last edited: