Another 622 failure!

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
Can you believe it! I just got another 622 replacement just this week and activated it on Thursday. It would even turn on this morning. No lighrts, no HD running, cold as ice. I called Dish to request another replacment but I wanted a 722 instead. I have had so much trouble over the past 6 months with 622s, this will be my 6th! They said no and I would have to buy it. I said no I have been with Dish for 11 years and really don't complain about much. This, however is beginning to irritate me. My wife keeps losing programs she records. I told them if they sent me another 622 and it failed I was just going to cancel them and go over to the dark side. Really frustrating.

Yeah, this sure seems like you have some sort of electrical problem, because the odds against you receiving 6 defective units are astronomically high. Years ago, I used to work as a tech support agent for a large computer company. We would run into these customers that had consistent hardware failures. Eventually, we'd stop sending replacement parts. You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...

I don't think a 722 would make any difference, either. Could you try a different outlet? What about a good quality surge suppressor or even a UPS? How well grounded is your dish?

You have to remember 3 units were returned because , 1) HDMI connector was defective, 2) 2nd one wouldn't address the remotes right out of the box and 3) the next one wouldn't allow itself to be authorized. The one that, I think, the HD failed because it would continously spin and lights would flash but nothing would happen. The one I got this week just stopped running, no lights or HD sound. The next one will be my 6th.I have read other posts with the same problems, so I don't think it is unique just to me. I will, though, splurge and buy an very good surge suppressor and will check the grounding on my dish. I don't think the dish was ever grounded and that was 11 years ago. If it isn't grounded how would I go about doing that? I can do it myself if given the needed supplies. Thanks

Yeah most obvious something else causing the problem with the receivers.. Like some have said sounds like a electrical wiring issue or something.. At this point dont think it matters what they send you it sounds like its something in your setup or your house is causing the problem.

I don't think the dish was ever grounded and that was 11 years ago. If it isn't grounded how would I go about doing that? I can do it myself if given the needed supplies. Thanks

If the dish isn't grounded properly, then I would think that would be Dish's responsibilty. It is after all their equipment.

UPDATE! I just got around to setting up my replacement reciever. I opened the box and much to my surprise there was a 722 starring back at me. I argued over and over with the CSR about replacing my 622 with a 722 just to see if that would fix the problem and they said no over and over. The recievers are sent out almost immediately so I am surprised at this. I did send a letter to the CEO about this problem but that was 3 or 4 days later. Maybe someone got soft hearted at the last moment and sent the 722. Well, I hope this works well.

man the 622 Ive heard horror stories.. maybe the 722s are being sent as replacements. Internally they are the exact same tho.. just bigger hard drive i assume? they really need to step up the quality of these receivers.. so called award winning dvr? o.0

UPDATE! I just got around to setting up my replacement reciever. I opened the box and much to my surprise there was a 722 starring back at me. I argued over and over with the CSR about replacing my 622 with a 722 just to see if that would fix the problem and they said no over and over. The recievers are sent out almost immediately so I am surprised at this. I did send a letter to the CEO about this problem but that was 3 or 4 days later. Maybe someone got soft hearted at the last moment and sent the 722. Well, I hope this works well.

Let us know how it goes with the 722! Good luck!

man the 622 Ive heard horror stories.. maybe the 722s are being sent as replacements. Internally they are the exact same tho.. just bigger hard drive i assume? they really need to step up the quality of these receivers.. so called award winning dvr? o.0

I thought e different number would confuse everything and it would finally work the way it was supposed to!

if there are no 622 in stock they just replace them with 722's. This happens alot, and not just with 622's, the 222's are about the worst.

The 622 and 722 are fantastic machines that deserve their awards.
The complaints you have read here are a drop in the bucket.

The 722 also has a newer chipset for MPEG4 decoding.

I have 2 622's and not one failure. If I were you, I'd buy a really good battery backup/ups and put your receiver on it. Something must be blowing yours out and I wouldn't take the risk of your new 722 dying within 6 months too.

Then my question is this, why is there no problems what so ever with all of the other electronics that are on the same electrical circuit as the 622? I have a DVD recorder, my plasma, a Direct HR20 and other things all on the same circuit. I haven't had one problem with these. I keep reading differing opinions on good surge protectors whether to use them or not. When you get down to the nitty gritty, there isn't anyone out there, expert or not, that has a good answer to why there machines go out. There is something built in to the 622 that makes it very sensitive to electrical variations because all my other electronics work very well. My next move is to ground the actual dish very well.

Then my question is this, why is there no problems what so ever with all of the other electronics that are on the same electrical circuit as the 622? I have a DVD recorder, my plasma, a Direct HR20 and other things all on the same circuit. I haven't had one problem with these. I keep reading differing opinions on good surge protectors whether to use them or not. When you get down to the nitty gritty, there isn't anyone out there, expert or not, that has a good answer to why there machines go out. There is something built in to the 622 that makes it very sensitive to electrical variations because all my other electronics work very well. My next move is to ground the actual dish very well.

Homeplug technology?

I have the same constant rebooting issue. I am waiting for my 3rd 622 to be delivered today. The first 622 just had the HDMI port die. I had the 2nd 622 unplugged for about 24 hours and decided to try unplugging the phone line. The damn thing came up(plugged into a surge protector). It was on for about 4 minutes before I decided to see if I could view a recorded show. As soon as I hit the DVR button on the remote, it rebooted and went back into it's constant rebooting mode. I unplugged and will try it again today. So, I know the thing is not completely dead. I have read several other threads on thermal issues possibly being the cause.

Last edited:
Ok, so I decided to buy an APC UPS to plug my new 622 into. Before I did that, I thought I might try the "broken" 622 one more time. I plugged it into the UPS and it came up. I also decided to rearrange my setup to give the 622 a little more breathing room. This was a lot of work. So I tested the old 622 by going to different channels, ran the DVR, etc. It stayed on with not problems......for an hour and a half. Then I decided to try an off-air HD channel and it rebooted several times before coming back to ESPN, not the off-air channel. So I figured I'm going to have to change out the 622 anyway. I did want to watch one or two shows I recorded on my old 622, so I started to play one and it rebooted.

I put the new 622 in place, registered it and waited about 30 min for it to do it's programming. After it was finished I did not get my subscription channels, so I had to call Dish. The first person I talked to was going to transfer me to 2nd level support, but I was disconnected. I called again and explained the situation. They don't want to hear that. They have a script they run through and follow it verbatim. I did see one person say in another thread that they just ask for level 2 or ask for a hit to be sent to their receiver. After about 30 minutes, she sends the hit to the receiver and everything is working now.

My 18 month commitment is over with Dish and I am going back to the dark side. I've been with them for over 3 years, with some good service, but most bad. At least I get local service if something breaks or I can take the equipment to the local office and get it replaced immediately.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts