Another att merger

This merger has nothing to do with NCAA, MLB, NBA, NHL or NFL.

As to this merger, the weak partner in this is, of course, Discovery. T brings good long term contracts with NCAA, MLB, NBA, and now the NHL. Discovery brings 17 English channels, all of which are pretty much variations and remixes of one another, mostly containing time waste material you can find on the educational side of YouTube.

The Discovery suite of channels are actually quite popular, especially with women because of channels like Food Network and HGTV, even their streaming service already has 15 million subscribers and it started only 5 months ago, that is $75 million a month it is taking in, $900 million a year ( and will be more with new subs).

Just because you do not like something does not mean the same for others.

Although the traders may not be very happy with the obvious, ongoing, and apparent continuous mismanagement at the C-suite level at AT&T, we very long-time shareholders, who have been enjoying 5%+ dividend yields for, well, pretty much forever, aren't the least bit upset.
If you dig deep enough you might find that high dividend is being pumped up out of equity, not profits, a not uncommon way for large poorly run corps to trick investors into staying invested. And then suddenly one day the building collapses and investor equity disappears. We may have reached that day.

Just because you do not like something does not mean the same for others.

Certainly.

The difference is replicability. For decades the time waste material such as watch other people cook, poorly researched documentaries, etc. was just "free" (included in basic cable/dish, which "everybody" had). Put it behind a paywall? Well 15M is a nice start, but time will tell. Because the same material is available from 100 other truly free sources.

No, those contracts are signed. Nothing will change.
Correct.

The two stories that I think are significant recently are the NHL signing with Turner, and the shutdown of NBCSN and moving that sports material to USA. And I should also mention the conversion of WGN into a political commentary channel.

What does this have in common? For the last few years, we were all talking about this "new paradigm" where people could choose to not have sports channels and save $$. I am now coming to think we were wrong. Why? The death of the "general rerun" channel. There are probably 30 of them. Endless reruns of scripted shows from past decades. This genre is, IMHO, in decline. First, because similar material is now available, free, on diginets; and because similar material is also generally tossed in on streaming services that people buy for the original material. And because there is only so much juice you can squeeze out of one orange, and the last drops are about out. How many people really missed NCIS or Friends the first 10000 times each episode was shown? And, as network TV abandons scripted shows more each year, less such material coming in the future as this material becomes dated and the product of a bygone generation.

And?

Sports. TBS/TNT, and USA differentiate themselves from all the others with live sports.

Correct.

The two stories that I think are significant recently are the NHL signing with Turner, and the shutdown of NBCSN and moving that sports material to USA. And I should also mention the conversion of WGN into a political commentary channel.

What does this have in common? For the last few years, we were all talking about this "new paradigm" where people could choose to not have sports channels and save $$. I am now coming to think we were wrong. Why? The death of the "general rerun" channel. There are probably 30 of them. Endless reruns of scripted shows from past decades. This genre is, IMHO, in decline. First, because similar material is now available, free, on diginets; and because similar material is also generally tossed in on streaming services that people buy for the original material. And because there is only so much juice you can squeeze out of one orange, and the last drops are about out. How many people really missed NCIS or Friends the first 10000 times each episode was shown? And, as network TV abandons scripted shows more each year, less such material coming in the future as this material becomes dated and the product of a bygone generation.

And?

Sports. TBS/TNT, and USA differentiate themselves from all the others with live sports.
Live sports still brings in money. You can watch a sitcom anytime you want, People want to watch sports live.

Reactions: Jimbo
Why does AT&T need all these acquisitions in the first place? They have enough on their plate as is. Are the shareholders watching them or are they letting AT&T buy then give away the store? Who cooked up their M&A strategy? Who are they trying to emulate! A one stop, all under one roof business like Costco!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Executives are typically rewarded for completing an acquisition - the extra work making it happen deserves a bonus. The extra work managing a bigger company deserves a bigger paycheck.

They are usually not around by the time such big acquisitions fail. That's what is really unusual here, how are AT&T shareholders not openly revolting against two such terrible money losing acquisitions being unwound within six months of each other by the same team who made them happen? I guess that's what happens when your ownership is mostly institutional, no one will hold you accountable for your failures.

Executives are typically rewarded for completing an acquisition - the extra work making it happen deserves a bonus. The extra work managing a bigger company deserves a bigger paycheck.

They are usually not around by the time such big acquisitions fail. That's what is really unusual here, how are AT&T shareholders not openly revolting against two such terrible money losing acquisitions being unwound within six months of each other by the same team who made them happen? I guess that's what happens when your ownership is mostly institutional, no one will hold you accountable for your failures.
Verizon has a similar issue with aol/yahoo

Att merger now what what will happen if directv that mean no longer Satellite? I’m kind little bit confused i want to make sure if they do,I had to go back cable again I’m wondering thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Certainly.

The difference is replicability. For decades the time waste material such as watch other people cook, poorly researched documentaries, etc. was just "free" (included in basic cable/dish, which "everybody" had). Put it behind a paywall? Well 15M is a nice start, but time will tell. Because the same material is available from 100 other truly free sources.
I just changed My plan and phone at Verizon and got 6 months of discovery+ for free. I wonder how many of 5hose 15 million subscriptions are actually paying.

Reactions: SamCdbs
I just changed My plan and phone at Verizon and got 6 months of discovery+ for free. I wonder how many of 5hose 15 million subscriptions are actually paying.
Discovery still gets their money, if the subs pay themselves or Verizon pays.

Also these deals can work out to increase sub numbers ( how many stay after the deal runs out), Verizon did the same thing with Disney+, now a year and a half later, 105 million subs on the way to 200 million, it is well ahead of many subs they thought they would have when they started the service.

Discovery still gets their money, if the subs pay themselves or Verizon pays.

Also these deals can work out to increase sub numbers ( how many stay after the deal runs out), Verizon did the same thing with Disney+, now a year and a half later, 105 million subs on the way to 200 million, it is well ahead of many subs they thought they would have when they started the service.
Once people go back to work andvschool we will see what happens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)