ANOTHER D* vs E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

telecaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
As far as the basic channels (not premium,sports or international)What channels does E* have that D* dosent,and vice versa?

telecaster said:
As far as the basic channels (not premium,sports or international)What channels does E* have that D* dosent,and vice versa?

Just go to the D* and E* websites and print out the various packages for comparison.

telecaster said:

D*'s HD campaign:
"The HD leader"

What they really meant:
"HD-LITE, great bait, less fulfilling"

E* has VOOM channels, "Congratulations! You have a Dish 500" and a "Congratulations! You have a dish 1000" channel.

D* has ugly dishes.

Off topic, but on huge ugly dishes.. Can you lay and fall asleep on the dish without blocking reception?

Advice on making a choice between Dish Network and DirecTV starts with the programming. You should compare the two services to see which one is more suitable to what you're after. For example, Dish Network has a more significant lineup of foreign-language channels; DirecTV is more heavily geared in a sports programming lineup with some exclusives.

One thing you should know for certain: both companies will bend over backwards these days to sign up any new customer. So enjoy that fact -- and take your time making the decision that is right for you (and any others in your household).

chrisw27 said:
E* has VOOM channels, "Congratulations! You have a Dish 500" and a "Congratulations! You have a dish 1000" channel.

D* has ugly dishes.

Off topic, but on huge ugly dishes.. Can you lay and fall asleep on the dish without blocking reception?

Ya I'd say DISH's "Super dish " is a real beauty, it's even bigger than the AT-9.... and can't keep locals either !!!

Jimbo

tds4182 said:
If you're that unhappy, you can switch anytime!

Have you visited the D* HD forum lately. I don't know anyone who has D* HD and are "happy" with it.

If we lied to ourselves and D* and said we are "happy" they wouldn't improve on the known issues.

vgsantiago said:
Have you visited the D* HD forum lately. I don't know anyone who has D* HD and are "happy" with it.

If we lied to ourselves and D* and said we are "happy" they wouldn't improve on the known issues.

I visit the D* HD forum at least 2-3 times a day.

I have had D*'s HD service and HD receivers for quite a while and, while it's not perfect, I'm pretty happy with it.

To me, there's a difference between constructive complaining and beating a dead horse until all the hair is off it. Beyond a certain point, the complaints become so repetetive/constant as to be meaningless.

Some people hang onto something just so they can complain about it, it's just their nature. I won't start a "flame war" by naming names, but you know who you are.

Just my opinion--agree or disagree, that's your option!

tds4182 said:

I have had D*'s HD service and HD receivers for quite a while and, while it's not perfect, I'm pretty happy with it.

To me, there's a difference between constructive complaining and beating a dead horse until all the hair is off it. Beyond a certain point, the complaints become so repetetive/constant as to be meaningless.

Some people hang onto something just so they can complain about it, it's just their nature. I won't start a "flame war" by naming names, but you know who you are.

I disagree. There is only one reason to get HD and that is for PQ. D* has no HD PQ therefore D* shouldnt be anyones HD option. It hasnt become meaningless it has become fact. And the facts need to be repeated to comsumers before they make expensive mistakes IMO.

tds4182 said:

I was fully aware the cable company I left and Dish had more HD programming. But I'm still looking at the possibilities in the future. Plus the rebates and deals I received I couldn't pass up. I can live with not having the programming VOOM has because my personal opinion they are crap. But when Dish is running circles around us with National HD programming that's a problem. Here is an email my friend sent me today, he's a Dish guy.

" We will be getting... Starz HD, HGTV HD, National Geographic HD and Food Network HD. Well from what I read... Food HD might not be available for another couple/few weeks. Also... NFL HD which we already had the NFL games of the week in HD... but now the channel is going to be an actual HD channel."

I guess what we do might be considered complaining, but that is how change happens. I've sent my concerns to Direct and if they don't hear or read our concerns they'll think everything is hunky dory.

I'm not really upset by the number of HD channels Dish has over D*, but rather the number of channels that D* has made nearly unwatchable for us HD subs. Revenge of the Sith aired recently on HBOHD. A 2.5 Hour OAR CLASSIC. Some are screaming reference quality on Cable and other providers. HBOHD is one of D*'s best looking channels. Wanna know what the file size was on this masterpiece??? less than 7.8 GB!!!!!!!!! It will fit on a DL DVD. A 2.5 Hour movie! D* might as well shown a superbit movie instead. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=684421&page=6&pp=30
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with D* regarding their HD offerings vs. E*'s. I wanted them to tell me why I shouldn't switch to E* given their better PQ and selection. All they offered was weak excuses. Here are some of the direct quotes: "Sure they have Voom but why would you want to watch cartoons in HD?" Here's a whopper: "D* is just more advanced than E*. They don't even have a receiver that can handle MPEG 4." Of course, I told her she should check out E*'s 622 DVR. She knew she had been caught lying so she changed subjects. "We're guaranteed to be the HD leader by 2007." I said, "What do you mean 'guaranteed'?" To which she replied, "We're just more advanced than they are." Despite all this silly retoric, I may stick with D* until their new HD DVR comes out. We'll see. They didn't do much to convince me to stay.

vurbano said:
I'm not really upset by the number of HD channels Dish has over D*, but rather the number of channels that D* has made nearly unwatchable for us HD subs. Revenge of the Sith aired recently on HBOHD. A 2.5 Hour OAR CLASSIC. Some are screaming reference quality on Cable and other providers. HBOHD is one of D*'s best looking channels. Wanna know what the file size was on this masterpiece??? less than 7.8 GB!!!!!!!!! It will fit on a DL DVD. A 2.5 Hour movie! D* might as well shown a superbit movie instead. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=684421&page=6&pp=30
:rolleyes:

If you find D*'s hd to be so unwatchable, why are you buying it? It doesn't make any sense. Is it just so that you can complain about it?

vgsantiago said:
I was fully aware the cable company I left and Dish had more HD programming. But I'm still looking at the possibilities in the future. Plus the rebates and deals I received I couldn't pass up. I can live with not having the programming VOOM has because my personal opinion they are crap. But when Dish is running circles around us with National HD programming that's a problem. Here is an email my friend sent me today, he's a Dish guy.

" We will be getting... Starz HD, HGTV HD, National Geographic HD and Food Network HD. Well from what I read... Food HD might not be available for another couple/few weeks. Also... NFL HD which we already had the NFL games of the week in HD... but now the channel is going to be an actual HD channel."

I guess what we do might be considered complaining, but that is how change happens. I've sent my concerns to Direct and if they don't hear or read our concerns they'll think everything is hunky dory.

Personally , the 4 channels they are bringing on really don't do much for me....
Starz HD, I don't pay for Starz, so I won't get that HD channel
HDTV, might be cool for a change of pace , I do watch the SD channel.
National Geographic HD, I already have channels like it, Discovery HD
Food Network, I get to much of that channel w/o it being HD
NFL HD, that I would watch, but only watch NFL net when I cannot find much else on, at least till football season.

So , I am not thrilled with the channels that DISH is adding and I am sure D* will add them eventually
Now if you tell me that the Sports FSN type stuff will be in HD then your on to something.

Also IF your going to add HD channels, please add them at, at least close to full resolution.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Personally , the 4 channels they are bringing on really don't do much for me....
Starz HD, I don't pay for Starz, so I won't get that HD channel
HDTV, might be cool for a change of pace , I do watch the SD channel.
National Geographic HD, I already have channels like it, Discovery HD
Food Network, I get to much of that channel w/o it being HD
NFL HD, that I would watch, but only watch NFL net when I cannot find much else on, at least till football season.

So , I am not thrilled with the channels that DISH is adding and I am sure D* will add them eventually
Now if you tell me that the Sports FSN type stuff will be in HD then your on to something.

Also IF your going to add HD channels, please add them at, at least close to full resolution.

Jimbo

I've never watched FOOD or National Geographic, and once my introductory offer is over probably won't have Starz either. NFL HD would be nice.

But I think their statement is loud and clear. I can't speak on their PQ, but if they constantly add channels and not compromise their PQ, where's the justice?

D* is the satellite leader (# of customers), but the once little guy is gaining ground. Kinda like the US automakers banking on SUV's to keep them ahead of the Toyota's of the world, now look. So D* is still the sports leader, Dish is chipping away at the customer base with better quality. And ultimately better quality wins out.

I'll still hang on till 07!!

I may have reached "information overload." I am presently with Comcast Cable and trying to choose between Dish and Directv. I want one HD and one SD receiver. Directv is luring me back with some almost free HBO and Showtime for six months with a 2 year commitment. Dish is offering about the same package without the premium channels but with additional HD for about $10.00 per month more with an 18 month commitment. Unfortunately, the csr I spoke with at Dish did not have a firm grip on the program and couldn't offer much more. I was leaning toward Directv until reading this thread. It seems I have been flipping based on new information every few days. The general feeling I get reading here is that the providers will not really be fully prepared to deliver quality products until 2008. Right now, Dish looks better for me. Should I follow the advice of John Maynard Keynes who said something like "In the long run, we are all dead." and choose something now? If not, is it worthwhile to continue waiting for the next "big" event?

If I were in your situation, I'd go with Dish and the 18 month commitment. Maybe in 18 months, D* will become the HD leader they claim to be. Then switch if they are.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)