Another EHD thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PokerMunkee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Woodland Park, CO
Upgraded to HWS tonight. I copied all of my shows on my original Hopper to an external hard drive (USB only, no external power option).

External Device 1 only shows if I plug in EHD and reset the Hopper. But it shows as 0MB total/free space, don't see any of my shows when I try to transfer.

I chatted with DISH support and they said it must be a powered EHD. But it worked with my old Hopper, which I still have in my possession for a few more days.

Any ideas? I see a lot of other threads where people are discussing EHD issues with the latest firmware. I need to transfer some shows for my 3 year old!

You are not alone. There are some other issues here other than your USB powered EHD.

My new HWS was installed this past week. I plugged in an externally powered Western Digital USB EHD, which was recognized and formatted. After rebooting the HWS the EHD was found but, as in your case, showed 0 space free.

Using another WD EHD, but different model and size, I tried a second time. Same result....newly formatted but 0 free space.

John

If you had to format the EHD then you erased everything on it.

lolz yep!! I remember plugging one in from a customer they had on a 722 to a new HWS...was nice to see they saved every recording they did on Xtsy before I arrived to not only plug it in but the guy had me verify they were there and would play, it was a nice day.

Well, I can now see the shows on my EHD. I just left it it sit over night. I can play shows off it but get error 855 when I try to transfer any show to my Hopper. So frustrating!

My neighbor and I both had 722's with the exact same WD EHD for the past 4 years. We both had Hopper with Slings installed on the same day 6 weeks ago. My combination works fine and theirs won't even recognize the EHD. They've tried every suggestion from Dish with no success.

Is there a way to format the Hopper's drive? Each time a transfer fails, the free space on the Hopper keeps going down. But I don't see the shows on the DVR.

I rebooted Hopper and drive again, still same error 855. I realized I had no recordings on my Hopper since it was new, so I started recording whatever was on the channel I was watching. Then I tried to transfer from EHD to Hopper and now it's working. I'm trying to get everything off before it craps out again!

I would have just left everything on the EHD. You can watch anything on it directly, there is no need to put the shows back on the HWS. Unless, that is, if you want to watch those shows remotely....

I upgraded yesterday as well. I experienced the same results as you describe. This morning, however, I turned it on to discover that the EHD was now recognized with total size, amount free, and I could play from it. I am now copying everything onto the Hopper. IT is a WD powered 512mb EHD that I had on mt 622, then later the 922. Hope that helps.
Ben

Upgraded to HWS tonight. I copied all of my shows on my original Hopper to an external hard drive (USB only, no external power option).

External Device 1 only shows if I plug in EHD and reset the Hopper. But it shows as 0MB total/free space, don't see any of my shows when I try to transfer.

I chatted with DISH support and they said it must be a powered EHD. But it worked with my old Hopper, which I still have in my possession for a few more days.

Any ideas? I see a lot of other threads where people are discussing EHD issues with the latest firmware. I need to transfer some shows for my 3 year old!

Same with my EHD. After sitting overnight, this morning all is well. And I also discovered that Auto Hop is now working. Last night there was no sign of it. I think I read somewhere in this forum that it takes a few days for the Hopper to settle in to it's new home.

Same with my EHD. After sitting overnight, this morning all is well. And I also discovered that Auto Hop is now working. Last night there was no sign of it. I think I read somewhere in this forum that it takes a few days for the Hopper to settle in to it's new home.

Correct. It took over a day for one of my Hoppers to get PTAT and search functions working and to get a full 9 day guide downloaded.

The 855 error disappeared with the latest update. Error 855 says the size of the source is 0. The error pops up when it tries to divide by zero to get how long the transfer will take. That's been fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)