Another Free HD-DVR for ST subscriber

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

drameden

Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I followed the advice of those on the forum and, after haggling for 21 minutes with the retention department, I got them to give me a HR10-250 for shipping/handling of $19.95. Thanks to those who have shared their experiences. But, it wasn't easy.

I told them I was a ST and SuperFan subscriber and was considering canceling because I could not fully take advantage of the service without an HD-DVR. I said I wanted an upgrade. She acts like she has never heard of anyone asking for this before. First, she offers me a $100 off ($299). I tell her that is not good enuf -- I have spend lots of money buying D* equipment (HD receiver, dish, DVR, etc.) and want a better deal. Then she offers a $10 credit on HBO for 6 months. I say still not good enuf. I tell her that others in my situation are being upgraded free. She says this is the best deal she can give for someone in my situation.

Then I ask if there is someone else I can talk to about getting an HD-DVR upgrade for a longtime customer and question whether D* is interested in retaining me as a customer. She goes on and on about how expensive the equipment is and how D* wants us subscribers to invest in it. Then she says the equipment will be replaced in a couple months with 4mpeg technology. So I tell her, why are you asking me to pay $299 for something you say is obsolete? Then she asks, how much do you think is fair? I am thinking this is going nowhere so I say, I shouldn't have to pay more than $100 for this HD-DVR. At that point, I am clearly losing.

She says "let me check my notes." Then after about 5 minutes on hold, she comes back and says I can have the HD-DVR for free! She says you need to "be persistent" and ask for another opinion. Apparently, either (a) she talked to someone else who told her that D* was giving ST customers the HD-DVR and she didn't know it before then or (b) D* has trained these people to play stupid, negotiate, and try to get something when people ask for the free deal.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. All you forum members who pitched in with information saved me a few hundred $. It did take more than 20 minutes of haggling to get there, but it was worth it.

I cant believe people get so excited over "free" LEASED equipment..that eventually gets returned to d*

Better then than the "paid" HD equipment provided by DISH....

I bought mine 5 months after release and and been enjoying it for years now, after program credits etc, I think it was about $450.00, the last 3 years of 24 in HD, timeshifted alone are worth it.

juan said:
I cant believe people get so excited over "free" LEASED equipment..that eventually gets returned to d*

For those who bought them at around $1000, then just after they went out of warranty, the unit died and had to buy another one, are glad to get one for free under lease, where if something goes wrong they replace it.

I am a "mover". Will I have problems if I try for this deal? The HDTivo does not have to be plugged into a phone line correct? My second address is a family member.

i just got off the phone and got a H10-250 for $19.95 ( s/h ) and i dont even have sunday ticket. i called about 6 times over 2 weeks and recieved a different response each time. i called tonight and the CSR asked me what i want ( the last CSR noted on my account a HDDVR for $499.00 - $149.00 = $350.00 ) he mentioned that but i said i want the best possible deal he could give and he told me right away i could have one for only s/h ( plus a 2 yaer commitment, which isnt a big deal since i already am happy with directv ) all this took apporx. 2 minutes - guess i just got lucky and got the right CSR ?

Has anyone gotten the new mailer from D* about the Sunday Ticket? I just got it today and it says to mail in the card enclosed for 40 issues of Sports Illustrated free and choose between an interactive receiver, HD receiver, HD-DVR, or 24 PPV movies free. And save $40 off the price of ST. I wonder if this is going out to all ST subs or just randomly. I knew some were getting the HD Tivo by calling and getting the right CSR, but this says it's an offer now. And to think I cancelled ST last week. I might have to call up and sub again for the free HD Tivo.

No luck with Directv for HD DVR

I stumbled onto this forum looking for info on how to get a free or reduced price HD DVR. I tried what some have tried below and the best deal they offered (after speaking with 3 different people and 20 minutes of my time)was $100 off the $299 price, plus $10/month credit for the next 12 month(which is the current offer for new subscribers on any programming package). After all is said & done, it would come out to about $80 out of my pocket. Not bad, I guess. I'm still contemplating doing it. I even complained about my trouble with my DVR and HD receivers. I've had a total of 6 go out and they've swapped them out for a refurbished one each time. The best they offered me on that, other than " I do apologize sir" is 6 months of showtime for free. I think Showtime sucks personally. I'll guess we'll see what happens. It's better than buying one of ebay for $250-$300 and then having it die and no recourse to get a new one.

The original offer was for Sunday Ticket subs that were 'thinking of cancelling' or something of that nature. D* was clearing out the mpeg2 hd-dvrs in prep of the HR20 launch. If you can get an HR20 for $80 in the end, and are willing to deal with any growing pains as they get the software figured out, then go for it.

I have 2, and for the most part like them. I give them six months to run like they should 100% of the time. Right now it is like 90% of the time, at least for me.

The original offer was for Sunday Ticket subs that were 'thinking of cancelling' or something of that nature.
No, that wasn't my experience.

I called Retention because they sent a snail mail during the 2005 season offering a free interactive receiver and SuperFan free the following season. I called about free SuperFan and was offered a free HR10-250. This was back in June and I asked for it to be logged because I wanted the MPEG-4 DVR. I called late last month after the HR20 was released nationwide and asked if the free offer was still good. I got the all clear and had it installed 3 weeks ago yesterday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts