Another I need help thread (IA5)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kewltea

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
Sorry for creating a new thread, but i'm on my roof right now and would like to get as much attention to get quick response.

I'm trying to find IA5. I got about 10-15% quality on one of Iceberg's transponders. Cant seem to get more.

I did a blind scan and got 2 channels pretty clearly (in b&w). The info for the channel is as follows

12040 V 3.978 UNIT65 DSNG V

Can someone give me some advise if i'm in the right direction and how I can increase the quality?

are you up on the roof with a tv set? If so I dont know about your reciever, but mine had two channles for IA5 in default and I was able to just put it on one and aim the dish about where I thought it should go then I was able to dial it in from there. I dont know where you are, but for me IA5 is up high in the sky so obstructoins arent much of a concern for me. Maybe give a little more info and we can go from there.

Ya i've been busy!! but getting no where. i can't seem to get a higher signal than around 20% and even then it jumps around alot.

in using the compass, i set the red needle to north and point it to teh number that relates to the azmiuth reading i got off sandoun right?

also another thing, i have to admit when setting up the mask, it was SLIGHTLY off level. still within teh lines, but not perfectly centered. could this of screwed up my elevation or something? i think i got the eleveation right (44 degrees), but i haven't messed with that at all.

it's getting COLD outside

-cold- ?

Don't tell these guys it's cold outside.
They'll just laugh at you when they read your temperature! :)
(and then they'll all move to southern California )

Now, get back up there and fix your Mom's system!
You can take a flash light, since it's getting dark.

If you are installing that motor, you need to use the motor and dish elevation numbers from you motor documentation.
If not, then the elevation and other info in the table I posted in your previous thread, is valid.
Oh, and did you dial in the appropriate skew? (twist the LNB in its mount, if not motorized)

Last edited:
No motor.

Giving up for the night. I did a blind scan and am picking up one TP with a bunch of radio stations. It's on 11721V 2.500. Am I close to IA5?

it's getting COLD outside

hee hee...cold

I was outside last night with the temp at 3 above and windchill of -15 aiming a dish. Today was a little better....12 above w/c of 3 :)
(sorry. had ot say it. When you live in MN you're use to cold as anything below zero) :)

make sure to add or subract in the declination. For LA is -13 so I get for IA5

elevation 44.4
azimuth (uinc. Declination) 132
skew -28.3

I assume the LNB is skewed properly?

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/LNBF-Installation.htm

It's around 51 here haha, so I'll stop complaining, but I'm not acclimated to such conditions haha.

I rotaetd the LNBF, clockwise, but i'm pretty much guessing on 28.3 degrees

It's around 51 here haha, so I'll stop complaining, but I'm not acclimated to such conditions haha.
nah. Just givin ya crap. Days like otday I'd kill to be able to install a dish at 51 degrees out :)

I rotaetd the LNBF, clockwise, but i'm pretty much guessing on 28.3 degrees
so if you stand in front of the dish and face it, the coax plug faces from the LNB looks like the picture in the link I provided above?

its easy to get frustrated but you are close
when i installed mine i figured out i had the direction correct but even though it list 44 as the elevation it might be 46 or 48. 44 is the basic setup starting point
fine tuneing might get it closer to 46 or 48
another thing to remember is small increments. small movement let it set a few seconds check readings ( with live tp ) or even do a blind scan

so here's what i would try set elevation at about 45 and using compass start at 128 degrees magnetic and slowly move dish from side to side until you scanned to 133 degrees magnetic ( like i said slowly moving a fraction at a time and pausing to check live tp or do a blind scan) if doesn't improve move elevation to 46 and repete.

you are close ia5 is my best sat to tune .... temp here is at 60 with a storm front here rain rain and more rain .... ice next state over.

good luck

Last edited:
The elevation scale stamped on the dish mount is often off by as many as 2-3 degrees. Once you're sure you're on IA-5, you will want to tweak DISH elevation a bit (don't tweak motor elevation, just set it at your latitude and forget it) :)

No motor.

Giving up for the night. I did a blind scan and am picking up one TP with a bunch of radio stations. It's on 11721V 2.500. Am I close to IA5?

What are the names of the radio stations? This will help identify what bird you are currently aimed at.

The low quality level could be caused by the dish being out of round. Did you lay the reflector face down on a perfectly flat surface before assembling the dish to confirm that the edges are all laying completely flat? Your reflector could have been warped in shipping and could require a flex or two to return to the proper parabola.

What are the names of the radio stations? This will help identify what bird you are currently aimed at.

The low quality level could be caused by the dish being out of round. Did you lay the reflector face down on a perfectly flat surface before assembling the dish to confirm that the edges are all laying completely flat? Your reflector could have been warped in shipping and could require a flex or two to return to the proper parabola.

Thanks for all your input guys. Unfortuanly, I won't be able to give it another shot until the weekend. I'll try all your sugguestions, but SatelliteAV, your response scares me the most :eek: I hope the dish is ok. I picked it up locally, so hopefully it's ok.

HI Guys,

giving it another shot. i did a blind scan and i found cbs news on 10.710V 14.320 How do I find out what sat i'm looking at

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)