Another no show

smokeatr2000

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
birmingham, AL
Was set to be installed w/OTA antenna upgrade this morning between 8-12, Guess what, no show and I haven't heard a word from him. Voom approved everything and set me up a date to be installed. They stated they would have to ship the antenna to him, but I read here that all they ship is the stb and tha dish and the installer actually bought the upgrade antenna. My voom install was with emerald coast broadband and then a local installer named david, well with the original install it was kinda pathetic, First he asked to use my ladder so he would't have to get his off the truck, then I had to get on the roof with him and actually point my ota antenna, he had no clue shouldn't he know what channels I should receive, all he said was you won't get ABC, well guess what I got it after he left with a mid 90's signal.He also had to drill through the siding to run the cable but I had to go back after he left and silicon all the holes he left. Sorry i'm just venting about the original install, wish they would send someone else. Guess I'll call voom and complain and ask for someone else, I'll probably have to call Emerald coast and talk with them mon. morning. Just a question also, I lost all signal this morning with a light rain it dropped from 96 to mid 50's any suggestions? Thanks Greg

smokeatr2000, wish I had a suggestion regarding your last sentence, but unfortunately I don't, still learning myself. Hopefully someone else can help.

As far as getting a different installer...absolutely call VoOm and INSIST!! They probably won't give you any resistance...I really think they are watching this type of thing and responding...it's just a shame that some of us have had to pay in terms of time and patience while they're addressing it. Good luck, and keep us posted. Vicki :)

smokeatr2000 said:
Just a question also, I lost all signal this morning with a light rain it dropped from 96 to mid 50's any suggestions? Thanks Greg

Personally, I have discovered that conditions in your immediate area don’t have as much do with rainfade as the conditions off to the southeast where your dish points do. You could be under clear skies and still suffer from rainfade. The low angle of the voOm dish seams to increase likeliness of a more distant rainstorm affecting your signal since it increases the amount of atmosphere that the signal from the satellite to your dish has to travel. The upside of all this is that I have had very strong storms directly over my area with minimal effect on my signal. If you have persistent problems with rainfade though I would call voOm, but you should be prepared for rainfade to affect you signal occasionally in any case.

txdude...does this apply to OTA as well, in your experience? I though that what smokeater referred to was primarly OTA, and it coincideded with some of my OTA problems, but my satellite signal has not been as much of a problem (in fact, no problem since I got the 24" dish). I was responding based on the OTA. Any help is appreciated...on either issue. Thanks, Vicki :)

Vicki said:
txdude...does this apply to OTA as well, in your experience? I though that what smokeater referred to was primarly OTA, and it coincideded with some of my OTA problems, but my satellite signal has not been as much of a problem (in fact, no problem since I got the 24" dish). I was responding based on the OTA. Any help is appreciated...on either issue. Thanks, Vicki :)

No doesn't appy to OTA here since I am about 9 miles away from all 17 of my local station broadcasting towers, and all but one broadcast from the same place. Even in the heaviest downpour, I'm unlikely to loose my OTA signal.

Bummer, for me. I'm about 38-40 miles away from all towers, but they are all within one or two degrees of each other, and one or two miles of each other. There is only one...my favorite, of course...that presents a problem. The problem (so far as I can tell, can't be pinned down). Sometimes it's a great signal, but still pixelates and goes dead and sometimes it comes in even with a relatively low signal. It's enough to drive me to drink...which I think I'll do now...while I check it again. :no

Primarily, it usually comes in during late morning to early afternoon hours, then dies at night or early morning. However, there are also times when it defies that "model". Can anyone offer any suggestions? :confused: :confused: Vicki

Vicki said:
Primarily, it usually comes in during late morning to early afternoon hours, then dies at night or early morning. However, there are also times when it defies that "model". Can anyone offer any suggestions? :confused: :confused: Vicki

I would suggest you try changing your drinking hours.
Just kidding. :D

But seriously, there are a couple of stations in my area that are still in the process of converting to digital full time and they sometimes play around with the signal at various times while tweaking. They're supposed to go full power later this year.

smokeatr2000 said:
Was set to be installed w/OTA antenna upgrade this morning between 8-12, Guess what, no show and I haven't heard a word from him. Voom approved everything and set me up a date to be installed. They stated they would have to ship the antenna to him, but I read here that all they ship is the stb and tha dish and the installer actually bought the upgrade antenna. My voom install was with emerald coast broadband and then a local installer named david, well with the original install it was kinda pathetic, First he asked to use my ladder so he would't have to get his off the truck, then I had to get on the roof with him and actually point my ota antenna, he had no clue shouldn't he know what channels I should receive, all he said was you won't get ABC, well guess what I got it after he left with a mid 90's signal.He also had to drill through the siding to run the cable but I had to go back after he left and silicon all the holes he left. Sorry i'm just venting about the original install, wish they would send someone else. Guess I'll call voom and complain and ask for someone else, I'll probably have to call Emerald coast and talk with them mon. morning. Just a question also, I lost all signal this morning with a light rain it dropped from 96 to mid 50's any suggestions? Thanks Greg

From what I've seen Voom doesn't have a decent installer anywhere in this state (Alabama, the northern half at least). Too many no-call / no-shows and when they do show up most of them have no clue how to aim a OTA antenna.

We have all heard the install horror stories and all too many of us have our own to tell. What Voom fails to realize is that those horror stories are what keeps a lot of people from trying their service. Not too many people who can afford to sit at home day after day waiting for the installer to get around to them. I wouldn't have Voom now if it weren't for the fact I was stuck at home for a couple of month recouping from an accident (I'm back at work now and still haven't gotten my OTA antenna upgrade/service call appointment straightened out, hopefully it can get done next week while I am home recovering from the sinus surgery I having done this Monday).

I've said it before and will say it again, until these installation problems get solved Voom, funding problems aside, is going nowhere in this business. Which is sad because HD wise, they have a great product and the most to offer. Voom's customer base would be much larger if they didn't have such a crummy network of installers. At present only the most diehard HD enthusiasts who are really starving for true HD broadcasts are willing to deal with the hassles of getting Voom installed.

Lob, it's a Winegard HD7210, with a pre-amp.

Cliff, I've tried changing the hours, but even getting an early start first thing in the morning doesn't seem to improve things. :D :D I'm pretty sure that all my locals are at full power, but will do some more research to confirm.

Vicki :)

I'm changing over to a Channel Master 4228, along with a friend who also has VOOM in the next town over. I haven't swapped mine out yet, but he swapped his Friday, and says that the one channel he had that was really "iffy" had improved from an 88 to a 93...and was locking up nice and solid.
We got the antennas locally for $49, which is a great price. You might want to think about buying one yourself...

Lob

Lob...I certainly will...particularly because that is what I was approved for on my initial upgrade last summer...the problem then was that any installer that called in advance seemed to want to give me something else.

I don't really think I (or anyone) should have to go to these measures, but knowing what is possible with VoOm, and what is at risk if we loose VoOm...I've now decided to do whatever is necessary...

But, I'll say it again...IT JUST SHOULDN'T BE THIS HARD!! Worth it...YES!!!...but it just shouldn't be this much work!

I just really, SINCERELY, hope that VoOm and Installs, Inc. recognizes and corrects this problem immediately...because as much as I love VoOm...this is something that needs to be remedied if they ever hope to achieve and maintain supremecy...Vicki :)

smokeatr2000 said:

greg if you can't get anything on Monday let me know send me you name and phone number and i will see what is going on

t

hey tyork why do you help out all these people that rag on installers.do you think its gonna make them change there minds about US,no. i've been doing this kind of work for about 15years and all you can do is do the best you can .do your job like your supposed to up too specs. you know i used too go that extra mile all the time .well no thanks or no heres 10.00 bucks buy your self some lunch especially from these type people voom customer are the most know it all picky and cheap customer so far. lets me ask u 1 thing,when you go too the doctor for instantssays its gonna be $100.00 (and thats a big laugh and they tell u they tell u they have too run some test and xrays etc. do u throw a b---- fit and say no way .i hope not you seem more intelligent and kind hearted than that.anyway sorry but please quit kissing a--

donna said:
hey tyork why do you help out all these people that rag on installers.do you think its gonna make them change there minds about US,no. i've been doing this kind of work for about 15years and all you can do is do the best you can .do your job like your supposed to up too specs. you know i used too go that extra mile all the time .well no thanks or no heres 10.00 bucks buy your self some lunch especially from these type people voom customer are the most know it all picky and cheap customer so far. lets me ask u 1 thing,when you go too the doctor for instantssays its gonna be $100.00 (and thats a big laugh and they tell u they tell u they have too run some test and xrays etc. do u throw a b---- fit and say no way .i hope not you seem more intelligent and kind hearted than that.anyway sorry but please quit kissing a--

You know what you must be kin to dragon is all i got to say cause this is something just like he posted just day ago.

the only thing i can tell you i to mind you business casue i am no way a a** kisses just trying to help customer that are having problems. And the only thing i can suggest to you is put me on you ignore list If you don't like me helping other people. Cause some people do apprecate the help. And not all of them are ragging on the installer just ragging on the lazy no call no show installers . And i am not one of them. So they are not talking about me and if i think for one second that they are aiming something at me i wll call them out on it in a heart beat.

So call me a** kisser if you want but i will continue to help if i can.

Tyork

Don, Donna, Dragon, whoever...the only thing you're right about is that TYORK IS INDEED FAR MORE INTELLIGENT AND KIND HEARTED THAN YOU can apparently comprehend...KISS YOUR OWN A$$..,just my thoughts, Vicki

(Oh dear, was that less than civil or appropriate??) If so, sorry!

hey vicki i just did (kiss my own a--).i also threw a bone in the road so go git it , peace be with you tyork i feel ya but you gotta agree with me .iam not dragon iam not a customer hater iam an installer supporter we need too stand up for OURSELVES cause if you havent noticed good installers are a dying breed

donna said:
hey vicki i just did (kiss my own a--).i also threw a bone in the road so go git it , peace be with you tyork i feel ya but you gotta agree with me .iam not dragon iam not a customer hater iam an installer supporter we need too stand up for OURSELVES cause if you havent noticed good installers are a dying breed

And yes i have to agree we do have to stand up for ourselves. But the was also no Need for you to call me a A** Kisser.

t

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts