Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chewie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
California
Hello Gents
I found this Dish in my neighborhood there was no ID on the dish, is a solid dish. just wondering if any members here had seen this this type.
It is a 8 foot dish, the owner wants 150.00 dollars for it.
Please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Chewie

Attachments

• IMAG0187.jpg
    IMAG0187.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 235
  • IMAG0188.jpg
    IMAG0188.jpg
    967.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMAG0189.jpg
    IMAG0189.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 227
  • IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 202
I like the looks of the reflector (for an 8 footer) but that is a wacky-looking mount, looks like it has lots of opportunities for slop.

Never seen one just like it.

WoW! Looks like a 'spinclinator' on an IDK polar mount.
One thing that's 'for sure' is 'it's unique'.
150? what, he think he's wants to keep it, or it's made of platinum?
Tell them you'll clean up their yard of 'the trash' for nothin'.
They haven't had it 'turned on, or tuned in, in what - 15 years?
The electronics are 'old school' and if that includes a receiver, (well, that's worth about as much as a door stop - $0) So if nothin' isn't an option, 30 to $75, tops.
Look it over, check for frozen/rusted polar, slop in the actuator etc. Go from there.

Just personal opinion, but I don't see $150 value there.
Its got a C/Ku Chaparral (?) corotor. I'm no fan of servos. :down
Thought it might be on an H-H mount, but it's some strange monkey-motion contraption.
Unless someone knows and can vouch for it, it would have to be $50 before I'd even consider it.

Of course if you've been actively searching for years, and this is the first BUD you've found within 250 miles, that might be a different situation. ;)

Puff, PUFF, PASS! lol

That belongs in a MUSEUM, not in a newbies yard! I'd pass...

If he gives it to you, and IF you park it on one sat, it might be worth playing with. Don't expect any cheap replacement actuator to be strong enough to move that monster without tearing itself apart. A Venture BALL SCREW actuator should be strong enough, but they are $250+ brand new.... Then you'd have to replace everything else as it's all so out dated.

Here's more on a duplicate dish: http://rickcaylor.websitetoolbox.com/post/8-Dish-Declination-Help...-5361359

Last edited:
If it was me, they have to pay me the $150 to remove the dish from there yard.

Comments are correct. It would cost them big bucks to pay somebody to remove that heavy dish. If they're serious, they'll let you take it for your efforts only, and they should include a free beer when you've finished.

Hello Gents
Thanks to all for your comments,
I am getting ready to install my beta-9 dish and I was just looking for something lighter than the beta-9, well, my beta-9 dish is going in the pole as soon I figure out how i am going to put it up there, this dish is heavy.
Here are some pictures of my beta-9.
Thanks again and have a good day.
Regards.
Chewie

Attachments

• IMAG0172.jpg
    IMAG0172.jpg
    583.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMAG0180.jpg
    IMAG0180.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 162
  • IMAG0186.jpg
    IMAG0186.jpg
    722 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG0195.jpg
    IMAG0195.jpg
    919.2 KB · Views: 160
Put the dish on the mount. Strap and aluminum ladder to the pole, (you might have to off-set it a bit using some pieces of wood) and extend it some feet above. Hook a Come-along onto the top of the ladder, and make sure it can't come off. Pull the end hook out, and hook it to the dishes mount and dish which you should have laying on the ground right next to the pole. Start cranking the Come-alongs crank, and it'll lift the dish up. Get it just up where it needs to be to get put on the pole, and tip it over onto the pole using a two-by-four (something soft, but strong).

Or, buy a couple packs of beer, and invite over some friends to lift it onto the pole. Don't let them drink the beer until the job is DONE!

lol. I didn't have any friends, so used the come-along to lift an 11 foot fiberglass dish up and over a 12 foot pole

Agree - put the mount together on the dish, on the ground. Easy to set your declination NOW. Don't put the actuator on it until it's on the pole. Let the mount swing all the way to one side Then lift and place onto pole. You and two burly guys or three others recommended. With that supporting the pole while the cement sets, build an A frame to attach the come along to. Two legs straddling the pole, but far enough behind to allow placing the mount on the pole.
[EDIT] forgot to mention, have somebody take pictures of the 'ordeal'. Post them as 'How It's Done' (or not)
If no one is available for that, set a video recorder, then post that, and/or screen captures*.
* Shift & S while playing video in VLC

That's an interesting mount (first post). If well engineered it should work well. Would require a lot of lubrication on the polar axis, likely some fairly heavy grease to keep it from rusting and seizing. If it is seized or is loose it would not likely be worth restoring. If it isn't seized and it moves freely with out up/down play it should be fine. It looks easy to take apart to clean etc. I like the way the mount balances, keeping the weight of the dish fairly close to balancing over the pole. Many are front-heavy.
I wouldn't pay anything for it though, salvage value is less than $50 and it will cost you more than that in labor (your time is valuable!), gas, and aggravation.
I cheat and use a tractor and loader to set up my large dishes. That way I get to drink the beer after! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts