Another SatelliteGuys.US First Look! DishDVR 522 Spec Sheet

LER said:
If you were considering a Dual-Tuner device, and could afford either the 721 or 522, which would you choose?

Even if the 522 is priced the same as the 721 (most of it think it will be cheaper), I would choose the 522. It has two separate outputs and has (as far as we know) about the same features as the 721. The 721 was originally advertised as having internet access some time in the future but a lot of us doubt that internet access via the 721 will ever happen. That sure wasn't an important point for me but it was something that DISH did talk a lot about.

I think if you can afford it you are always better off (long term) buying the newer receiver. You usually get more features and (generally) the hardware is better.

One thing that does bother me a lot is that DISH never seems to develop some receivers to their full potential. That happened with the DishPlayer and, I fear, it is about to happen with the 721. I know that the electronics industry changes fast but I don't think they should stop software development so quickly.

I think that once the 522 is readily available that you will see DISH liquidate the remaining 721s at a very low price (like they are doing with the model 6000 now). That might be a good time to pick up one if you want a two tuner DVR cheap.

Dish decides to put in an expensive stereo modulator in these models yet there are some receivers that did not get certain hardware that could have made it a bit more functional that costs just as much or less. It seems like Dish is finally starting to realize that perhaps they are better off putting some more functionality in their receivers to make their customers happier and to get more use of the receivers.