Another SatelliteGuys.US First Look! DishDVR 522 Spec Sheet

I think here is same problem as with PVR721 - a microcode implement old LBA24 addressing scheme.

The 522 should at least have a hard drive as big as a 510 with 100 hours. That way you would have at least 50 on each tuner if you wanted to do sharing of the hard drive with another tv and viewer.

There is nothing stopping Dish from name based recording except old Charlie and his stubborness to admit this is a useful feature. Come on you're charging for basic dvr functions you might as well give the public something useful for their money.

If the newer dvod service used name based recordings and season passes it might even make more people want to upgrade to the newer receivers and the AEP in order to get them with out a fee.

Maybe that is the plan in the future when Rupert does his free dvrs and no subscription fees. That might be the only way in order to compete with Directv . :mrgreen:

If Rupert would bring about the free DVR's along with free DVR service to all subscribers without the name based recording along with other features then do you think that Charlie would have a chance by offering free DVR service and the name based recording and additional features without giving all subscribers a free DVR? Maybe Charlie would come up with something else that is competitive that may be even more attractive to a lot of people, to do something different.

How does the "Agile modulated output (channels....); stereo audio" work? Is this a coax connection? Does the box drive the channel assignment?

Yes it outputs a MTS Stereo via the coax, basically it works by encoding the audio in stereo at the modulator and outputs it via the coax. :)

Stargazer said:
If Rupert would bring about the free DVR's along with free DVR service to all subscribers without the name based recording along with other features then do you think that Charlie would have a chance by offering free DVR service and the name based recording and additional features without giving all subscribers a free DVR? Maybe Charlie would come up with something else that is competitive that may be even more attractive to a lot of people, to do something different.

I wasn't aware that Rupert was going to offer free dvrs that lacked name based recording or season passes. I thought he was talking about Tivos. That makes sense though if he offered dvrs on the same level as Dish dvrs. Either way then Charlie will have to offer something for the fee like name based recordings and season passes or drop the fees all together to compete with Directv if they give away free dvrs that are basically Tivo lite versions with no subscription fees. ;)

It had been said that he may offer Tivo's but it was uncertain. Rupert would not even have to offer a Tivo like service to compete against Charlie on this but probably would to compete against cable in which is the main reason for him wanting to give everyone a free DVR with free DVR service. Maybe this will cause a ripple affect and cause the price of DVR to go down on price. Now only if they would do something about HD to do the same.

Did anyone notice that the 522 has agile modulated STEREO output while the the 322 only has an modulated MONO output.
This kinda sucks because most tvs are stereo nowadays. I was hoping to use the 322 on the second floor but now I may have to re-evalulate my plans now.

I think having both TV outs UHF remote capable would have been a better choice of money rather then a double stereo out. How much extra does the UHF remote add to a receiver? I've been waiting for a Directivo to offer this, then I might bail

Its more than the UHF remote, but there has to be a device in the reciever to accept that UHF signal as well for each tuner. I wonder if they will offer a 200 ft. range UHF upgrade kit for the dual tuner receivers to match the second UHF tuner that has the 200 ft. range. It would be kind of silly to have one tuner with only half the range as the other one.

Ok, you'all have me salivating (Again)!

Any idea on release date(s)?

Any idea whether there will be current user discounts and availability FROM E*?

LER
(2x501, AEP/Locals/SS).

The 522 looks like the most promising receiver yet with the dual tuner dual tv output with 200 ft range UHF remote control and other features not found on the current DVR's and to top it all off, a new look and feel of the menu and EPG.

rtt2 said:
Did anyone notice that the 522 has agile modulated STEREO output while the the 322 only has an modulated MONO output.

I'm guessing that costs was the prime factor in that design decision. Stereo agile modulators are still quite expensive.

It will be interesting to see how DISH will price the 322 and 522.

Bill R said:
rtt2 said:

I'm guessing that costs was the prime factor in that design decision. Stereo agile modulators are still quite expensive.

It will be interesting to see how DISH will price the 322 and 522.

I agree, I feel the main reason that the 721 was not a smashing success was that it was too pricy. If E* prices the the 522 around $399 msrp with a $100 upgrade promo for new subs and a $249 - $299 current customer promo this unit will be a big seller, especialy for us current subs who want to upgrade, however if it is pricesed the same as the current 721 with no discounts, it will only have modest sells at best.

If you were considering a Dual-Tuner device, and could afford either the 721 or 522, which would you choose?

I'm an AEP sub, so the DVR/VOD fee is a non-issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts