Another VIP722 USB question

morrellg@ect.uvsc.edu

Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Hope this is the right place to post my question and hope some can answer it. I am new to E just dropped D. The install is VIP722 and VIP211. Have been reading on the net about the USB hard drive connection. The question is I would like to take some of the MOV,AVI, MPEG..... files on my computer and transfer them to watch on my 722. Looks like everyone is trying to find a way to take files from the USB hard drive and view them on the computer, this in NOT what I am trying to do. I want to take files form the computer and view them on the TV. I know my way around Linux, I can mount the USB hard drive on the Linux box and view the dir structure. Has anyone every tried this? What format and location do they need to be in? Sure do miss my Tivo......

how big are the files? I think you can do this with a flash drive .... not sure though. I've only done photos, not video. Plugging a hard drive into the 722, I think you'll be asked to activate it (a phone call and a $40 one-time charge). Hard drive may need to be formatted so don't have your videos on it the first time you plug it in. It will be formatted ext3. Now.... as to whether or not you can then go put it on your computer to transfer MOV, AVI and MPEG to it and then ..... I just don't know if the 722 will know what to do with those files. It runs a form of embedded linux but I have no idea if the codecs and players exist on the 722 to play those files.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts