Answers to your Hopper Questions

I was told in training the hopper and Joey's could only pair with one remote. Is there someone that can erify one way or the other? It would be nice to be able to pair to multiple remotes.
First post, this thread, #4.

The fee debate is nonsense! The Hopper/Joey fees are lower (except $1 more with a 2nd 612) than any combination on Dish for multiple independent HD TVs with DVR access (211 EHD recording is functionally marginal at best). With the exception of the whole house fee of $4, the H/J fees are actually in line with feeding the additional HD TVs with 211s. If you are content with SD TVs, stay with the VIP receivers.
We've covered that before, and you actually never answered my prior question, although I'm pretty sure how you'll respond....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/278305-scotts-hopper-thoughts-11.html#post2786876

Also, I'm curious about your description of the 211 DVR capability as "functionally marginal at best". I've got a 211K that works real well...

OK, let's see if we can get another question answered. On March 15th, as a new Customer, do you have a choice of the Hopper/Joey setup or a VIP setup or just a Hopper/Joey setup.

VIP equipment isn't going away (other than the 922). Customers should be able to get a VIP OR a Hopper setup just not a mix of both.

The Hopper is just another option for customers to choose from. It won't be the right choice for everyone.

So, by the end of March when Dish starts getting back all those leased VIP receivers from all of the upgrade customers, will they do a quick turnaround on them and start upgrading all of the Western Arc customers with the refurbed VIPs so that they can retire the old equipment and get some more bandwidth? That might be the biggest benefit that ALL customers could get from the Hopper rollout.

sparc said:
i'll believe you'll need to buy an RF modulator for each SD TV

Or a RF mod for each composite output then straight to the coax to the SDTV(s), if he's feeding more than one from the composite output.

bf3000 said:
So, by the end of March when Dish starts getting back all those leased VIP receivers from all of the upgrade customers, will they do a quick turnaround on them and start upgrading all of the Western Arc customers with the refurbed VIPs so that they can retire the old equipment and get some more bandwidth? That might be the biggest benefit that ALL customers could get from the Hopper rollout.

That's what we're hoping. Kill the MPEG-2 and 8PSK birds with the one ViP stone. Question is- how many years to do so?

i'll believe you'll need to buy an RF modulator for each SD TV

Or a RF mod for each composite output then straight to the coax to the SDTV(s), if he's feeding more than one from the composite output.

I understand the need for a rf modulator. My question is what is the official DISH solution since they have decided not to support mixed H/J VIP setups. Are the installers going to leave customers homes with inoperable tvs since DISH decided not to put an RF Modulator in the Joey?

Last edited:
I understand the need for a rf modulator. My question is what is the official DISH solution since they have decided not to support mixed H/J VIP setups. Are the installers going to leave customers homes with inoperable tvs since DISH decided not to put an RF Modulator in the Joey?
Rf modulators are listed under additional equipment needed in posted install docs, so I would assume they'll be on the truck. Whether and what the charge will be is another question.

Also, if SDTVs are a big concern, perhaps the H/ J is not the best solution for you.

Yep. The birds are just "bent pipes" returning the signal they are fed. And it's the decoders on the ground (the STBs) that will take time to replace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)