Answers to your Hopper Questions

Exactly what happened. However, I set a Timer for Amazing Race with a 60 minute buffer, and got the whole thing saved to my partition of the HDD. The episode shows up on both the PTAT partition and my partition, and is the full 120 minutes on both, so it's simply a pointer to the same file.

VERY intersting though that the PTAT partition also has The Good Wife listed, which in my case would have been the second hour of Amazing Race. So what it seems to have done is used the same data stream from PTAT and create two different files for me: one of 120 minutes for my Timer of the Amazing Race, the using that same info, it created a 60 minuite PTAT program for The Good Wife.

So you still need to pad your timers to catch all the programs ,just like now on the vip receivers.

So you still need to pad your timers to catch all the programs ,just like now on the vip receivers.

Yep, if you want the recording to be all in one file, then definitely add a buffer! :) But with PTAT, you seem to be able to buffer all the PTAT programs without fear of conflicts, so that makes it very nice.

No need to worry.... When the installer arrives, tell him/her you do NOT need nor want the 3rd Joey. If they don't install/activate it, you won't be charged for it.
please dont put that on us installers. do you realize what a nightmare that is for us? show up to do a job only to spend an hour on the phone fixing what should have been set up right in the first place??

PTAT issue in Boise Idaho. My hopper install went very smooth the installer was great about 2 hours to fully complete. Now for my issue, on the PTAT it's recording the wrong channel for FOX so I'm not getting any of those shows without creating a timer outside of PTAT. Some local history; a few months back the station carrying our Fox network let their contract expire so they moved to another station. So fox moved from channel 12 to where our CW used to be which was channel 9 and then CBS put the CW on a sub channel. Very messy. So PTAT is recording what used to be the old Fox channel which is now an independent network. I'm guessing this is a screwup at Dish???

Also I know on my 622 you can choose when your system does an update..can you do that with the Hopper and if not when does it do system updates???

Thanks in advance

PTAT issue in Boise Idaho. My hopper install went very smooth the installer was great about 2 hours to fully complete. Now for my issue, on the PTAT it's recording the wrong channel for FOX so I'm not getting any of those shows without creating a timer outside of PTAT. Some local history; a few months back the station carrying our Fox network let their contract expire so they moved to another station. So fox moved from channel 12 to where our CW used to be which was channel 9 and then CBS put the CW on a sub channel. Very messy. So PTAT is recording what used to be the old Fox channel which is now an independent network. I'm guessing this is a screwup at Dish???

Try writing to dishquality@echostar.com and inform them of the channels changes in your area and how it is recording the wrong channel. The right people will get the message and fix it ,but you will have to keep emailing and responding till it is fixed.

MikeD-C05 said:
Try writing to dishquality@echostar.com and inform them of the channels changes in your area and how it is recording the wrong channel. The right people will get the message and fix it ,but you will have to keep emailing and responding till it is fixed.

I have emailed Dish at the address provided. I will keep updating as this issue moves forward.

Also I know on my 622 you can choose when your system does an update..can you do that with the Hopper and if not when does it do system updates???

Thanks in advance
well there is a tile labeled "updates" but all you get is the inactivity standby menu? No clue why that is there other than i assume that like the 922 the hopper updates some stuff while it is in standby?

I had a 4 TV system with 2 HD DVRs and a fifth TV on a 211 in a workshop [located 500 feet from the main house] prior to the Hopper install. I was not informed by the CSR that I would be losing the 211 service at the workshop when the Hopper and 3 joeys were installed. I also would take the workshop 211 on RV camping trips. So now I have a problem. The installer told me that the 211 had to be deactivated in order to install the hopper system [this was well into the install on Saturday at 7pm]. He indicated that the 211 could be reactivated but the CSR is not agreeing. Any solutions???

You can go to the Joey, press the blue shortcut button, go to whole-home and then select the Hopper you want it connected to.
Thanks Scherrman, but have 2 questions.
The installer (and several people posting on this forum) state that the hoppers won't be able to be linked until a software update later. Does that specifically refer to a Hopper being able to access the other Hopper to watch the other Hoppers recorded programs?
Can you explain what the Duo node does? Is it there so the two hoppers can see each other when the Hopper to Hopper software update is installed?

Thanks Scherrman, but have 2 questions.
The installer (and several people posting on this forum) state that the hoppers won't be able to be linked until a software update later. Does that specifically refer to a Hopper being able to access the other Hopper to watch the other Hoppers recorded programs?
Correct. The Hoppers can each see the other is on the network now, but they don't connect or interact with each other in any meaningful way. We need the software so the Hoppers can see each other's recordings and other resources.

Can you explain what the Duo node does? Is it there so the two hoppers can see each other when the Hopper to Hopper software update is installed?
The duo node's primary responsibility is to handle the switching and triple band-stacking (needed for a single cable to the Hopper) for two receivers vs the solo node's single receiver. It doesn't appear to do anything special with regard to networking. You could probably make the equivalant of a duo node with two solo nodes, a DPP44 switch and a spltter, but that would just be ugly, cumbersome and dumb.

I had a 4 TV system with 2 HD DVRs and a fifth TV on a 211 in a workshop [located 500 feet from the main house] prior to the Hopper install. I was not informed by the CSR that I would be losing the 211 service at the workshop when the Hopper and 3 joeys were installed. I also would take the workshop 211 on RV camping trips. So now I have a problem. The installer told me that the 211 had to be deactivated in order to install the hopper system [this was well into the install on Saturday at 7pm]. He indicated that the 211 could be reactivated but the CSR is not agreeing. Any solutions???
You will need a second account in order to have service for your 211. E* will not allow mixed (H/J and VIP) set-ups at this time.

Ok here is a new question that they have not answered is there a limit of hoppers you are allowed to own then can I lease 2 and buy 2 the nice lady on the phone said I could have one for 99 dollars and second would be 199 but what if I bought two more can I have a total of 4 active at once in my house?

Last edited:
It doesn't appear to do anything special with regard to networking. You could probably make the equivalant of a duo node with two solo nodes, a DPP44 switch and a spltter, but that would just be ugly, cumbersome and dumb.
My installer couldn't get one Joey to activate/save to the other hopper, so he installed a splitter behind the top host node and put both hoppers on it. I believe this was just that he didn't know how to remap them. I will attempt moving the Hopper to the open host node connection and see if everything works fine. When he was configuring the bedroom joey, it did show both hoppers and both joey's, so I know the duo node was working. He just couldn't make the Joey connect to the second hopper (it wouldn't save). Thanks for the help!

I have emailed Dish at the address provided. I will keep updating as this issue moves forward.

You will have to treat them like they know nothing about your area and leave detailed messages. I find that the first responders aren't always knowledgeable and I have to really stay on them with emails to get them to address the issue. But once they do get the message they will fix it. It might not be for a month , but they will fix it.

I want to confirm something that I was told on the chat. I used the Dish chat to order my Hopper Joey system. I was told that the technician that does the install would be able to transfer all programs from my 722k to the hopper. Is that correct? TIA for your help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts