Answers to your Hopper Questions

prime2099 said:
Here is what I got back from someone at Dish Network on this issue:

I normally do not get involved with the AV Quality responses but you deserve a better answer than "we are working on it".

I suspect, and am verifying the information, that your problem does indeed revolve around the PAT. Specifically the TSID number which allows the customers STB to receive and decode the guide for the OTA stations.

I am assuming you take the signal OTA. This station as you know recently changed from an IND to a FOX and vice versa. The station most likely forgot to change the TSID to the new location so the guide information the TSID is using is for the other station. My engineers are verifying with the CE that this is the case. Until I hear from him and he acknowledges and changes it you are stuck with the situation you have.

We cannot change it since it is generated by the station. DISH does not use the TSID either, we get our information from a third party customers who receive the guide information from the stations program manager.

I hope this helps. As soon as we find the issue is resolved we will let you know.

Regards
Jim Lyons
Locals Engineering Manager
EchoStar Broadcasting Corp.

This is working correctly tonight so looks like they got it fixed.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I contacted Dish about their reasoning behind not letting customers get Hoppers without Joeys. Their main reason is because 1 Hopper or 2 Hoppers is not considered a whole-home DVR at this time. Dish not want to be misleading customers or confusing them by letting them get 2 Hoppers without Joeys and then being upset that they do not communicate yet.

I get Dish's reasoning but I think they need to do a better job of making exceptios for people. If a customer has done their homework and Dish explains exaclty what that customer can expect from just having 2 Hoppers then I see no reason not to let that customer have it. The reason the CSRs are not able to do it is because the systems will not let them process it that way. If you get to some kind on management it should work. Even as a retailer we need to make a manual configuration when making the claim online.

Hoper this clears things up a little bit. I still have a discussion going on with someone from Dish on out retailer portal.

I'm getting "feature not activated" when i select transfer recordings.

will this be the correct way to move between drives when it is activated.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to let everyone know that I contacted Dish about their reasoning behind not letting customers get Hoppers without Joeys.
I've mentioned this before and maybe from your perspective you can give your thoughts:

What would happen if someone orders a (2) Hopper/ (2) Joey system. When the installer arrives, tell them "leave the Joeys on your truck, I do not want them". The Hopper(s) get installed, activated, etc. What happens then ?

Just wanted to let everyone know that I contacted Dish about their reasoning behind not letting customers get Hoppers without Joeys. Their main reason is because 1 Hopper or 2 Hoppers is not considered a whole-home DVR at this time. Dish not want to be misleading customers or confusing them by letting them get 2 Hoppers without Joeys and then being upset that they do not communicate yet.

I get Dish's reasoning but I think they need to do a better job of making exceptios for people. If a customer has done their homework and Dish explains exaclty what that customer can expect from just having 2 Hoppers then I see no reason not to let that customer have it. The reason the CSRs are not able to do it is because the systems will not let them process it that way. If you get to some kind on management it should work. Even as a retailer we need to make a manual configuration when making the claim online.

Hoper this clears things up a little bit. I still have a discussion going on with someone from Dish on out retailer portal.

They mislead all the time with their advertising and they're worried about this.

I've mentioned this before and maybe from your perspective you can give your thoughts:

What would happen if someone orders a (2) Hopper/ (2) Joey system. When the installer arrives, tell them "leave the Joeys on your truck, I do not want them". The Hopper(s) get installed, activated, etc. What happens then ?

I'm not sure what happens to DNS but for us we just bring the Joey back. The biggest problem would be making sure Dish will activate the all the equipment. If we activate the Joey and then you deactivated it we would not get paid for the Joey. Probably not a big deal if we didn't do any work to hook it up though.

I'm pretty sure we would be able to install the receivers you wanted from the start anyway.

It should work. Contact Dish and they will send something to your box to enable it (home key I think). Mine wouldn't work at first because of that. Now I've transferred all my recordings.

I believe that's the response you get if you try to transfer via the Joeys.
Have you tried the transfer using the Hopper?

What I mean is to get around this apparent restriction of allowing a Hopper-only installation. Many have been told they must also have a Joey. So, play along and order a Hopper and a Joey or two Hoppers and two Joeys. Have the installer leave the Joeys in his/her truck. Do NOT hook them up, activate them, etc.

It should work. Contact Dish and they will send something to your box to enable it (home key I think). Mine wouldn't work at first because of that. Now I've transferred all my recordings.

i think it's because I'm trying to do this from a Joey instead of the hopper.

My installer would not start the installation until the work order was modified and Dish would not allow reducing the Joeys so I had to agree to take them.

I ordered 2 h and 1 j, when installer got here, the order said 2h 2j, the Retailer manager said to just not install 2nd j. Installer started activating and was unable to complete without 2nd j in the mix.
Dan

I ordered 2 h and 1 j, when installer got here, the order said 2h 2j, the Retailer manager said to just not install 2nd j. Installer started activating and was unable to complete without 2nd j in the mix.
Dan

I wondered if that would happen. Dish's computer system seems to be programmed to not let it happen. It seems that a few CSRs are able to bypass it.

What might be the best way to get the 2nd j off my account?, heck, it isn't even installed yet, although it was activated but installer was unable to get it to take software download, this on last Saturday. Installer is coming this am to finish job.
Dan

Scherrman said:
I wondered if that would happen. Dish's computer system seems to be programmed to not let it happen. It seems that a few CSRs are able to bypass it.

Hope that's not a issue I have a two hopper one joey install this Saturday!

Someone needs to tell them that 3 tuners isn't exactly a "Whole-home" DVR either. I think it is a very crappy excuse considering that if the customer knows what they are getting in advance there should be no issue. Besides, the integration is coming "soon". :rolleyes:

Oh, and how in the world is having 2H/1J any different than having 2H/2J in terms of the Hoppers interacting? You still have the same functionality in the system...Joey can see both Hoppers whether you have one Joey or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts