Antenna Changes - Belgrade, MT

All, I really appreciate the input and responses. However, I still have some questions. Please humor my ignorance.

1) What is the difference between an amplifier and a preamplifier? Or are they the same thing?

2) since the powered splitter didn’t fix my issue, should I send it back and try something else? Or is it still good to have?

3) It has been suggested to add an amp/preamp or replace the antenna. These are similar in cost, is there a general consensus on which would be more effective?

4) if I replace the antenna, I would like to avoid changing my mount. I bought a 39” wine guard pole mentioned earlier in the post. The mount is on the side of the house and is angled 45 degrees up with the elbow at the antenna end. I can take a pic if needed. If I should swap antennas, I would prefer one that will mount on that mast as-is, so it can’t be terribly wide.

5) if I go with amp, I would like one that I can put at antenna but put the power source at my cable box. Is this possible? My cables are run in the wall and I would like to avoid more wires on my house. It’s likely about 35-50’ of cable in wall.

Last edited:
All, I really appreciate the input and responses. However, I still have some questions. Please humor my ignorance.

1) What is the difference between an amplifier and a preamplifier? Or are they the same thing?

2) since the powered splitter didn’t fix my issue, should I send it back and try something else? Or is it still good to have?

3) It has been suggested to add an amp/preamp or replace the antenna. These are similar in cost, is there a general consensus on which would be more effective?

4) if I replace the antenna, I would like to avoid changing my mount. I bought a 39” wine guard pole mentioned earlier in the post. The mount is on the side of the house and is angled 45 degrees up with the elbow at the antenna end. I can take a pic if needed. If I should swap antennas, I would prefer one that will mount on that mast as-is, so it can’t be terribly wide.

5) if I go with amp, I would like one that I can put at antenna but put the power source at my cable box. Is this possible? My cables are run in the wall and I would like to avoid more wires on my house. It’s likely about 35-50’ of cable in wall.
Pics are always nice to post for SatGuy members to help with questions.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I forgot to mention, not sure if it makes a difference, but all of my channels are broadcast from the same location. There are 4 transmitters, it’s just one of them is much less power than the others:
KBZK - channel 13: 1.8 kW + 10.21 dB gain = 18.9 kW ERP
KUSM - channel 8: 1.8 kW + 9.98 dB gain = 17.9 kW ERP
KDBZ - channel 29: 0.656 kW + 13.59 dB gain = 15 kW ERP
KWYB - channel 28: 0.5 kW + 13.77 dB gain = 11.9 kW ERP

Pics:

Attachments

• 1485A7FC-7141-4598-B555-588F9B696CC8.jpeg
    1485A7FC-7141-4598-B555-588F9B696CC8.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 374
  • 7357B9F4-1677-4AA3-AD3D-B97CC95E83BF.jpeg
    7357B9F4-1677-4AA3-AD3D-B97CC95E83BF.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 350
Reactions: charlesrshell
It may help if you could get your antenna closer to the peak of the roof. Trees and buildings will reduce the signal and can cause reflections. In general, TV signals are line of sight. Anything blocking the line of sight will reduce the signal.
You could try connecting a piece of coax to the cable with a barrel connector to extend the cable and move the antenna around to see what benefit of moving it to other locations will give before permanently moving it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You are trying to pick up a low power station with an antenna that has very low gain on UHF. You look to be maybe about 10 feet high. A preamp added to it MAY solve your problem, but that is a very small antenna with low gain, at low height. Since you are overall happy with it, I would add a preamp and see what happens. The worst that will happen is you will still need an antenna with more UHF gain. More height (above the peak of the roof) may be enough to fix the problem also. Are you sure you are not missing out on many other towers?

Reactions: spec1alk and Larry1
I live in a rural area. There are some other towers, but they are far away and difficult to pull in. See my rabbit ears from first post.

I will try the preamp to see what happens. I would like to avoid moving the antenna as my roof is really high (25-30’) and still may not provide me with line of sight.

Is their an antenna with higher gain I should try? I don’t mind replacing the antenna, but don’t know what I should be looking for.

You are trying to pick up a low power station with an antenna that has very low gain on UHF. You look to be maybe about 10 feet high. A preamp added to it MAY solve your problem, but that is a very small antenna with low gain, at low height. Since you are overall happy with it, I would add a preamp and see what happens. The worst that will happen is you will still need an antenna with more UHF gain. More height (above the peak of the roof) may be enough to fix the problem also. Are you sure you are not missing out on many other towers?

I have been having trouble pulling in our local Fox/ABC affiliate. A lot of the relevant information for my situation is in the thread Antenna Changes.

The issue is KWYB-LD is a low power translator broadcasting on UHF channel 19 (virtual 18).

I currently have an RCA ANT751E. I tried a powered splitter but this seemed to make no difference so I returned it. I have also installed an Antra AT-PAA28 mast-mounted pre-amp which does not seem to have made a difference. I can try turning the amplification up on it, but I doubt it will help.

I have been told that my Yagi / RCA ANT751E is not a great antenna for gain. So I am looking at replacing my antenna. I would love to get something I could just swap out on my mast (there are pictures in the other thread).

I see that Monoprice has an antenna on sale: Monoprice Long Range Directional Outdoor VHF and UHF HDTV Antenna, 70 Mile Range

Is this an upgrade over the ANT751E? If so, is it enough of an upgrade to likely help me pick up KWYB-LD?

If this is not the right answer, is there a better option in the < $100 price range that will go on my mast without moving it?

I know this post is a bit old, but I am just getting back to this. I purchased an Antra AT-PAA28 mast-mounted pre-amp, but it did not seem to help. I do need to try turning the amplification up to see if it makes a difference, but I am thinking I need to get a different antenna.

I am moving this over to a new thread I created today here: Antenna Upgrade

Thanks!

Merged the two threads with a more helpful title.

Please note that all the Bozeman stations currently located on Green Mountain are being evicted from the tower there, and I believe all of them are moving to High Flat. That might substantially change your reception conditions. It might be worth waiting to see what happens.

- Trip

Trip, thank you for merging the threads.

Where can I find a diagram or map showing me the current location and where they are being moved to?

Merged the two threads with a more helpful title.

Please note that all the Bozeman stations currently located on Green Mountain are being evicted from the tower there, and I believe all of them are moving to High Flat. That might substantially change your reception conditions. It might be worth waiting to see what happens.

- Trip

Thank you Trip. Where can I find information on when the move will take place? I haven't been able to find anything, but I don't know that I really know where or what to look for. Thanks.

I don't actually know when it's supposed to happen.

- Trip

Thank you Trip. Where can I find information on when the move will take place? I haven't been able to find anything, but I don't know that I really know where or what to look for. Thanks.

Check the station web sites for data posts. That's the only way we were informed for our DMA. Not one station posted anything on the actual air, to say they were moving, and when.

This is a change of location, not of frequency, so rescans won't be required (though change of antenna position might be). I'm not even sure the websites will say anything.

- Trip