Antenna For Local Channels

cdamania

Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Hello,
i was doing a little research for outside mount antenna not to big with good reception and i ran into this. http://www.goxium.com/xma201.htm
I don't have much experience in this but is this is a good antenna and will it provide a good reception. I live in CT 06810 zip code. If you can please help me out or send me to the right direction on which one i should get.
thanks
:)

1st off, WELCOME!

Please do not waste your money on that junk. I am not 100% sure on your area and the topography, but I would at least look into something more appropriate like the Channel Master CM4228. Hopefully some CT users will pop in for more area specific info. Good luck.

Well you can start by visiting www.antennaweb.org

I would also do a little more research on the "antenna" you posted above...
There are some standards in place for antenna, and this website you posted above does not mention it's category :(

many people have had good experiences with winegard and channelmaster antennas for outdoor antennas and with the silver sensor for indoor

Thank you
Do you have any recommendation to which one is good that i can use.

you need to start by going to antennaweb.org
and find out what you can receive.

this will tell you if you need a VHF, UHF, or a VHF/UHF antenna.

Remember that in 2009 all stations will be require to transmit digitally, and I think most stations will be going back to their VHF channels.

Once you know how far away from the transmitters you are, and if there are multiple locations, then you will know what kind of antenna to get.

The whole point of that was to regain the a portion of the UHF spectrum.
Those channels that are broadcasting on that portion of the spectrum will no longer be broadcasting on that UHF channel.

Am I incorrect in assuming that they would be moving their digital UHF transmission to the VHF frequency that was once transmitting analog? (in many cases this is VHF)

Why would a station maintain 2 transmission fequencies post deadline?

Remember that in 2009 all stations will be require to transmit digitally, and I think most stations will be going back to their VHF channels.

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#whatisdate

http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/

OK, that 1st link was the same old Q&A about DTV with nothing new or detailed about spectrum uses AFTER the analog shutdown. The only line I see on that are:

When will the DTV transition be complete?

The final transition is February 2009. At that point, broadcasting the current “analog” channels will end and that spectrum will be put to other uses. Until the transition to DTV is complete, television stations will continue broadcasting on both their digital and analog channels.

Same old info.

Now the 2nd link leads to all DTV info document (way too much to read through); so could you just point to the exact one you read that details the spectrum uses AFTER analog shutdown and the transition of all digital television signals back to VHF only?

It just seems REAL ODD that they would allow all of us users and broadcasters to spend all this money on UHF equipment between say 2004 and 2009, just to say STOP, now we are going back to only VHF. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Yes. Basically the station will have a choice to keep the "new" channel or go back to its "old" channel with DT transmission as long as the "old channel is on 58 or below. 59-69 are going the way channels 1 and 70-83 went years ago. :) Channels 2-6 were supposed to go in the original digital conversion "master plan" as well, but the screaming masses changed all that! :D

See ya
Tony

Actually many of the stations will stay on UHF because there are some inherent broadcasting on VHF, especially low VHF (2-6) where there will probably be less than 50 stations in the whole country that will broadcast on this range. Yes many channels will be on high VHF (7-13) but UHF will still have many of the stations.

So what you two are saying is there IS NOT going to be any forced, mandated, wholesale moving back to VHF for digital, after the 2009 analog shutdown?

In Los Angeles

KCOP is 13 and KCOP-DT is 66
KTTV is 11 and KTTV-DT is 65
KCBS is 02 and KCBS-DT is 60

these three stations will be loosing the current DTV UHF station.

I would think that they would transfer their digital transmission to the "old" analog channels

Back to the original topic, regardless of what happens,
a VHF/UHF antenna would ensure that you would be able to receive transmissions through the digital conversion mandate.

People like me who only have a UHF antenna will have to ride it out and see whats gonna happen. All I know for sure is that come Feb 2009, I will not be able to see Fox or CBS on the VHF or current UHF channels

Danbury (06810) is a tough place for good reception. You are too far for NYC, but Hartford and New Haven aren't close, either. The Channel Master 4228 will likely give you the best results, but I suspect you will not be happy with what you get. Good luck!

you need to start by going to antennaweb.org
and find out what you can receive.

this will tell you if you need a VHF, UHF, or a VHF/UHF antenna.

Once you know how far away from the transmitters you are, and if there are multiple locations, then you will know what kind of antenna to get.

I have not heard of a switch to VHF , could you please start a new thread & expand on that topic ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)