Antenna inputs on voom box. Which one works??

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
I asked this in another thread and got no answer so I'll try and be more detailed about it here.

I can't use the outdoor antenna so I'm looking for other options. Now, on the back of my voom box I have two different antenna inputs. Assuming we are looking at the box from the back, one of them is on the right corner. There is a diplexer over it with only one input (a little grey box that snaps in place), but if you take the diplexer off, there is the sat input, and an antenna input. This antenna input is a little module that can be pulled out of the box.

The other antenna input is towards the middle of the box. Directly under it is the channel 3/4 switch and then what appears to be the coax tv out.

I'm trying a silver sensor right now. If I hook it up to the one behind the diplexer, I can scan a couple of channels. If I hook it up to the other one, I get nothing. I've even tried that input with the modular input pulled out. Still nothing.

What is that antenna input for? Is it supposed to do anything or maybe there's a setting in the software that I need to change to activate it?

Is the modular one powered since it was being used with the winegard? If so, is it ok to use it with the silver sensor?

Any input on this would help me figure out what I'm doing here.

Also, I am getting some channels with the silver sensor, but I'm missing 2 key ones. Would another antenna like a terk55 perhaps work better? I pretty much need an antenna I can use indoors.

lostcause said:
The other antenna input is towards the middle of the box. Directly under it is the channel 3/4 switch and then what appears to be the coax tv out.
That input is for analog channel pass-through. And since VOOM STB doesn't have analog (NTSC) tuner, that input cannot be used by the STB itself. For digital channels you need to use the input under the diplexer (the one I marked "OTA"):

DSR-550back.jpg

Thanks....I will now go crawl under a rock and not come back out until I learn to read the faq's first. :eek:

lostcause said:
Is the modular one powered since it was being used with the winegard? If so, is it ok to use it with the silver sensor?
No, it is not powered. Only the satellite input supplies voltage. When the diplexer is installed the voltage supplied to the LNB can be shared by the OTA antenna. If you have a separate cable run for OTA, and your antenna has a pre-amp, you will need to use a standalone power supply (power inserter).

I am using a Terk55, it's in the attic, I get all the main channels. You need to slowly move it around to point it in the best direction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)