Antenna Mounts

Rural User

Original poster
Aug 1, 2019
Texas
I installed and activated a dish system for a lakeside cabin yesterday. It is a simple system, a purchased 1000.2 DPP dish and one Wally on a FLEX package. I did a temporary antenna mount on an old Wildblue pole that was handy. The Wildblue pole had a 2 3/8” to 2” adapter on it. I took that adapter off and used a split tail 1.66” adapter that clamps to the wall of the larger 2.375” pole pipe. It is kind of a kluge but it worked for a temporary mount. For my address in central Texas a dish pointer app called for elevation 47.9, azimuth 216.5 and skew 120.8. After a little trial and error efforts I got locked in with signal strength of low seventies on sat 110 and 119 and signal strength of 40 on sat 129. From searching the forum I have the impression that getting a lower signal strength reading on sat 129 is not unusual.

I have two questions:

First, if I wanted to tweak the antenna position for a stronger signal on sat 129 what sequence and in what direction should I try moving from the elevation, azimuth and skew setting I currently have that are giving good sat 110 and 119 signals.

Second, I plan to do a more permanent roof eve mount. The cabin has an old antenna already in place. It is a very solid mount that is well braced but it is a 2” mast. I have thought about taking the old antenna off the mast and using a 2” to 1.66” adapter to mount the DISH antenna. I know it is probably not to DISH code but does anyone ever use an existing 2” mast to mount a DISH antenna?

Thanks, this forum was very helpful in providing the information I needed to get the system up with a minimum of frustration.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I installed and activated a dish system for a lakeside cabin yesterday. It is a simple system, a purchased 1000.2 DPP dish and one Wally on a FLEX package. I did a temporary antenna mount on an old Wildblue pole that was handy. The Wildblue pole had a 2 3/8” to 2” adapter on it. I took that adapter off and used a split tail 1.66” adapter that clamps to the wall of the larger 2.375” pole pipe. It is kind of a kluge but it worked for a temporary mount. For my address in central Texas a dish pointer app called for elevation 47.9, azimuth 216.5 and skew 120.8. After a little trial and error efforts I got locked in with signal strength of low seventies on sat 110 and 119 and signal strength of 40 on sat 129. From searching the forum I have the impression that getting a lower signal strength reading on sat 129 is not unusual.

I have two questions:

First, if I wanted to tweak the antenna position for a stronger signal on sat 129 what sequence and in what direction should I try moving from the elevation, azimuth and skew setting I currently have that are giving good sat 110 and 119 signals.

Second, I plan to do a more permanent roof eve mount. The cabin has an old antenna already in place. It is a very solid mount that is well braced but it is a 2” mast. I have thought about taking the old antenna off the mast and using a 2” to 1.66” adapter to mount the DISH antenna. I know it is probably not to DISH code but does anyone ever use an existing 2” mast to mount a DISH antenna?

Thanks, this forum was very helpful in providing the information I needed to get the system up with a minimum of frustration.

Here's what you want if you can find a single one. These are lots of 5.

Pipe Adapter 2in to 1.66in - Lot of 5 683615344778 | eBay

You're so close to being where you want to be with the 129 (50ish), no one can tell you which way to go, because it's millimeters off on any possible direction

Reactions: Rural User
Stand behind the dish and with the bolts still tight, gently warp the dish left, right, up and down to see if any improvement in the signal occurs (hold it a few seconds so your helper can see the signal change).

That will give you clues as to what to do. NOTE - do not bend the dish just put slight pressure on it to gently shift it right , left , up or down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)