Antenna pole

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I have had a police scanner for 30 years and used it infrequently when things were happening in the neighborhood. I found a deal on a discone scanner antenna and decided to get it and put it up outside. It fit a 1-3/8" pole and a quick check determined the top rail on my chain link fence would be a good choice. A couple people here confirmed that indeed top rail was a good way to go. :) Well I had received a $20 Lowe's gift card for getting an insurance quote from Traveler's so I went to the Lowe's site to look at the choices and prices of that top rail. Too funny!! There were a dozen reviews on the top rail I was looking at. All of them were about how good an antenna mast it makes. :)

It fit a 1-3/8" pole and a quick check determined the top rail on my chain link fence would be a good choice.
I "discovered" top rail at Home Depot last weekend but I was put off by the fact that what they carried was 17 gauge. Everything else seems to be just what I was looking for but my mast needs to be 10 meters tall to support an anemometer and wind vane for my weather station. I see fencing outfits offer a 16ga version of the tubing.

I used conventional TV antenna mast for my scanner antenna as it had a standard mast clamp.

Reactions: Magic Static
So I got to thinking about what harshness said about the quality of the metal and indeed most of it is 17 gauge. :( They do list a 16 gauge 21' stick for $45 :eek but don't stock it. Many years ago I had a chain link fence installed around my place. So I called the company (local business) and asked what they had and could I buy a stick. The guy said they wouldn't use the 17 gauge stuff and the top rail I wanted was $.75 per foot, about $15 he said. I guess cheaper doesn't always refer to money ;)

I needed a 21' fence rail and went to a local fence company that had them in stock. They had every dia imaginable, they were thicker wall than Home Depot and it was cheaper. I would suggest looking up a fencing company in your town and see what they have.

Reactions: k.r. and KE4EST
Well I gess IT'S time too save the ANTENNA manufactures don't have too put out a low band vhf ANTENNA so I gess manufactures don't have too make poles for antennas either what is going on with the USA a fence pols are made too bend not dezind for hi wind ???

Well I gess IT'S time too save the ANTENNA manufactures don't have too put out a low band vhf ANTENNA so I gess manufactures don't have too make poles for antennas either what is going on with the USA a fence pols are made too bend not dezind for hi wind ???
This thread is about suitable masts for scanner antennas, not TV antennas.

After a lot of consideration, I think I am going to go for a unconventional type of mast mount out of my own madness. ;) It may be a few weeks before I get it done. I'm not one for climbing around a roof covered in ice and snow. And it's still very much winter here.

Reactions: Nascarken 91xg
Well thanks to nasty weather in California pushing some warmer air my way, the temps have risen to seasonable levels for a couple days. It has hit upper 40's and most of the snow is off the roof :) So I jumped on my antenna project and put it up.

Discone4 010.JPG Discone4 004.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts