Antenna pole

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I have had a police scanner for 30 years and used it infrequently when things were happening in the neighborhood. I found a deal on a discone scanner antenna and decided to get it and put it up outside. It fit a 1-3/8" pole and a quick check determined the top rail on my chain link fence would be a good choice. A couple people here confirmed that indeed top rail was a good way to go. :) Well I had received a $20 Lowe's gift card for getting an insurance quote from Traveler's so I went to the Lowe's site to look at the choices and prices of that top rail. Too funny!! There were a dozen reviews on the top rail I was looking at. All of them were about how good an antenna mast it makes. :)

It fit a 1-3/8" pole and a quick check determined the top rail on my chain link fence would be a good choice.
I "discovered" top rail at Home Depot last weekend but I was put off by the fact that what they carried was 17 gauge. Everything else seems to be just what I was looking for but my mast needs to be 10 meters tall to support an anemometer and wind vane for my weather station. I see fencing outfits offer a 16ga version of the tubing.

I used conventional TV antenna mast for my scanner antenna as it had a standard mast clamp.

Reactions: Magic Static
So I got to thinking about what harshness said about the quality of the metal and indeed most of it is 17 gauge. :( They do list a 16 gauge 21' stick for $45 :eek but don't stock it. Many years ago I had a chain link fence installed around my place. So I called the company (local business) and asked what they had and could I buy a stick. The guy said they wouldn't use the 17 gauge stuff and the top rail I wanted was $.75 per foot, about $15 he said. I guess cheaper doesn't always refer to money ;)

I needed a 21' fence rail and went to a local fence company that had them in stock. They had every dia imaginable, they were thicker wall than Home Depot and it was cheaper. I would suggest looking up a fencing company in your town and see what they have.

Reactions: k.r. and KE4EST
Well I gess IT'S time too save the ANTENNA manufactures don't have too put out a low band vhf ANTENNA so I gess manufactures don't have too make poles for antennas either what is going on with the USA a fence pols are made too bend not dezind for hi wind ???

Well I gess IT'S time too save the ANTENNA manufactures don't have too put out a low band vhf ANTENNA so I gess manufactures don't have too make poles for antennas either what is going on with the USA a fence pols are made too bend not dezind for hi wind ???
This thread is about suitable masts for scanner antennas, not TV antennas.

After a lot of consideration, I think I am going to go for a unconventional type of mast mount out of my own madness. ;) It may be a few weeks before I get it done. I'm not one for climbing around a roof covered in ice and snow. And it's still very much winter here.

Reactions: Nascarken 91xg
Well thanks to nasty weather in California pushing some warmer air my way, the temps have risen to seasonable levels for a couple days. It has hit upper 40's and most of the snow is off the roof :) So I jumped on my antenna project and put it up.

Discone4 010.JPG Discone4 004.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)