Any BOSTON metro VOOMers?

Pbs In Boston

Anyone else have program guide content totally off the wall for PBS channels.
My old Samy was fine but the Voom PG does not match with OTA content on PBS channels. :no

Program guide wrong for PBS in Boston

Anyone else complain about the program guide content being totally off the wall for most PBS channels?
My old Samy was fine but the Voom PG does not match with OTA content on PBS channels, other than 2.1 and 44.1.
Will this ever get fixed? It SUCKS! :mad:

Well it is a pain in the butt, but I get great hd content pn 2.2 and lots pf good on 44.3/ I an not going to worry about it till pvr/dvr is ready

rc

owlbox said:
Anyone else complain about the program guide content being totally off the wall for most PBS channels? Will this ever get fixed? It SUCKS! :mad:
It doesn't bother me that much but it would be worth at least letting VOOM know that zap2it's listings are all wrong. I'll send a note to VOOM and after a few of us complain maybe it'll get on somebody's list to remedy.

PBS content in PG is Foobar

I think you're right. I talked to Sean and he passed the word along. It isn't going to get fixed unless enough of us make noise. There's some great content on these channels but I'd like to be able to use the PG and planner which is impossible now. So that's two complaints. C'mon Beantowners tell Voom you want it fixed. If this isn't fixed the DVR will be crippled too.

still showing 2-3 & 2-4 not used but it is nice the others are fixed!

Yes, I didn't push my luck on 2.3 and 2.4. Figured that will get fixed with the new s/w

Locals question

I'm a new Voomer and am dissapointed in locals. I realize that no guarantee on how many locals you get but can't get a straight answer from Zoom central on the phone but haven't got a answer back from a e/mail sent today either. Woman at Voom says to go online and see programing list and that should be on my screen but it doesn't match. I get on my screen 9.1, 11.1, 25.1, 44.1, 44.2, 44.3, 46.1, 50.1, 56.1, 60.1, 66.1 and on the menu from Zoom lineup for my area they have a total of 25 stations from 2.1 to 66.1. I would like to try and get 4.1 a CBS station and 38.1 also. Do any get WBZDT4.1 & WSBKDT38.1? You guys do not put where you are located in the Boston area in your profile so it's hard to tell who gets what. I'm located in Peabody.

alsie731 said:
can't get a straight answer from Zoom central on the phone
Zoom = PBS kids show, VOOM = Satellite TV Service :)

alsie731 said:
I get on my screen 9.1, 11.1, 25.1, 44.1, 44.2, 44.3, 46.1, 50.1, 56.1, 60.1, 66.1 and on the menu from Zoom lineup for my area they have a total of 25 stations from 2.1 to 66.1. I would like to try and get 4.1 a CBS station and 38.1 also. Do any get WBZDT4.1 & WSBKDT38.1? You guys do not put where you are located in the Boston area in your profile so it's hard to tell who gets what. I'm located in Peabody.
I'm located on the South Shore. I don't get all of the stations listed in the VOOM on screen guide. Here's an updated list of what I get:

My list of locals:

2.1 - WGBHDT---------->OK
2.2 - WGBHDT2--------->OK

2.3 - WGBHDT3--------->Not listed any longer
2.4 - WGBHDT4--------->Not listed any longer
4.1 - WBZDT----------->OK
5.1 - WCVBDT---------->OK
5.2 - WCVBDT2--------->OK
7.1 - WHDHDT---------->OK

7.2 - WHDHDT2--------->No Reception
9,1 - WMUR------------>No Reception
10.1 - WJARDT--------->Listed by Voom online, not mapped, No Reception
11,1 - WENHD---------->No Reception
12.1 - WPRIDT---------->Listed by Voom online, not mapped, No Reception
12.2 - WPRIDT---------->Listed by Voom online, not mapped, No Reception
25.1 - WFXTDT---------->OK
38.1 - WSBKDT---------->Intermittent
44.1 - WGBXDT---------->OK
44.2 - WGBXDT2--------->OK
44.3 - WGBXDT3--------->OK
44.4 - WGBXDT4--------->OK

46.1 - WWDPDT--------->Listed by Voom online, not mapped, No Reception
50,1 - WNDSD1---------->No Reception
52.1 - WLVID------------>No Reception
56.1 - WLVIDT----------->OK
60.1 - NEUD1------------>No Reception, not listed online
66.1 - WUTFDT---------->No Reception

Below is the list that is generated for my zipcode off of www.antennaweb.org. I've included only the list of digital locals. For me there are a number of Providence/New Bedford stations which have FCC licenses pending or are about to come online. I've sorta' written off the chance of getting the NH stations - wouldn't need them if I could just pull in the others.

Call Sign Channel Network City

WGBH-DT 2.1 PBS Boston
WBZ-DT 4.1 CBS Boston
WCVB-DT 5.1 ABC Boston
WHDH-DT 7.1 NBC Boston
WJAR-DT 10.1 NBC PROVIDENCE
WPRI-DT 12.1 CBS PROVIDENCE
WMFP-DT 18 SAH LAWRENCE
WLWC-DT 22 UPN NEW BEDFORD
WFXT-DT 25.1 FOX Boston
WBPX-DT 32 PAX BOSTON
WSBK-DT 38.1 UPN BOSTON
WGBX-DT 44.1 PBS Boston
WWDP-DT 52.1 SAH NORWELL
WNAC-DT 54 FOX PROVIDENCE
WLVI-DT 56.1 WB Cambridge

If all goes according to Wilt Hildenbrand's latest estimate we should be getting the ability to scan for local channels in about 2 weeks (note, this wait for scanning ability has been ongoing for months and the date has changed many times so take this latest guess with a grain of salt).

Also, I have found my Stealth antenna to be very directionally sensitive. A slight rotation to the antenna and is the difference in getting a signal on several stations. And finally, these digital stations seem to constantly monkey about with their power level so I get a few intermittenly.

Boston Metro Voomers

Anybody got installed by the following company?

Company: Integrisys Communications Group Inc
Phone Number: (603) 431-8155
E-mail Address: BDUBE@INTEGRISYSGROUP.COM

Any good?

I had him for first install, had to go through joe harkins to redo all his screwups. All is well now.

telekol said:
I had him for first install, had to go through joe harkins to redo all his screwups. All is well now.
Thanks.
Can you elaborate more on the screwups? He is supposed to install mine next Saturday.
Any particular thing I should be careful of?

subdude212

When you say "your locals" - the unmapped ones do not show up on your TV screen - right? You have WBZ 4.1 & WSBK 38.1 and these do not show up on my screen. I guess what I'm implying is that I wonder if under my zip they have improper maping of locals I might be able to get. I don't know if there is a setting that has been altered on my box or if install inadvertadly killed these channels not being listed. Install knew sh*t about Voom - don't mean to knock them when maybe I should. I just figured it's a plug & play deal. As with DT* a phone call and then zip problem was taken care of or a explanation given and you knew where you stood. Of coarse I didn't have OTA but had the locals package which you didn't get HD if broadcasted by local station. If supplied antenna can get other channels by fine tunning I will do it myself. If I need a stronger antenna I'll put my own up. I'm either going to stay a Voomer or if DT* puts in a better package (which is unlikely) make a decision. Thanks for your help

poof - magic dragon makes them available

Just checked and now channels are listed that I want to try and get - they wern't there earlier this AM. 4.1 & 38.1 and a few others are now in my channel guide. I am not receiving them (No signal). Can play when weather improves. Crazy system. No;red button had nothing to do with it. Did not unplug either. Early farters day present I guess.

alsie731 said:
4.1 & 38.1 and a few others are now in my channel guide. I am not receiving them (No signal).
To confirm, the local stations I've listed as unmapped are ones that antennaweb suggests I could get but the VOOM onscreen guide doesn't know about them and doesn't list them.

To get the most channels to come in I had to tweak my antenna a bit and found even a slight rotation was the difference in geting a few channels. If you check where the signals are coming from you'll see most are coming from the same area west of Boston so even a directional antenna like the Stealth should do you OK.

FWIW, I moved my antenna from an exterior location on the south side of my house to an internal attic location and improved my ability to get more local channel reception. The external location was a bad idea on the part of the installers as my entire house stood in the way of the broadcast towers. I made the move of the antenna in the winter and I've been awaiting the long promised ability to scan for channels (next VOOM software upgrade any day now) before I contemplate moving the antenna back outdoors if needed to get some of the Providence digital channels. If I keep the Stealth I might need to add a rotor because for me the directional difference of Providence (southwest) and Boston (northwest) is substantial. Interestingly I can get all of the Providence local SD channels with the antenna as it is right now so I might be OK.

alsie731 said:
... Early farters day present I guess.
So, north of Boston they celebrate a day of flatulence? I'm hoping my kids celebrate my paternity and give me a break from the bilabial fricatives :D

subdude212

I like you do not like the location or how they set it up. I am going to move the antenna away from where it's at to a location I know can pick up a better signal. They did not mount the antenna on top of dish but beside it screwed to the roof & I'm going to get a chimney mount and actually raise it 3 feet or better than it now is.(should be minimally noticed from the street just over my protective cap on the chimney) If I cancel and go back to DT* all I will have to do is slap another antenna on the mast. If this was not set up on the back of my house I would have told them to forget install. I actually wanted it mounted to the side peak of the house but they said no. It really looks like a sh*t job but I wanted it done to see HD. They picked a clear view but I think 5' over wouldn't have made a difference. I too will go to rotor if needed. Luv my kids but next lifetime just dogs. Happy Fathers Day. The older they get the less you see of them; just like OTA channels I guess. What's this new software upgrade thing?

What's this new software upgrade thing?[/QUOTE]

Just a dream...

rc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)