Any chance voom will ever let "OTA SD" channels in the guide?

jagouar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
College Station, TX
I only get 2 HD channels where I live (others havent converted over yet) but they all have SD towers here and right now I have a replay hooked up to cable that gets the analog stations fine but I was thinking when voom gives me a PVR I want to cancel my replay but w/o all the stations that wont work for me but I have tried before. Is it just a matter of giving the channels on the guide or is it a UHF/VHF problem?

It isn't a UHF/VHF problem. The Motorola 8VSB module covers both bands.

It is instead a problem of encoding. The voom box is not designed to handle analog video in. That would require all sorts of messy A/D converters, as well as a tuner that tunes the AM video signal, and the FM audio signal, and the QM chroma subcarrier. Yuck!

And all for what, and for how long. Those analog TV tuners are supposed to be dark within 2 years. Note, supposed to be.

It is a hardware issue, and I doubt they will be putting in hardware to tune in substandard signals that should not be needed.

By SD I assume you mean Analog? Digital is also SD when not HD. The Voom box is not setup for Analog. Use a VCR, you'll get better results than a tuner in a HD stb. I use the tuner in my Panny DVD recorder and get a better picture than I do from my local SD digital stations.

DarrellP said:
By SD I assume you mean Analog? Digital is also SD when not HD. The Voom box is not setup for Analog. Use a VCR, you'll get better results than a tuner in a HD stb. I use the tuner in my Panny DVD recorder and get a better picture than I do from my local SD digital stations.

Yes I meant analog.... I was more thinking about simplifying the theater and one device for using all TV would be nice :)

If anything I will get a TV card and put it in my HTPC with sage TV or something but one PVR would be better than trying to use 2 and setting my harmony for multiple tv tuners etc.

Ive gone through the "have to have a device for everything" mode and am now going after the simplicity of HT (yes I know) but I find I much rather have the simplest device config, its just easier to manage and use.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts