PG time is wrong

owlbox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
MA
The time on my set top box is always slow and therefore the PG always tunes to the channel something like 3 minutes after the program has started. Anyone else have this problem or know how to correct it? :confused:

Mine always tune a few seconds before the show stars (using the PP). Did you try to reboot the box to see if there is a corruption in your PG. Also, which channel did this happen. I just recorded the three stooges on Cinema HD two days ago and it was fine. Also recorded Amazing Race and the Yankees game on CBS and the PP worked fine. I did not do any recording yesterday.

I don't remember seeing this behavior prior to updating the firmware. I have recently rebooted (a week ago) and the time is still wrong. I can try again tonight but that is a pain in the #$#% if I have to keep rebooting. Again I don't remember having this issue with the old code.

Does the STB get time corrections via the satellite or does it only set the time once when booting?

I've never recorded anything on mine but I have noticed a couple of times that my box is a few minutes slow -- either that or the networks are colluding to start their shows a few minutes early.

Maybe the time is drifting but the box occassionaly gets an update so the time drifts in and out of calibration...?

owlbox said:
Does the STB get time corrections via the satellite or does it only set the time once when booting?
Actually the time is from bank around the corner from the uplink center.

Some channels start early. I record Tom & Jerry at 11:30 daily for my daughter and it starts as much as 2 minutes early to 1 minute late, and it's not the box, it's the station.

owlbox said:
Maybe the time is drifting but the box occassionaly gets an update so the time drifts in and out of calibration...?
Yep, that's it! I've seen the time be right on & then 5 minutes later it's 3 minutes slow many times. One night I had hit the voom button that brings up the first page(Up top it shows the present time), about to go down to favorites & THEN, It actually went back three minutes & then flipped forward two minutes.:rolleyes:

Wilt, any ideas?

This last post from Couch makes it sound like it is Voom or the box as opposed to the station. Wilt, can you comment on this?

I've got this from Wilt regarding this:

"I'll try to get both and explanation and it looked into.
Thanks for the input.
Wilt"

I have a couple of these little battery operated clocks that pick up the time signal from some atomic clock out west, that broadcasts a radio signal that covers the entire us. They are alway right in sync with each other and I trust that they are receiving the atomic clock radio signal.

I have one on my coffee table, and voom is often showing a different time than the atomic clock does. Voom was over 3 minutes of synch. Voom was showing 3 minutes to the hour, while the atomic clock was showing on the hour, and the tv show for the next hour was starting so the tv station obviously agreed that it was on the hour mark. This is going to be painful when the dvr comes along. Why can't all clocks in all devices pick up this atomic clock radio signal and all be in synch?! They should have battery backups too, so they don't blink when the power goes out and comes back on.

I sure hope voom puts an atomic clock radio signal receiver in their DVR to keep synched to a good time source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts