Any free 1080P material to test 722k?

Kirby Baker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Somewhere in space
I saw some references to a show called "The Beast" in my searches here, but I found no shows in the Dish Online section of my 722k matching that title. Are there currently any free 1080p titles out there I can use to test my 722k's HDMI path to my tv (through Denon receiver)? Or is there a channel I can test with (without paying $6 for a movie I have no interest in)?

You can test the VOD 1080p rental without renting it. There is a final confirmation before accepting the rental. I've tried it many times and it doesn't work because of my HDTV not accepting the 1080p24hz signal required. It's channel 501, so see what's available now.

Oh ok, I was wondering if there was a way to do that on 501. So do I need to be in the first few minutes (does E* still do first 5 minutes preview) or just select the 1080P PPV, run the test, then cancel the PPV purchase?

If your 722k is networked, there is free VOD available. Get their through the first DVR, I think it is the "DISH Online" button. From there select 4 (TV Entertainment) and sort by "HD/1080P."

If your 722k is networked, there is free VOD available. Get their through the first DVR, I think it is the "DISH Online" button. From there select 4 (TV Entertainment) and sort by "HD/1080P."

It is, and i've downloaded some free HD, but nothing seemingly was 1080p? on the online stuff, is there an icon for HD and one for 1080p, or just the HD? Certainly have not found any that try to set my TV to 1080P.

You can test the VOD 1080p rental without renting it. There is a final confirmation before accepting the rental. I've tried it many times and it doesn't work because of my HDTV not accepting the 1080p24hz signal required. It's channel 501, so see what's available now.
Hopefully they will reshow the Beast episodes at some point. The test done with the rental material is not good enough. With some TV's notably some Sony's they revised the code to correctly detect the support of 1080p24 by the sets, but than failed to show the material on these sets. They tended to show say 5 seconds then go dark for 10 seconds etc. So some free 1080P material to test with would help.

My Sony is a KDS55-A3000.

So do I need to be in the first few minutes (does E* still do first 5 minutes preview) or just select the 1080P PPV, run the test, then cancel the PPV purchase?
No, just do what I said. Did you try it yet? They do a test before confirming rental. It tells you if it passed the test or not.

VOD is a download anyway.

I'd also try the 1080p download that kvnfl mentioned. If you sort the results you can see the 1080p downloads grouped together (but it's more cumbersome). Also you can still download it if you don't receive the 1080p version - so you may not even realize that you didn't get the right one. I doubt there is much difference anyway, but maybe you can tell if it works out.

Ok, I just got home and tested this. Went to the 1080p listing on VOD 501, and it ran its test. Checked my TV's display info, and it showed 1080p/24 so it seemed to work. But when I download shows from kvnfl's suggestion, they dont show in 1080p. All those shows also only indicate "HD" in the listing, so I dont know if some/all/none are supposed to be 1080p. I'm going to try several different shows and see if any of them do 1080p.

tnsprin: I am getting that behavior! I have the KDS-60A3000. But I also have a Denon AVR-3808 inline, which the denon has no issues passing 1080p from other sources, but I'm not about to rewire the 722k just to try and get 1080p.

Ok, I just got home and tested this. Went to the 1080p listing on VOD 501, and it ran its test. Checked my TV's display info, and it showed 1080p/24 so it seemed to work. But when I download shows from kvnfl's suggestion, they dont show in 1080p. All those shows also only indicate "HD" in the listing, so I dont know if some/all/none are supposed to be 1080p. I'm going to try several different shows and see if any of them do 1080p.

tnsprin: I am getting that behavior! I have the KDS-60A3000. But I also have a Denon AVR-3808 inline, which the denon has no issues passing 1080p from other sources, but I'm not about to rewire the 722k just to try and get 1080p.
Did it pass the test or not? You left that part out.

Also the download shows have to say 1080p in the title to even be worth trying - so you may want to look a little more. I don't know if there is always a 1080p download from Dish Online.

Well im not sure. My TV kicked into 1080p/24 mode, but then after about 10 seconds, the 722k reported something like "either your tv failed the test, or you didnt confirm the rental fast enough". So from that message, I dont know how anyone is supposed to know if it passed or not.

Well im not sure. My TV kicked into 1080p/24 mode, but then after about 10 seconds, the 722k reported something like "either your tv failed the test, or you didnt confirm the rental fast enough". So from that message, I dont know how anyone is supposed to know if it passed or not.
As with the failed free downloads, this probably has to do with DHCP handshake. Give DISH a ring and ask them if your TV is on their 1080p list. And if not, demand to be added.

Later

If TV kicked in 1080p then it passed the test. The later just means you didn't hit the agree button to rent.

Try it again, or just rent it and see if you are that curious.