Any HD DVD/Blu-ray folks still on the fence?

DTV TiVo Dealer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Scarsdale, NY
If anyone is interested in getting a HD DVD player/Internet portal device and HD DVD disc's this may be your last chance to get one from the first allocation.

Toshiba has sold out their first allotment and their authorized dealers allocations are running short. Their is also a very limited production of the first run of HD DVDs and distribution is very limited. So if you think you can wait a wile or pick one up at launch, I strongly suggest reconsidering and going ahead now and pre-order one today.

Even Blu-ray die hards would be well served to begin enjoying HD DVD and Internet HD downloads now and if you still want a Blu-ray player pick one up this summer.

Don't miss-out on this terrific HD souse.

BTW, my offer is the best available, so check out our site.

-Robert

Anxiously waiting, Robert! ;)
By the way, was the list of first HD DVDs finalized? What are you getting for sure?

Ilya, yes I just got the list late this afternoon and final approval from Warner Bros and Toshiba to be among the very few select authorized retailers to get the very first allotments of HD DVDs. Very few select dealers are authorized and only one software distributor was selected to distribute the HD DVDs. All other retailers and distributors will wait 90 days after the launch to get HD DVDs. So today was one of my greatest days of my career.

I am a little over loaded with work, but I'll try to post the titles, street release dates and prices later this evening.

Parados-SJ, Toshiba HD-A1 and HD-XA1 have RJ45 jacks so you can connect then to the Internet for HD gaming and HD movie and other content downloading. Yahoo, STARZ and FOX have already announced one-time rental downloads of selected HD movies and other content that will work through Toshiba HD DVD devices. Yahoo and STARZ are charging .99 cents per movie rental, FOX has early releases of their movies for $25 each.

-Robert

Hi Robert...

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Ilya, yes I just got the list late this afternoon and final approval from Warner Bros and Toshiba to be among the very few select authorized retailers to get the very first allotments of HD DVDs. Very few select dealers are authorized and only one software distributor was selected to distribute the HD DVDs. All other retailers and distributors will wait 90 days after the launch to get HD DVDs. So today was one of my greatest days of my career.

I am a little over loaded with work, but I'll try to post the titles, street release dates and prices later this evening.

Parados-SJ, Toshiba HD-A1 and HD-XA1 have RJ45 jacks so you can connect then to the Internet for HD gaming and HD movie and other content downloading. Yahoo, STARZ and FOX have already announced one-time rental downloads of selected HD movies and other content that will work through Toshiba HD DVD devices. Yahoo and STARZ are charging .99 cents per movie rental, FOX has early releases of their movies for $25 each.

-Robert

VERY respectfully (TO YOU), I am going to wait all this out. between the Format wars, and this absurd Copy flag for non HDMI that down converts the HD DVD signal....hell can freeze over!

I have a $1000 upconverting Pioneer Elite 59 DVD + and Plasma Upconverting TV + a RP Mits HD TV all with 720p native and HDMI 1.1. Have no Idea what is converting what, but it looks great for a line doubled pic...Heck, I am still smarting from the ole betamax fiasco (and I am an early adoptor!) I also started with a Focus Enhancements Upconverter when the early Line doublers were not that great (was $1000 back then)

Best of luck to all and do let us know? BTW: where is everyone getting their 1080P TV's...the new HDMI standard will not be out for a while, then we start again...NOT!

When BlockBuster comits to a standar...the war will end IMHO!

I spent over $8k last year between the Plasma HD, RP HD Mits, pioneer Elite receiver and Elite 59 DVD...I can bear it! And that does not include the HDMI rip off cables from Monster that I found are not any better that a $12 cable for the current HDMI!
Wishing you well!
jeff

Last edited:
DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Glad to hear that! Congratulations, Robert!

Here's is an early preliminary list of the first eight 3/28/06 Warner HD DVD releases. The highest priced titles will list at $29.99 and those of you who have orders placed with me for a Toshiba HD-A1 or HD-XA1 will pay about $25 each and if ordered to ship with the player shipping will be free. This is just my best estimate and I will firm up all of the details in a private email to my entire group of advance HD DVD player customers.

Batman Begins, Million Dollar Baby, Phantom of the Opera, The last Samurai, Constantine, Lethal Weapon, Twister and Training Day. Chronos HD DVD will also be shipping by 3/28/06.

Of course, all HD DVD player orders will ship with your selected free HD DVD.

Warner has an aggressive roll-out of more titles through the spring and many more titles from other studios will also be releasing their HD DVDs on 3/28 for about the same price, so stay tuner for more information.

-Robert

calikarim said:
Robert i have ordered my toshiba XA-1 from you and hope to recive it with Batman Will it be on time on March 28. I hope .

Thank you and you will get Batman Begins HD DVD and your new HD-XA1 HD DVD player/Internet portal device on time.

-Robert

Thanks for the info, Robert!

I've heard that Chronos may be released as early as 3/15. What are they telling you on that?

Robert,
Pre-ordered mine on 1-13-06 and I can't wait to get it. I live on the left coast so I'll probably have mine a day later then everyone else. Maybe they could just air drop mine from the plane as they go buy.:)

Can't wait for your list of available titles you'll be offering so I can give you more business.

No way I'm spending that on HD DVD or BD since I have my cake already and can eat it as well.
I'm waiting until the price drops as did on DVD and put my money on other things this year and wait for the HD disc makers to loose their ass's. The supply on this high end is going to be well over the meager demand for many, many fiscals.

But kudos to those who dive in cause their ain't nothing like the smell of equipment heating up for that very first time. ahhhh :)

DTV TiVo Dealer said:

-Robert

How will this work? Does this thing have a hard drive to cache the movie? If not, its gotta be a big media chip to store an HD movie. Do you have a link that talks about this more?

All HD DVD players and HD DVD disc orders received by 3/27/06 will ship on 3/28/06.

If you have a reliable broadband connection you will stream the movies through the HD-A1 or HD-XA1 RJ45 port to your HDTV, no recording or storage. Yahoo and STARZ are the first two Internet suppliers who have announced renting streaming movies so far for .99 cents per movie.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
If you have a reliable broadband connection you will stream the movies through the HD-A1 or HD-XA1 RJ45 port to your HDTV, no recording or storage. Yahoo and STARZ are the first two Internet suppliers who have announced renting streaming movies so far for .99 cents per movie.
-Robert

I doubt that. You realize how fast a connection that would be? Even regular DVD's peak out a 9000kbps. Even a 8 megabit Comcast cable connection would studder like crazy. With Mpeg 4 streaming, a HD stream would hit well over 10 megabit.
A HD movie can be close to 20 gigs. Only the fastest Fios broadband would have a chance... and that is going to be an HD lite movie no doubt.

I can see WMV HD streaming... Those bitrates are possible with current broadbands speeds.. But WMV HD is hardly true HD. I am interested on the technical means this will be done.. Its sounds like fluff and just talk at this time. About the only way that I have heard people streaming HD is from PC Harddrives with a 3 ghz pentium running out to a network DVD player via a RJ45 connection.. Even streaming HD via WiFI network is not fast enough... And a home network is going to be much faster then an internet connection.. This stuff Yahoo and Starz is selling has got to be a watered down.. low low rez HD.

samatha6 said:
I doubt that. You realize how fast a connection that would be? Even regular DVD's peak out a 9000kbps. Even a 8 megabit Comcast cable connection would studder like crazy. With Mpeg 4 streaming, a HD stream would hit well over 10 megabit.
A HD movie can be close to 20 gigs. Only the fastest Fios broadband would have a chance... and that is going to be an HD lite movie no doubt.

I can see WMV HD streaming... Those bitrates are possible with current broadbands speeds.. But WMV HD is hardly true HD. I am interested on the technical means this will be done.. Its sounds like fluff and just talk at this time. About the only way that I have heard people streaming HD is from PC Harddrives with a 3 ghz pentium running out to a network DVD player via a RJ45 connection.. Even streaming HD via WiFI network is not fast enough... And a home network is going to be much faster then an internet connection.. This stuff Yahoo and Starz is selling has got to be a watered down.. low low rez HD.

I would love to read about this 'vaporware" as it sounds good...no, it sounds GREAT but alas I doubt it will come to pass for the very reason you stated.

I was told at the HDDVD demo that the only thing the the interna NIC would e used for is firmware/software updates via the net. They mentioned nothing about streaming.

If full res/bit rate HD stream were possiable we wouldnt need DVD players and I would gladly sign up for that monthly service.

samatha6 said:

You're quite wrong on almost all counts.

Even regular DVD's peak out a 9000kbps.
No, they don't. Very few players would be able to play those discs and unless we are talking about Superbit discs, no studio will risk incompatibility with mainstream/el cheapo drives.

With Mpeg 4 streaming, a HD stream would hit well over 10 megabit.
A HD movie can be close to 20 gigs.
Numbers pulled from thin air, right? ;) The only one I came across with similar size was Gladiator, around 19GB, a two and a half hour long 1080in MPEG2+DD5.1 @18Mbit - but in Xvid it's between 8-9GB somewhere, so it was around 6-7Mbit. Considering it's a very high-end quality stuff (ATSC), it's safe to assume 4-5Mbit for a full 720p would be more than enough. After all here I'm agreeing with you, that only a WNVHD or similar MPEG4 stream will be possible. However most of the movies are doable at decent rez/bitrate on a premium cable or DSL connection, you just need a large buffer at your end to balance out network congestions - which, I'm pretty sure, will be taken care of by Toshiba or Pioneer etc.

2. WMV HD is actually not only full, real, TRUE HD but produces *better* image than MPEG2 at half bandwidth. According to others' and my own tests, at higher bitrate it's even better than Xvid a little bit. Unfortunately there's no player with WMA Pro 5.1 over S/PDIF or Toslink support and since the WME doesn't support AC3 by default, only two choices lkeft for me; using WM9 VCM interface via VirtualDubMod so I can include AC3 sound or just relax and the world's best all-inclusive encoder, the AutoGK and Xvid w/ AC3 built-in. I'm lazy and the difference is very-very negligible between similar-sized WMVHD nad Xvid files and only noticeable if the source was some very high bitrate ATSC MPEG2 or my own HDV footage, so I'm using Xvid.

3. If you're interested in technical details, perhaps you should read up on the subject, so you won't be saying such things like HD cannot be done over WiFi, for example. FYI: I DO WATCH HD over WiFi, moreover I usually first watch these as full MPEG2 transport stream dumps which - generally speaking - needs twice as much bandwidth than VC-1 or h.264 or Xvid would ever require.

4. You're quite wrong on hardware requirements as well - standalone players typically built on dedicated chip design, unlike computers built on general computing arhictecture or in other words your 3GHz Pentium requirement - which, by the way, by no mean a requirement, especially not for MPEG2, it's another false info - doesn't mean anything in a comparison against a standalone player. FYI: I own a Snazio Net DVD Cinema HD player (model SZ-1350) and it plays every format (except some very old stuff) and resolution inclduing HD (except h.264 - it came out earlier), over wired or wifi connection, from disc or from my NAS or from a 1GB front-plugged USB key.

5. Most likely what Starz and others will sell is some h.264 or WMVHD 720p or 1080i (pretty much same size/bandwidth) movie. I can tell you right now that my Xvid-compressed 720p movies are already really nice around 4-5Mbit, so no, it won't be watered down at all, especially not when it'll be compared to Dish's or DirecTY's EDTV-resolution fake HD channels.

To be honest I'm still wondering what's the reason they did not put a hard drive into these new players, solely for these services...? Storage is dirst cheap nowadays and unless they don't make it possible, it's useless for copying content from discs, so even their usual paranoid content protection-boggled minds can't explain this...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts