Any hope for this dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GenBap

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 25, 2011
Southeast Missouri
Photo05271208_1.jpgPhoto05271209_1.jpgPhoto05271208.jpgPhoto05271209.jpg

I saw this dish today and was wondering if there is any hope for it? How can I repair the torn edges if possible?

Run away, don't walk.....

Many more opportunities for a free dish out there that will only require a strong back and a scrub brush!

Pull the feed horn and BUC for a future project.

Can't tell if it's a 4' or a 6'.
I don't recognize it as a Prodelin (but might be), nor Channel Master/Andrew, but maybe someone else knows?
I'd look to see what sort of dish it is, then proceed to take home the three LNB support arms and the feedhorn.
But, that's just me.

Someone would be happy to get the feed and maybe LNB/BUC.

As for the dish, I have to agree: keep looking.

Looks like a 1.2 meter Prodelin. As Brian and Anole said, salvage the feedhorn, the LNB supports, and mount (if applicable). The reflector is trash. Reminds me of a 1.2 meter Channel Master I found after Katrina. I took the feed supports, parts of the NPRM that weren't rusted out, and left the rest.

What's really sad is that the dish was probably in perfect condition until someone threw it from a roof to get rid of it.

I would go with Anole's suggestion and salvage the components that are not damaged (lnb and supports, etc.) plus, if the mount still is attached and undamaged, I would get it. You never know, the next dish you find might have a missing lnb, missing supports but a relector that looks almost new. Good luck.

The feedhorn is the LNB...they can be used on other dishes

So a feedhorn off of a commercial dish like this can be used for FTA? So that is a free LNB sitting on that dish basically? How do they compare to the LNB's I have been buying off of ebay like the spitfire elite? I assumed if I found a commercial dish not in use I would have to get a new lnb for FTA - good to know I do not have too. Sorry for the ignorant questions, still really new to this.

LNBs and dish recycling 101

• When you buy a bare dish, you need to buy an LNBF.

• When you recycle one of the larger DBS (Direct Broadcast Satellite) dishes (DishNet, DirecTV) ya need an LNBF to replace the circular LNBF they come with.

• However, if you run across an old Primestar, the Andrew/ChannelMaster commercial dishes, Prodelin, Hughes, DirecWay, or other Ku receive or transmit/receive dishes, they have a matching feedhorn and quality LNB. (some may have a transmitter, but you disregard that!) See those rectangular dishes on many gas stations? They're four feet wide and perform very much like a 1.2m dish.
The elliptical Primestar (-like) dishes have matching feedhorns to take full advantage of the odd shape.
Running a round feed on such a dish is less than optimal

I'd rate an old round 1m Primestar, or the similar elliptical 84e dish as excelent for performance, using the supplied feed and LNB.

It is worth noting that the feedhorn on the Prodelins (at least the one in the picture, which is identical to my 1.2M Prodelin) is NOT the common C-120 flange. It is the same size, but the bolt hole configuration is slightly different. You can mount a C-120-flanged LNB such as the FSS LNB from a Superdish on it, but you'll either have to drill new holes or use fewer screws to attach the LNB to the feedhorn. I just went out and looked at mine, and it seems only two of the four screw holes on a C-120 LNB will line up.

Mine was in use at a friend's house with only two screws in place for years, and there was never any trouble. Be sure that the O-ring is in place between the feedhorn and the LNB, and you'll be weathertight. Using that feedhorn will be important if you ever do find the same dish without one (or with a damaged one).

Last edited:
Brian, I'm not sure what it is. It's probably proprietary. It's not a WR-75, that's the square/recatangular feed that's often found on single polarity LNBs. This has the exact dimensions of a C-120, same round shape, size, and everything, but the bolt holes are in a slightly different pattern. Probably some proprietary design from the BUC manufacturer (Gilat) :( ...

When my friend and I first pulled this dish from the top of a closed post office building and took it home, I told him later that day to mount one of my Hughes C-120 LNBs on the feedhorn. He called me and told me it wouldn't line up. I said "Of course it will!"... He said "I bet you it won't!" I'm glad I didn't take the bet ;) ... We managed to get two bolt holes on opposite sides of the feedhorn to line up, and bolted the new LNB on, hoping the O-ring was enough to seal any gap that might have been left due to the omitted screws.

Last edited:
I have an elliptical DirecWay dish (39w x 23h) with rectangular feedhorn.
But, I'm missing the original LNB (and BUC [transmitter])
A DishNet FSS LNB won't fit directly, 'cause the DirecWay flange is threaded for screws!
Drilling it out would let me attach the FSS LNB, but there are so many other options, I hate to ruin a part for such a trivial matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts