Any IPTV device that streams ESPN3?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I'm a new owner of a Roku and also apple tv. But after playing with both for a bit it doesn't appear I can stream ESPN3 from either one. Is this correct? With college football season coming up it would be nice to watch ESPN3 on my tv. I used my Xbox 360 last year, but I let my Xbox live membership expire recently because I hardly ever even turn the machine on anymore. I've also got a Logitech revue that I recently unhooked for the same reason. Any other ideas for streaming ESPN3 to my tv?

You should check out playon and playon scripts which add more channel pack to playon. You can get a 14 day free trial and they have a monthly, yearly, or lifetime fee which is very reasonable. I got my lifetime for $59.99. Most of the add on scripts are channels that have a bunch of channels in the pack and are free to add. I believe I did see espn3 in one of these packs. I'm not into sports, so I'm not sure, but there are a ton of free channels and movies and fun stuff to watch. It wouldn't hurt to look and right now you can get playon for $49.99 ( of course they started the lower price sale after I paid mine lol) Give it a try.

BarbaraW said:
You should check out playon and playon scripts which add more channel pack to playon. You can get a 14 day free trial and they have a monthly, yearly, or lifetime fee which is very reasonable. I got my lifetime for $59.99. Most of the add on scripts are channels that have a bunch of channels in the pack and are free to add. I believe I did see espn3 in one of these packs. I'm not into sports, so I'm not sure, but there are a ton of free channels and movies and fun stuff to watch. It wouldn't hurt to look and right now you can get playon for $49.99 ( of course they started the lower price sale after I paid mine lol) Give it a try.

I briefly checked into playon in the past and if memory serves me right it doesn't work with a Mac. Is that correct?

I don't know, but I'm guessing Mac's dont have an HDMI output either? I just plug my laptop into the big screen the few times I want to use ESPN 3 now. I used to use it more, until my HTPC died a couple of years ago. I have other devices that took the HTPC spot and espn 3 isn't needed as much now.

Espn3 is available via playon if your isp allows it.You have to verify espn3 playon edition before it will work.If your isp doesn't allow it then no dice.AT&T does allow it so I tried it out and it does work but,with wireless only it sometimes gets a lil choppy.Playon recommends a wired connection.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dosent a XBOX 360 do ESPN 3?

It does, and I may end up going back to my Xbox live membership. But I cancelled it a few months back because I never play anymore. As a matter of fact, the only time the 360 was used last year was for ESPN3. I was just hoping to go another route this year.

smokey982 said:
I have very little experience with media servers. I always thought they were used for accessing pictures and videos from files on your computer. I didn't know you could access streaming video from websites.

Plex does all the things you mentioned including the ability to add channels like ESPN3 and Pandora.

I've tried playon with the Roku, and also through a media player, and found the PQ to be awful with just about any of their "channels". I just watch Espn3 on my laptop if there's something I really need to see.

Bulldog78 said:
I use the Roku plex app for eapn3, it works great.

Well I downloaded plex for my Mac last night and I just can't seem to get it to work. According to the plex website, once the download is complete it should take me to a setup screen. But that never happens. I can click on the plex app and it opens up full screen in what I assume is the console. But that console only let's me change the preferences. I have the plex app on the Roku as well and it doesn't seem to find the server (I don't think it's running, but don't know how to change that). Do you know if they offer phone support? I'm currently at work and have no way to check from here.

Well I downloaded plex for my Mac last night and I just can't seem to get it to work. According to the plex website, once the download is complete it should take me to a setup screen. But that never happens. I can click on the plex app and it opens up full screen in what I assume is the console. But that console only let's me change the preferences. I have the plex app on the Roku as well and it doesn't seem to find the server (I don't think it's running, but don't know how to change that). Do you know if they offer phone support? I'm currently at work and have no way to check from here.

No experience with Mac but,Plex works great on the windows pc to the roku.

smokey982 said:

It sounds like you downloaded the Plex media center on your Mac. If you go back to the plex website and click downloads, then Mac downloads you should see download plex media server. This is what you will need. Please let me know if you have any trouble.

It sounds like you downloaded the Plex media center on your Mac. If you go back to the plex website and click downloads, then Mac downloads you should see download plex media server. This is what you will need. Please let me know if you have any trouble.

I deleted everything I downloaded last night and started from scratch. I went to the Plex website and downloaded the Plex media server just as you said. It downloaded a file with this name, "PlexMediaServer-0.9.6.7.204-266f05d-OSX.dmg". But when I click on the file, it opens up a screen that flashes for maybe 2-3 seconds and then just disappears. It's so fast I can't really read it. But it says something like "welcome to plex", and ask if I want it to check for updates automatically. It's as if it tries to open the file but something immediately shuts it down. Any ideas?

smokey982 said:
I deleted everything I downloaded last night and started from scratch. I went to the Plex website and downloaded the Plex media server just as you said. It downloaded a file with this name, "PlexMediaServer-0.9.6.7.204-266f05d-OSX.dmg". But when I click on the file, it opens up a screen that flashes for maybe 2-3 seconds and then just disappears. It's so fast I can't really read it. But it says something like "welcome to plex", and ask if I want it to check for updates automatically. It's as if it tries to open the file but something immediately shuts it down. Any ideas?

You installed only the server. In the same download page you can see the client. After install the server you need to install the client. After install open the client to add the channel. You can view and install the channels only from client.

bharath_das said:
You installed only the server. In the same download page you can see the client. After install the server you need to install the client. After install open the client to add the channel. You can view and install the channels only from client.

Server: plex media server
Client: plex media center.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)