ORB BR for OPPO 83 and other OPPO models (& PS3 etc)

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I was cleaning out my inbox and came across an email from October 2011 from OPPO about the ORB BR. From the e-mail:

-----------------------------------

Dear ,
We hope you have been as pleased with the performance of the OPPO BDP-83/BDP-80 Blu-ray player as we have over the past two and a half years. As part of our ongoing effort to provide continued longevity and value to our customers, we would like to inform you about an exciting new product from Orb Networks, the Orb BR. The Orb BR enables your OPPO BDP-83/BDP-80 Blu-ray player to stream content from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video on Demand, Comedy Central and much more for just $19.99 (plus shipping).

The Orb BR is incredibly easy to use. Simply install the Orb Caster on your Mac or PC, insert the Orb BR into your BDP-83/BDP-80, and sit back and relax as you use your iOS or Android touch device to gain access to an internet of streaming services. It is that easy!

For more information, please visit http://www.orb.com/oppo.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc
2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

------------------------------------------------

More info here, and for the PS3 version, here. I see little reason to put it on the PS3.

I'd like to add Amazon Instant Video to my main theater with an OPPO 83, but am not quite sold. Most reviews are not very thorough, but I found a couple. Here is a positive one, and here is a negative one, mentioning audio lag problems but is a year old and focuses on the PS3. And it appears awkward to use, requiring a smartphone to control it, and my main PC would have to be on also. I suppose the DLNA feature might be nice, but doesn't the PS3 already do that with Twonky? I haven't used that but intend to one day.

Has anyone used this? Results?

Think it would play nice with Hopper DLNA?

It keeps mentioning Amazon VOD. Think that includes Amazon Instant Video?

I'd prefer something that just adds menu options to the 83. Anyone know of any other way to add Amazon Instant Video to the OPPO 83?

I won't likely be buying the upcoming OPPO, even if it has Amazon capability built in. I haven't even updated my 83's firmware, since it loses some ISO capability and gains nothing (IIRC). I'm tempted to just buy another LG BD670 or 620 for around $120 (or even, <sheepish> a ROKU) but then I'd have two optical disc players connected to the same AVR- three, if I also connect my multi-disc player back up. Still reading over at AVS.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I haven't used that, but I do use Amazon all the time. I am a Prime member, so there ar some pretty good things on it now. The Sony 790 also does 5.1 when it's available. The PAnasonic does not as of yet. I have never had a problem with Amazon. Every once when a while you get free Instant Video coupons when you order BDs from AMazon. I had about $50 one time. Watched abunch of new releses for basically free.

S~

Thanks, but I am unlikely to buy Sony again, due to too many bad experiences. Besides, that series does not appear to support Amazon streaming, per the pictures displayed. Or are you saying using the Sony 790 is how you're using Amazon?

Really depends. The ORb should include streaming for Prime members. It all depends on how long it's been since they updated their ap. Amazon is all under one big umbrella. It includes Prime, Instant video, etc. I am liking the 790 more and more every day. Oppo hasn't fired up in I don't know how long.

S~

Not helping you with the 83, but the new Roku dongle that should be compatible the new Oppo coming will be a welcome addition and solves Oppo's lack of net content.

Hadn't heard of that. Compatible with the "new" Oppo? Not the older ones, such as the 83? :(

Thanks for the link. :(

Won't work with my current Oppo, TVs or Onkyos. I see another device on my main TV for Amazon Instant Video viewing in the future.

That $500 price point will keep me from ever buying Oppo again. I like them for SACD & DVD-A support, but frankly my other BD players have smoother FF searching, etc on both DVDs and BDs.

Well, DUH! My wife asked if we could do Amazon Instant on her iPad (yes) and connect it to the TV. Well, I bought the adapters for such when I gave her the iPad but we never used them. Time to hook it all up and see what the PQ is like.

Didn't work. iPad to AV receiver to TV started fine, but failed to show the program and just reverted to where you select PLAY. I will try a direct connect to another TV. Maybe it detects what we're trying to do and won't allow it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)