Any known tricks to get 920 to boot up?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

highskies

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Texarkana
I haven't used the receiver in ages, so when I plugged it up the other day it's showing those 2 weird looking characters on the left, followed by what looks like three eights, and all 5 lights are lit up beneath, the dc light, etc. It displays like this forever, never changes, never goes into warm-up. I've unplugged it, plugged it back in countless times, still the same thing. Is this 920 toast? Or has someone else experienced something similar then resolved it finally? If it's not resolvable, then I don't want to waste much time with it. Just thought maybe someone might know some neat tricks, such as holding certain buttons down when plugging it back in or something, to force it into warm-up.

If you haven't already make sure you remove all the other cables and see if that helps.

Nothing is currently plugged into it..no rg6, no svid, nothing. Still has no effect. If the battery has died, will it still boot up?

If you have VC2 board remove that.

Should boot with a dead battery.

Read in another post how someone's VC2 battery leaked over the 4DTV board - not pretty

I have a DSR410 with a dead battery that continually illuminates all the front panel lights and never boots up. The video outputs just display a gray screen.

Interesting, I'd always understood they would boot with a dead battery, only they would have a bad UID and wouldn't retain any changes you make to the setup.

highskies, if possible can you check the voltage of the battery?

...If the battery has died, will it still boot up?

Yes, a 920 will boot up with a dead battery. I just replaced the battery in my old 920 that had already lost its UID. I did this last month while the maps were still on G1-3. For the price of a battery, I wanted it as a back-up mover.

Anyway, since its UID was already toast, I removed the old battery before installing the new one. Just for kicks, I booted 'er up with no battery installed at all. So the presence of a battery isn't required to boot up.

I guess to be safe I should state... No one with a functioning unit should change their battery the way I did! I just did mine that way because there was nothing left to lose.

I don't know what your booting problem is, but it's not because of a dead battery.

Cheers

Yes, a 920 will boot up with a dead battery. I just replaced the battery in my old 920 that had already lost its UID. I did this last month while the maps were still on G1-3. For the price of a battery, I wanted it as a back-up mover.

Anyway, since its UID was already toast, I removed the old battery before installing the new one. Just for kicks, I booted 'er up with no battery installed at all. So the presence of a battery isn't required to boot up.

I guess to be safe I should state... No one with a functioning unit should change their battery the way I did! I just did mine that way because there was nothing left to lose.

I don't know what your booting problem is, but it's not because of a dead battery.

Cheers

Since the battery doesn't seem to be the problem, what if I lifted it about 5 feet off the ground and just let it drop? I wonder if that would fix anything that's sticking? I'm seriously thinking about trying it. Don't know if I will tho, but I'm seriously considering it. This thing is pretty much useless at this point anyway.

Since the battery doesn't seem to be the problem, what if I lifted it about 5 feet off the ground and just let it drop?...

I know guys who have tried that, but I don't recall ever hearing of it working. LOL!

Presuming you're giving up on this unit, if you have the space, you might just wanna put 'er in storage & keep it for parts. You never know when you or someone you know needs something off of it.

Cheers

Since the battery doesn't seem to be the problem, what if I lifted it about 5 feet off the ground and just let it drop? I wonder if that would fix anything that's sticking? I'm seriously thinking about trying it. Don't know if I will tho, but I'm seriously considering it. This thing is pretty much useless at this point anyway.

Err...no...not recommended...might land on your toe!

Power supply might be shot. Try measuring the output voltage to see if it's good.

Power supply might be shot. Try measuring the output voltage to see if it's good.

This sounds like a logical conclusion. How would I go about testing? I have very limited knowledge of things like that. What do I need to test with? If it turns out the power supply is the problem, is this something one could fix themselves, even without any prior experience? I've replaced power supplies in computers before, but I suspect it's not exactly the same thing.

highskies said:
This sounds like a logical conclusion. How would I go about testing? I have very limited knowledge of things like that. What do I need to test with? If it turns out the power supply is the problem, is this something one could fix themselves, even without any prior experience? I've replaced power supplies in computers before, but I suspect it's not exactly the same thing.

I remember reading somewhere about capacitor problems causing issues with 4DTVs - not sure if this is applicable here.

Regarding testing, if you're not familiar you'd be best advised to call on the help of a suitably skilled friend, local repair shop, or ATS.

ATS will repair down to the component layer.

All of this takes time and money, you may decide it easier/quicker/less hassle to look for a replacement on eBay or your local charity aid shop.

You need to get a voltmeter, preferably a digital one if you can find one that's cheap enough. The output voltage from the power supply board output going into the main board should be equal to whatever is marked on the board. To measure, you simply touch the + terminal with the red wire and the - terminal with the black wire. Unsure of the exact value but it should be DC 12V or something near that number. Take a picture of the power supply board (where AC cord is attached to) and post here if you are unsure where the terminals are and we will help you out.

PwrSurge

I have a DSR410 with a dead battery that continually illuminates all the front panel lights and never boots up. The video outputs just display a gray screen.

I had 2 starchoice 421's do the same thing. I got back into one of them once, and noticed the UID had changed. After that, neither one would boot properly. This happened about 5 months ago. Just a second ago, I tested one of the batteries I had removed from unit. It has just been setting on a shelf, but still measures 3.67 volts.

Catamount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)