Any long Memorial Day weekend FTA projects?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
With the first long weekend and it finally getting nicer out (well here its only 65 today) ;) the question is...

Got any FTA projects you are going to work on this weekend?

Just got done with mine. Reran all new cabling from the dish farm on the roof. 4 new lines (the Directv and 2 antenna ones were newer)

Damn I started working on it and boy there was some ghetto rigging there. One cable had a 12-15" piece where electrical tape was around it. Peeled off the tape and there was a crack in the cable and the shielding was exposed. Guess the simple way was to tape it up. Had a couple runs like that. Another run was spliced together.

So in the end
4 new runs from the dish farm into the basement which bypassed the 3 coax wall plate and getting rid of splices in the line
added the DBS LNB back to the motorized (I know there isnt much on there but I was already on the roof)
cleaned it all up so it looks a lot nicer than it was with cables twisted coming down the house

Have a couple other simple ones left (add a LNB to the "broken" fixed dish)....maybe 101 KU if possible...we'll see :)

I took a day off work today, so it would be a four day weekend:)

Buried 1 1/4" PVC Conduit from the shop to the new BUD, pulled the cable through and hooked everything up.

Couldn't get signal on one of the channels from the GeoSat C2, will have to troubleshoot that another day.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Picking up 3 free ones this weekend. One 1.1 meter Channel Master with nonpenetrating mount. One 6 foot solid Channel Master with nonpenetrating base. And one 10 foot KTI dish with nonpenetrating mount. Can't wait for the morning!

Got the backhoe out for the septic tank / drainfield and now will backfill at least two of the holes with posts for BUDS. Other than that, it is just another weekend, with too much rain and wind - and c-c-c-c-cold. Sleet , rain and hail a few minutes ago. More snow on the Simcoes!

ENJOY and Thanks toall who serve or have served in our military.
POP

My weekend projects include:
1 - Grounding OTA antenna.
2 - Adjusting 4' motorized that became misaligned during a storm several months ago.
3 - Adjusting 8' stationary dish aimed at AMC 3 that became misaligned during a storm a few weeks ago (lost the RTV channels and MeTV is now weak).
4 - Aiming a dish at 30 Hispasat for the movies.
5 - looking to see what is ITC on 110 which was mentioned here, but got deleted.

If I get at least 2 of the above 5 tasks completed I'll be happy.

Digging hole for 21' pole, setting up pole with anti-rotation fins, conduit for cabling. Might even get to concrete.

I'm going to switch over to a Zinwell 6x8 switch, for the C-band and Ku dishes, and see how I like it. It's not a big deal, since I recently relabled all my cables and know where they go.
:)

Lots of recording from the NASA mux as the final days of STS-134 play out...

Attempting to track down a pesky problem that causes me to lose signal momentarily at random times during the day. Have eliminated all switches.

With all the yard work and my veg garden planting!wont be much time for anything else.I would like to do some new scanning and try to set up some kind of tv schedule of my more favorite watched channels on the internet for quicker info on whats on.

* Installing a new sample PLL LNBF on my home system for long term testing.
* touching up the motor alignment to optimize signals on the end of my eastern arc (losing 5 points on a few desired transponders).
* Install a new inline amp and better splitter on the ATSC over the air antenna (losing a few of the weaker San Franciso stations on the back bedroom TV).
* Playtime with the micro bud and a sample MPEG 4 receiver. :)

Seems like you guys in the mid west are getting the crummy weather we had a week or so ago.Its been upper 70s to mid 80s with lots of sun for this holiday time this year.

I got NOTHING done today. It was a beautiful sunny day in the low 80's and I had no motivation to work on my dishes which is very odd for me. Several months ago I was out in the snow adjusting and performing tests and now it's beautiful out and I did nothing. I'm hoping tomorrow will go better.

Nothing Here...

This weekend begins my "FTA Inactivity Time" ...at least as far as the dish farm is concerned.
Usually it starts to slowly warm up in early May but it's been in the 90's here for 2 weeks already! :eek:
When the Florida summer sun starts incinerating everything around here, the dish farm is pretty much on it's own out there.
-Unless something craps out, and repairs need to be made. :rolleyes:
My outdoor FTA projects usually take place in the winter, when the highs are in the 50's and 60's. :D

It's not a long weekend for me but I'm going to finally mount my fixed dishes on the side of my house after a month of them temporarily sitting on my fence. My neighbors will be happy. I also want to rewire my OTA antenna.

This weekend begins my "FTA Inactivity Time" ...at least as far as the dish farm is concerned.
Usually it starts to slowly warm up in early May but it's been in the 90's here for 2 weeks already! :eek:
When the Florida summer sun starts incinerating everything around here, the dish farm is pretty much on it's own out there.
-Unless something craps out, and repairs need to be made. :rolleyes:
My outdoor FTA projects usually take place in the winter, when the highs are in the 50's and 60's. :D

I'm with Euro, work time is long over here in the south. Its time to retire inside for all but the most urgent tasks until fall.

You can get out from daylight until about noon, then again from 5- till dark if you REALLY want to.

That being said, I'll probably slowly start working on my new Dino-Dish whenever I can. Lots of fans in the shop and lots of water, that's about all you can do.

IF I am not at work trying to catch up do to this wet wet spring,

I will be mowing in between the raindrops and finding my dishes

and all of the tools that I lost during last winter's tweaks and deicings!!!...

I've got a pile of analog receivers I recently picked up so I'll go through those to see if they work :)

Already ripped out the VCII boards

Attachments

• PICT0170.JPG
    PICT0170.JPG
    842.8 KB · Views: 187
  • PICT0151.JPG
    PICT0151.JPG
    814.2 KB · Views: 1,720
  • PICT0165.JPG
    PICT0165.JPG
    864.2 KB · Views: 430
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)