Any new channel rumors?

We already have TCM-HD, although TCM doesn't actually have any HD content as yet....

While TCM does not have any actual HD content yet, they do up-convert all of their content.

They are also showing anything which has been restored from the restored print.

I had a chance to post the HD and FORMAT questions to a forum at the 2010 TCM Film Festival in April 2010, and posted a long note regarding both their HD content plans and their programming departments responses to other issues. That post can be found at:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-hd-looks-fuzzier-than-its-8.html#post2180685

The newly restored prints referenced in the link above have all been shown on TCM and the quality was as good as DN's HD Lite will allow it to be. Even the non-restored prints, some going back to the early 20s, look much better up-converted on TCM HD.

PBS HD nationwide would be nice, I know I sound like a broken record. I do love the movies such as TBS in HD, and I'm one of the minority that thinks we don't need any more sports channels, hunting & fishing channels, or shopping channels. HD works best for theater quality movies and content like Masterpiece Theatre & the travel shows on PBS. Just my opinion.

How about getting all the Locals in HD before we add any new channels.

Locals in HD and National HD are two separate things.

Locals are located on spot beams. These spot beams have a certain capacity. Some markets may stay SD even if there is spot beam capacity in their area. There are other costs like fiber backhaul that come into play with really small markets. Some locals are on national TPs right now (on 77) waiting on a launch of a spot beam satellite. When the new satellites are launched to EA (at 77 and 61.5) they will have more spot beam capacity and possibly be able to add more HD markets in the eastern US.

National HD is on CONUS TPs. A different pool of capacity.

Their's alot of channels Dish doesn't offer including:

MTVJams
FamilyNet
American Life Network
Pure Country
PBS Kids Sprout
MTV Hits
VH1 Soul
The Mtn.

i wonder if dish will ever add cspan 3 or any of the other cspans in hd? ty for any help :) i would rather have national had than locals but for people that dont have their locals in hd they should get it before national hd :)

Locals in HD and National HD are two separate things.

Locals are located on spot beams. These spot beams have a certain capacity. Some markets may stay SD even if there is spot beam capacity in their area. There are other costs like fiber backhaul that come into play with really small markets. Some locals are on national TPs right now (on 77) waiting on a launch of a spot beam satellite. When the new satellites are launched to EA (at 77 and 61.5) they will have more spot beam capacity and possibly be able to add more HD markets in the eastern US.

National HD is on CONUS TPs. A different pool of capacity.

Roger that!

What would be helpful for those of us either getting some, or none of our locals in HD would be if DISH would at least provide some sort of planned schedule for when in the next year or two they planned to provide HD for all local markets.......and if for some reason locals in HD are not going to happen for that market due to whatever the reason.........then lets lay it out so folks can decide what they want to do.

Dish has never really reveled their plans for LiL over the years. Even when they were first rolling out they would produce maps of future markets with random spots on them that did not correspond to markets. It is probably for a couple reasons, one being station negotiations. Dish did not want to promise a market before the stations agreed. The second being competitive reasons with DIRECTV.

Right now I would say that your chances of getting a market converted to HD is higher if you are east of the Mississippi in the shorter term. When they launch the new satellite to 77 later this year they will have a lot of capacity in the East. They do not have announced spot beam satellites for the western arc, but if they did an 8PSK conversion they could turn on more capacity that they have already launched but are not using, but this would probably take a year to do a conversion since there would be a lot of boxes to be changed out.

PBS HD nationwide would be nice, I know I sound like a broken record. I do love the movies such as TBS in HD, and I'm one of the minority that thinks we don't need any more sports channels, hunting & fishing channels, or shopping channels. HD works best for theater quality movies and content like Masterpiece Theatre & the travel shows on PBS. Just my opinion.

I would love to see MPT added in the DC market. They already let Baltimore view it and DirecTV has been sending it to DC customers for some time.

Hmm I see your not a pub member either.So how would you know that?:D

And its not about upgrading already have top 250

Channels I was hoping to see added
espnu hd
the fight network
smithsonian
tcm hd
chiller hd
distant locals in hd

Oh and the regional version of the weather channel

For regional weather channels I have 3 of them available OTA(over the air) with an outdoor TV antenna.:)

For those wanting your local channels in HD?.My first question would be have you considered checking out OTA?.I have found out in my area the local channels that are not in HD on Dish Network,are available in HD OTA.:)

For those wanting to check out the local channels in their area check your address at AntennaWeb or TV Fool .;)

Last edited:
Hmm I see your not a pub member either.So how would you know that?:D

And its not about upgrading already have top 250

Channels I was hoping to see added
espnu hd
the fight network
smithsonian
tcm hd
chiller hd
distant locals in hd

Oh and the regional version of the weather channel

+1 plus the disney and epsn hd channels back and love to have monsters hd and rave back but know were not going to gte rave an dmonsters back :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)