Any new hd channel additions coming soon?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
NatGeiWild-HD, TCM-HD & the brand new 24/7 Disney Junior-HD would be nice. It would also be nice if us west coast folks could have Disney Channel West in HD.

I don’t know why DTV would waste bandwidth by providing local HD stations while these same stations are already being broadcasted in HD over-the-air (OTA). DTV should have simply provided a mechanism to merge these OTA-HD signals into its receiver instead of re-broadcasting them from the satellite (wasteful redundancy). It’s just wasting valuable transpondent slots and satellite bandwidth that could have been used to provide more HD channels in CONUS.

I don’t know why DTV would waste bandwidth by providing local HD stations while these same stations are already being broadcasted in HD over-the-air (OTA). DTV should have simply provided a mechanism to merge these OTA-HD signals into its receiver instead of re-broadcasting them from the satellite (wasteful redundancy).
That ship sailed with the introduction of the H21. Right or wrong, they can't go back now.
It’s just wasting valuable transpondent slots and satellite bandwidth that could have been used to provide more HD channels in CONUS.
You seem to be missing the fact that CONUS and spot beam are not interchangeable. Spot beam frequencies are used many times over the breadth of the CONUS coverage area so they cannot be used CONUS.

The other issue is that many DBS customers don't have reliable access to OTA signals and DIRECTV can't very well blot out coverage where OTA signals are available and replace them with something else (unless they wanted to put in their own terrestrial broadcast stations like SiriusXM does).

cj_views said:
I don?t know why DTV would waste bandwidth by providing local HD stations while these same stations are already being broadcasted in HD over-the-air (OTA). DTV should have simply provided a mechanism to merge these OTA-HD signals into its receiver instead of re-broadcasting them from the satellite (wasteful redundancy). It?s just wasting valuable transpondent slots and satellite bandwidth that could have been used to provide more HD channels in CONUS.

Without my hd locals on Direct, I don't get mine.
People think all you need to do is put up an antenna and you pickup your locals. Sorry, it doesn't work that way for everyone.

I don’t know why DTV would waste bandwidth by providing local HD stations while these same stations are already being broadcasted in HD over-the-air (OTA). DTV should have simply provided a mechanism to merge these OTA-HD signals into its receiver instead of re-broadcasting them from the satellite (wasteful redundancy). It’s just wasting valuable transpondent slots and satellite bandwidth that could have been used to provide more HD channels in CONUS.

Is this a joke? Did you really think about what you typed before you hit Post?

Yeah, I could see it now. "Ma'am, where do you want this 30 foot pole and huge OTA rig at?" The soccer moms flip out of the size dish they put already. And not to mention the many areas where OTA just doesn't work well due to a terrain blockage between them and the tower.

The same thing should hold for you saying this about the cable company too. If they did away with all the locals they could carry a ton of HD national channels. They should just put up an antenna on everyone's house. That would be awesome!

because I'm sure those markets where either there are nets missing or are too far away those folks would LOVE that....yep hook up an antenna to get 1 OTA station in the market or get satellite and get all 4 nets

Bet you regret posting this now. :D

because I'm sure those markets where either there are nets missing or are too far away those folks would LOVE that....yep hook up an antenna to get 1 OTA station in the market or get satellite and get all 4 nets

Many here seem to have this notion that without the local channel provisioning (provided through spot beam) they will be denied access to the 4-6 nationally broadcasted network channels using OTA alone. This is simply not the case. Directv has provided a provisioning for any subscribers that are unable to receive Network Broadcast can nevertheless subscribe to any of these network broadcasted channels. The only caveat to this is that they will not see their “local” news broadcast. Well, so what!

Directv:

“Channels 389-399: DNS Locals These are only authorized for subscribers who cannot receive ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CW, or PBS stations locally (although subscribers within the local market area of any of these receive them both on the local channel number and on the 389-399 series channel number). ‘

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)