Any news on Dish Network carrying 3-D yet?

Muckrak3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Texas
Just curious. I just picked up the adapter for my Mitsubishi tv, so I am now fully 3-D the tv side. Now the PS3 does 3-D gaming, and next month it will do 3-D blu-rays. Only thing missing will be ESPN 3-D. Wonder if I will have to make the dirty switch to Direct?

Dirty Switch, I have been with direct for a month now and havent regretted it one bit. Much better than dish on multiple levels. The 3D on directv is one word, Awsome! Most content is very good. There are some HD transfers that just suck, but the majority of it is really good! As far as ESPN3D on dish, dont count on it!

Having trouble finding the posts, but I know that they talked 3d tv at several recent conferences. Scott G. also posted they will have 3d this year, and may be the first to have Discovery 3d when it launches.

Dirty Switch, I have been with direct for a month now and havent regretted it one bit. Much better than dish on multiple levels. The 3D on directv is one word, Awsome! Most content is very good. There are some HD transfers that just suck, but the majority of it is really good! As far as ESPN3D on dish, dont count on it!
most people think 3D technology is just so-so for the moment..I would wait it out

Bob- What brand 3D monitor did you get for your DirecTV 3D system? My wife and I have plans to get into 3D next year when more content is being released. We have room to mount a 55" thin screen like the Samsung behind our roll down PJ screen.

Having trouble finding the posts, but I know that they talked 3d tv at several recent conferences. Scott G. also posted they will have 3d this year, and may be the first to have Discovery 3d when it launches.

See, I would love some links for this information as I am unable to locate any. My setup is 3-D ready, except for the Dish receiver. Since D already has 3-D, I may end up moving that direction. (don't care about the opinion of "3-d is a fad" etc)

Here and there are others, courtesy of Google.

Wow! Thanks for the info! Unreal what you can find on the Internets when you search!!!!

By the way - one of the main sections of that article you linked is titled:

"ESPN 3D Coming in June!"

Thanks for nothing Mr. courtesy of Google.

Yep, I noticed that too.

OP - chill. It's just encouragement that they are in fact working on it. With very little content today, nothing to get worked up over. In any event, I love the "internets" part. I'll be laughing over that political blunder on my deathbed. Glad I'm not the only one with that firmly in their memory.

Navy - I'm nice and chill. Most of the forums I frequent are loaded with 'Look at the magic I created while searching on Google' type folks. As if asking any question ever was an insult since Google was launched. I did search. This site, Dish's site, Google, Bing, etc.

All I ever come up with is how D* had 3-d back when the world cup was going on, and Dish... no new news. It's annoying to say the least.

I am hearing we could see 3D at the end of September on DISH. :) (Just a RUMOR of course!)

Which if true is great as I picked up a Panasonic 50 Inch Plasma 3DTV today from Best Buy. :D :D

That's awesome news Scott! I have a 3D (1.4 HDMI) receiver, and a 3D TV, and a PS3. Dish going 3D will complete the package!

Ah, the inevitable disappointment.

90% of 3D being "converted" 2D. 10% being genuine 3D, half of it done well. On 2% of all available content.

And then Bob starts complaining. Even though he doesn't have 3D. Or Dish. Or even HD. ;) ;) ;)

:haha I've GOT to laugh. I think it's a niche product, of little practical use. And yet I find myself thinking all my future purchases should support it, just in case! :haha

90% of 3D being "converted" 2D. 10% being genuine 3D, half of it done well. On 2% of all available content.

And there was a time that HD was 90% upconverted SD with 10% being genuine HDTV, but then it was really 1080i x 1440 HDCAM, that some here referred to as HD lite. That "time" back then lasted for about 4-5 years as we slowly developed near 100% HDTV. Some will say thank God for HDNET but HDNET was mostly HDCAM or 1080i x 1440 that everyone was complaining about even though back then nobody had a monitor capable of resolving higher than 1440 H pixels anyway. Those were the days and now we are forced to relive history with 3D, hopefully in 1/4 the time.

Congratulations, Scott on the new 3D monitor and 3d Blue Ray player for your 2 or 4 3D movies. I know you and family will enjoy the 3D. I still plan on waiting until mid 2011 before pulling the trigger on this new technology. At my age I can't afford to be spending on an emerging technology and I would like to see what evolves as standards yet. I suspect someone will win the glasses format war before we ever see glasses-less 3D. Besides, I'm not real excited at having to downgrade my HT PJ screen size from 120" to 55" diagonal. I'm really hoping for a 3d projector at reasonable prices.

I hope they get ESPN 3D before the college football season is over. I wonder what the minimum programming required for 3D is.

Bob- What brand 3D monitor did you get for your DirecTV 3D system? My wife and I have plans to get into 3D next year when more content is being released. We have room to mount a 55" thin screen like the Samsung behind our roll down PJ screen.

Don, I have had a Mitsubishi, bought it when 3d was first offered a few years ago. I just had the box sent to me for it from Mitsubishi.

Last edited:
I hope they hurry up as well, just got the 3D Bluray player hooked up and am impressed with the 3D and PQ.

I am actually surprised with Cloudy with a chance of meatballs how good it looks. The 3D looks better on my TV then I remember it when I saw it in the theaters. The Bluray 3D logo looks really good popping right out of the set like the 3D I remember as a kid.