Any notice to the 1st 12 markets yet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No news in Detroit

I read in the forum's that Detroit was the test market city, Well I live in Detroit and have been a customer since 1994 and I have no info from Directv

Barneypoo69 said:
When I stated that the uplink stations (which only got half of the order of the MPEG4 decoders) haven't even got the testing/results right at this point, here is a copy of an engineer that is working on the MPEG4 decoders:

One of the IPTV labs I visit regularly has 48 of those encoders. They are running full-bore, balls-to-the-wall, to the point of overheating regularly and still can only produce fully realized HD signal at about 14Mbps. The service providers need to get it down to about 8 or 9Mbps to meet the quality requirements expected by the future providers of IPTV. The satellite community needs a lower bitrate to remain competitive with the bandwidth they have for their customers. However, if the satellite content providers want to offer full quality HD signals, they need to allow for at least 14Mbps per channel, even with the newest MPEG-4 encoders. This will improve with the development of more advance encoder chips from Tandberg and others.

Gang its going to be longer than the rumors are.........even when they launch Spaceway2...........they need a signal to broadcast......
Prove me wrong........please.......looks like sometime maybe next year & thats the 1st 12 markets.....

Barney

14MBPS should be fine for MPEG 4, and then some...

LIL and MPEG4

Are LIL HD and Mpeg4 in-seperatable?
They do have one sat up designated to LIL HD, do they have to wait for Mpeg4 to start testing the local spot beams?

Skyboss said:
14MBPS should be fine for MPEG 4, and then some...

I'm not an engineer, but the engineer says they need to get it down to around 9Mbps with MPEG4 for it to become possible & be able to offer expansion of more programming. He also has stated that a major phone company in San Antonio is using the same MPEG4 decoders & are working 24/7 to even the point of the decoders overheating, trying to get the bandwith down, so they can offer, VOD, high-speed internet, & lots of HD programming, without video loss..........engineers are saying its going to be at least another year yet..........

Barney

I have a feeling the signal off Spaceway 1 is not working with the hardware/software for the H20 and they are franticly trying to get it to work properly. I dont have any real facts, just a hunch.

Has anyone heard anything about D*'s uplink location? Do they have their full order of MPEG4 decoders & they are "ready" & just waiting on Spaceway2 to be "in location"?
So D* has Spaceway1 up there....MPEG4 off it is working as planned?.......any updates?

Barney

I would sure like to get the new dish and get it installed before winter arrives. Putting one up now when it is 70 degrees out is better than -20 degrees in January :)

colofan said:
I would sure like to get the new dish and get it installed before winter arrives. Putting one up now when it is 70 degrees out is better than -20 degrees in January :)

Have no fear, but it will be the installer out there, not you.

Well, the wife hit me up about some channels she is missing, along with my son. I already know the channels I miss now that College Fottball is going on...........but the wife still says, wait till next year (I agree).
So, no one has heard anything about the new HD-DVR's, HD-STB's w/MPEG4? Something (besides Spaceway2 not being up there) isn't happening. Somehow, thousands of these STB's just show up?
Sorry, time just seems to be standing still for this "update" & reading on this forum how the HD channels are getting worse with PQ ( I can't verify).
By the way, D* sent me a check for $0.94, my credit on my account.........I wished they would get going & take care of the 1st group...........cause, alot of us are down the list!

Barney

Barneypoo69 said:
Well, the wife hit me up about some channels she is missing, along with my son. I already know the channels I miss now that College Fottball is going on...........but the wife still says, wait till next year (I agree).
So, no one has heard anything about the new HD-DVR's, HD-STB's w/MPEG4? Something (besides Spaceway2 not being up there) isn't happening. Somehow, thousands of these STB's just show up?
Sorry, time just seems to be standing still for this "update" & reading on this forum how the HD channels are getting worse with PQ ( I can't verify).
By the way, D* sent me a check for $0.94, my credit on my account.........I wished they would get going & take care of the 1st group...........cause, alot of us are down the list!

Barney

I am unsure as to why you keep complaining about how long it is taking
for D* to roll out the new boxes, etc, when you know that it is all dependent
on Spaceway 2 going up. The fact that it isn't up already isn't D*'s fault in
any way, shape, or form, so.....kwityurbitch'!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Chip

Barneypoo69 said:

Barney

You continue to answer your own question which has been answered 1000 times before. There will more than likely be NO NEWS until AFTER SPACEWAY2 is launched (now listed as 10/27/2005) and operating (maybe 30 - 60 days later). This does not mean that even after the launch, that they may not have delayed the roll out even further, because the fact remains this was never officially released by DirecTV as etched in stone upgrade dates.

So posting every week that there is no news is no big surprize to anyone but you it seems. When the launch was delayed everyone else saw that the roll out and any press releases would also be delayed. Its time to give it a rest and pick it back up AFTER we see the new bird in the sky. This isn't as easy as flying a kite!

charper1 said:
You continue to answer your own question which has been answered 1000 times before. There will more than likely be NO NEWS until AFTER SPACEWAY2 is launched (now listed as 10/27/2005) and operating (maybe 30 - 60 days later). This does not mean that even after the launch, that they may not have delayed the roll out even further, because the fact remains this was never officially released by DirecTV as etched in stone upgrade dates.

So posting every week that there is no news is no big surprize to anyone but you it seems. When the launch was delayed everyone else saw that the roll out and any press releases would also be delayed. Its time to give it a rest and pick it back up AFTER we see the new bird in the sky. This isn't as easy as flying a kite!

If I offend ya'll, sorry. My thoughts though, Spaceway1 is up (tested-its a go?), D* shouldn't wait until the launch of Spaceway2 to begin the manufacture/testing of STB's. Very tight security I guess.

Barney

You are not offending anyone, just redundantly asking about something that can't be answered yet because the design is a multi-part system and if one or more of those parts has yet to be installed on the provider side, then there isn't going to be any headway or official news/answers on the end user side; including those test groups outside of the DirecTV engineering & design labs. Anything else would just be more of the same speculations like before which is what has everyone's pantys in such a bunch now that there have been launch delays.

Also, just because we as end users haven't seen or touched a new box, does not mean that DirecTV and their suppliers haven't either, but it VERY EASY (and understandable) for DirecTV to be very tight lipped about its new hardware and subsequent release dates.

Okay,
This week Detroit should be updating, according to a "rumor". Is this because Spaceway1 is up there & is it just to cover the "east" feed? Then we wait on the launch of S2 the 1st of Nov?

Barney

By the end of next week DIRECTV will very slowly begin upgrading existing HD customers.

My company will be installing new customers with the MPEG-2/4 H20 and 5 LNB Plus dish in the Detroit DMA.

I expect we will be shipping and installing the next 11 DMAs on or about November 9.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts