Any notice to the 1st 12 markets yet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, here its mid July.......nothing. A friend living in Houston has been calling about the "upgrade" CSR's haven't a clue about what MPEG4 is. A friend in Dallas is doing the same........nothing. No mention about the "new" MPEG4 STB's.........HD-DVR's, HD-STB's........etc. None of the local D* installers that they have contacted haven't a clue.........
To update almost 30% of D*'s HD customers..........with installers not trained, no one has any equipment (forget training on installing the new STB's)...............the half order of the MPEG4 decoders wasn't until mid-year (for a North American Co)...........
Has anyone in the other 10 markets heard anything?

Barney :no

It was noted a while back that there would probably be no announcement until sometime AFTER Spaceway-2 goes up on or after 07/28/2005 and that is still 13 days away.

The Fat Lady's not even in the dressing room!

charper1 said:
It was noted a while back that there would probably be no announcement until sometime AFTER Spaceway-2 goes up on or after 07/28/2005 and that is still 13 days away.

I don't know about you guys, but I quit holding my breath after the 2nd reschedule of the launch... I guess it will happen when it happens.

Honestly I don't think I want any thing to do with the first batch of stb's that are made for MPG4 untill I hear about their performance, so I'll be one of the old MPG2 holdouts as long as possible. (Unless they have a sweet deal to upgrade to the HD DVR, of course... ;) )

cr0mag said:
I don't know about you guys, but I quit holding my breath after the 2nd reschedule of the launch... I guess it will happen when it happens.

Honestly I don't think I want any thing to do with the first batch of stb's that are made for MPG4 untill I hear about their performance, so I'll be one of the old MPG2 holdouts as long as possible. (Unless they have a sweet deal to upgrade to the HD DVR, of course... ;) )

Thats one of the good things for me (being farther down the line). To see/read what the 1st group has to say about the new STB's.
But I don't think that it'll start in 13 days or month or even more.
I have a feeling that their uplink isn't even near ready....and hints are 8 months..........but like you state....it'll happen when it happens.....

Barney

People said I didn't know what I was taking about when I said that it would be august at the earliest before spaceway 1 was ready to be used. Guess what? It is still being tested. The good news is that I have seen the mpeg4 HD STB and 5 lnb dishes. We will hear something around 8/1.

cr0mag said:
Honestly I don't think I want any thing to do with the first batch of stb's that are made for MPG4 untill I hear about their performance, so I'll be one of the old MPG2 holdouts as long as possible.
Yep. And there's no way in hell they're getting a 2-year commitment from me until I hear about the HD PQ.

When I stated that the uplink stations (which only got half of the order of the MPEG4 decoders) haven't even got the testing/results right at this point, here is a copy of an engineer that is working on the MPEG4 decoders:

One of the IPTV labs I visit regularly has 48 of those encoders. They are running full-bore, balls-to-the-wall, to the point of overheating regularly and still can only produce fully realized HD signal at about 14Mbps. The service providers need to get it down to about 8 or 9Mbps to meet the quality requirements expected by the future providers of IPTV. The satellite community needs a lower bitrate to remain competitive with the bandwidth they have for their customers. However, if the satellite content providers want to offer full quality HD signals, they need to allow for at least 14Mbps per channel, even with the newest MPEG-4 encoders. This will improve with the development of more advance encoder chips from Tandberg and others.

Gang its going to be longer than the rumors are.........even when they launch Spaceway2...........they need a signal to broadcast......
Prove me wrong........please.......looks like sometime maybe next year & thats the 1st 12 markets.....

Barney

I'm in the "first 12" (Philly) but haven't heard a word yet. I'm starting to wonder if the rollout has been pushed back.

Anyone else have news?

So the delay of Spaceway2 is the only "push back"? Installers are ready with the 2'x3' Dish w/5LNB's, MPEG4 HD-STB's, MPEG4 HD-DVR's are ready? D*'s uplink is ready to send MPEG4? The HMC "is" to be out at the end of the year 2005?
It looks like alot of "push backs". Wonder what "Plan B" is?
I want my D* back on....but I guess I have to wait till next football season. :no

Barney

Barneypoo69 said:
So the delay of Spaceway2 is the only "push back"? Installers are ready with the 2'x3' Dish w/5LNB's, MPEG4 HD-STB's, MPEG4 HD-DVR's are ready? D*'s uplink is ready to send MPEG4? The HMC "is" to be out at the end of the year 2005?
It looks like alot of "push backs". Wonder what "Plan B" is?
I want my D* back on....but I guess I have to wait till next football season. :no

Barney

I think the delays are very extensive and intertwined with all aspects of this rollout. I think its the reason why you can get an HD Tivo for $199 and why installs are pushed back by a month. I was able to get mine pushed up to 2 weeks but that was problably due to a cancel.

I think we really wont see anything truely put together until 2006 hence the lack of communication from D*. If I am wrong, I will be pleasantly surprised and happy so I am not wishing for significant delays but I just dont think this rollout is going very well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts