Any notice to the 1st 12 markets yet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LonghornXP said:
Both component and HDMI connections will support 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i and both connections will have full screen scaling for all formats and for both 4x3 and 16x9 sets. Full screen scaling is what I refer to various zoom modes so non HD channels fill the screen.

Any word if there will be auto native resolution?

LonghornXP said:
Also all new customers that signup for HD in about a month or so would get the new dish and an MPEG4 basic HD box as a rental from the start so I wouldn't expect D* to have more than 650,000 total HD customers that would need upgrading.

Does this mean that I am correct in waiting till the end of the voom rebate (6-30) to sign up?

Kentstater72 said:
Does this mean that I am correct in waiting till the end of the voom rebate (6-30) to sign up?

If your not a current D* subscriber right now as I would guess than yes you should wait so they install the new dish. I'm hearing that the basic MPEG4 HD box will be available within a few months so I would wait until that time. Either way if you don't mind waiting for the new boxes they can still install the new dish in a month or so.

If you want things simple and to get the best offer or at least get the same offer as an existing sub I would wait until they release the HMS by years end and have everything done at that time. It all depends on what "you" are willing todo and how many visits you are willing to schedule to get all of this done for just two maybe three months difference on time.

EEJay said:
Any thoughts as to what will happen for previous HD package subscribers? I cancelled my HD package two months ago because the content was absolutely not worth the price. I still have two HD STBs, so if I re-subscribe when they add channels, will they swap out my Samsung boxes?

I haven't heard of any requirement that a customer must have the HD Pak or locals package to get upgraded. Now what I have heard is that all HD customers when they are upgraded regardless of where they live will need to agree to either the locals package for one year or the HD package for one year to get a free replacement. You don't have to order either now but once you get the upgrade you will need to order one or the other. Just so you know you don't have to get both and if you have always ordered the locals package you won't have anything to worry about. If you don't order the locals package but will always plan to keep the HD package you too will have nothing to worry about.

Just to make this clear I'll post below.

To get a free replacement your only requirement will be this below.

1.) Agree to one year of any total choice package "WITH" local channels.
2.) Agree to one year of any total choice package "WITHOUT" local channels "AND" the HD Package.

Hope this sums it up.

From what I have read you must have them do the upgrade... However I am sure soon you will be able to get the equiptment through valueelectronics and other online places.

all4jo said:
for the upgrade , would i be able to install the new dish myself? or would a installer need to do it?
thanks.

If your a current customer you have to let D* install it for you if you want it free or you can pay full price for the dish itself and install it yourself.

Now when it comes to getting your hardware replaced free of charge it will have to be under D* terms and most likely would require an install to come out and hook your new one up and take the old back or they would require you to mail in your old box with the box the replacement came in. They would provide a free shipping label and would require a credit card on file in case you don't return the hardware with the next week or so.

Now if your a new customer you can get everything via Value Electronics but again if your a returning customer with an HD box that you want replaced you would have to deal with D* not Value Electronics. The above is current as of now but as always Value Electronics and other retailers could be involved on doing these replacements but I wouldn't count on it. Also when they start renting the hardware I wouldn't be suprised if Value Electronics would only be involved in selling the hardware not renting it. Now VE might allow a new customer to order a new HD box as a rental while selling your other boxes like an SD DVR and such.

Sadly to say I see retailers such as VE being hurt because of D* renting hardware and I hope that D* does something to allow VE and others to compete for new customers.

I thought that June was the target month for answers? Maybe Robert can let something "SLIP OUT" as a hint. Dearlers/Owners HAVE to know something; throw us a bone.

Nothing from market #1 yet, althought whether us, LA (#2), or #3 go first is anyone's guess

Is there any reason why D* cant begin these installs before testing is fully done on the sats. If the dish and receiver is done why cant they broadcast a message on the extra sats the dish picks up so the installer knows it is hooked up correctly. That way when they are done testing your ready to go.

minorthr said:
Is there any reason why D* cant begin these installs before testing is fully done on the sats. If the dish and receiver is done why cant they broadcast a message on the extra sats the dish picks up so the installer knows it is hooked up correctly. That way when they are done testing your ready to go.

For one customers have to be notified and us calling them won't work and secondly installers have to be trained on how to install this new dish. Also even though most warehouses have the new dish that doesn't mean all areas have them or that even the areas that do have them might not have enough of them.

My advice is give this time and just wait for another month or so.

Miami-Ft Lauderdale

Anyone have any idea about timing for Miami-Ft Lauderdale?

No one has ANY timelines for ANYTHING past saying the top 12 DMAs will be first. It also says nothing about what will happen for people in white areas.

Here is the current DMA rankings list. http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html but it really will not tell you anything past your current rank of #17.

You SHOULD be in the 2nd rollout group, but that could be 6 months, 3months, or 3 weeks after the first group rollout.

We all just have to wait until DirecTV makes an official announcement and HOPE that it includes a rollout schedule for most if not all of the DMAs.

I'm curious does this mean that D* could in theory have enough bandwidth to transmit all 210 DMA's in standard definition, when all the sats are up? I know all the uplink centers aren't out, but I am just wondering is the possiblity there. I would love to see cable finally have a true competitor.

The successful lauch of DirecTV8 today, & the updates should start to happen in June/July for the 1st group..........no one has any info yet? The beta testers are being real quite.........just in 2 months, new HD-DVR's and HD-STB's.........?

Barney

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)