Any Recommendations?

cpapjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Getzville, NY
I have a 36" Toshiba Flat Screen (not flat panel) HDTV monitor TV. I was originally under the assumption that the converter boxes that you can get the coupons for had HD outputs, but that is not the case. So I'm looking to get a decent HDTV Tuner with an antenna to get my local HDTV channels.

So does anyone have any good recommendations on what brand of OTA HDTV Tuner to get? I'm not looking to spend alot of money.

Thanks.

If your budget is low, I recommend used Hi-def satellite receivers with ATSC tuners. Most of the time, that's your best bet. One example is the Samsung SIR-TS160. If you can get yourself the right satellite receiver, and it's owned and not leased, you can subscribe to services later on down the road.

If your budget is low, I recommend used Hi-def satellite receivers with ATSC tuners. Most of the time, that's your best bet.

How would that work exactly? I'm not sure I understand how I could use a satellite receiver without having the satellite programming. I currently have a 522 DVR receiver in my family room where I want to connect the HD tuner.

Thanks in advance.

Some of the HD satellite receivers have a built-in ATSC over the air tuner. Some of them need prior authorization to operate. Just Google the example I gave you. You'll see. :)

14068. Why do you ask?

You asked for an OTA antenna recomendation. Can you install an outdoor antenna? Do you live in an apartment? What floor? Do you have clear line-of-sight to the broadcast towers you want to receive? Are there buidings, hills, etc. in the way?

I assume that you live in a house since you're going to or already have installed a dish for satellite reception. From where the dish is, can you see over the peak on the roof to the towers?

You asked for an OTA antenna recomendation. Can you install an outdoor antenna? Do you live in an apartment? What floor? Do you have clear line-of-sight to the broadcast towers you want to receive? Are there buidings, hills, etc. in the way?

I assume that you live in a house since you're going to or already have installed a dish for satellite reception. From where the dish is, can you see over the peak on the roof to the towers?

No. I'm asking for a OTA HDTV Tuner recommendation. Not antenna. I live in a house and reception/signal won't be an issue where I'm at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)