Any Shaw Direct Brokers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NGeorge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Olympia, WA
I'm curious if anyone knows of any Shaw Direct brokers? All the links I've been able to suss out seem to have went dead a few years ago after their big satellite switch - - although I'm still in range of everything.

The one I had quit communicating with me and mine got shut down because I had no one to take care of account. I did without till I got Orby. I do not like how dish and att make you have to pay for each tv so have decided I do not need satelite tv except for fta satelite and fta with ota tv and friendly tv from the internet.

Anyone considering Shaw Direct in the US should read the following bulleting.

https://www.shawbroadcast.com/Documents/2021/mar/8/Relocation of Signals.pdf

Currently only one of their satellites (Anik F2) covers the entire US and that satellite is nearing its end-of-life. Shaw is currently moving channels from to their newest satellite, Anik G1, that covers only the most northerly portions of the US.

Way better and cheaper to get an android tv box and IPTV. You can get channels from Canada, US and the UK as well as movies and tv series for $15 a mth.
hi showtime will this canada android box work in los angeles after all the shaw stations get shout down downhere and whow do i buy it from does Kusat sell it thats who i bought shaw from Evan Hale in Pl,aya Del Rey California

Reactions: showtime
Thanks for posting this information. The channels listed as transitioning do not represent all the channels currently being transmitted on F2, so F2 is apparently not being completely abandoned. Yet...

hi showtime will this canada android box work in los angeles after all the shaw stations get shout down downhere and whow do i buy it from does Kusat sell it thats who i bought shaw from Evan Hale in Pl,aya Del Rey California
Yes it will work any where you have a good internet connection. Give me a PM.

Also F2 still has maybe 5 to 8 years of life yet they tell us and chances of the replacement reaching south is pretty slim. :(

Reactions: ArmyBrat
Yes it will work any where you have a good internet connection. Give me a PM.

Also F2 still has maybe 5 to 8 years of life yet they tell us and chances of the replacement reaching south is pretty slim. :(
I wonder if Bell's satellites reach that far south?

If not, it wouldn't surprise me if Bell has run off crying to the CRTC that Shaw isn't fighting piracy because their satellites still cover the southern US.

If not, it wouldn't surprise me if Bell has run off crying to the CRTC that Shaw isn't fighting piracy because their satellites still cover the southern US.
"Piracy" suggests that viewers in the Southern Provinces aren't paying for the service. That typically isn't the case.

The weapon would be to tell the content providers that your competition is violating their content licensing.

"Piracy" suggests that viewers in the Southern Provinces aren't paying for the service. That typically isn't the case.

The weapon would be to tell the content providers that your competition is violating their content licensing.
That was somewhat of an "inside" comment related to what Videotron did to Bell around 16 years ago. Sued them for not protecting their (Bell's) digital signal from piracy. Bell turned around later and accused Netflix of "piracy" for not locking up their system so Canadian's couldn't log in to the US Menu using a VPN. She only used the "P" word a couple of times before mellowing into the more common word "thieves". But, Bell is well versed at tossing the word around against any of it's competitors and/or people that try to get around their despicable marketing/licensing/monopolizing practices.

Ultimately, Bell ended up resorting to reporting licensing violations to the copyright/license holders because the US Menu on Netflix was not licensed for the Canadian market. (Or the UK, NL, German and Australian markets that were also using VPN's for the same purpose. But Bell didn't give a tinkers damn about them. Only about the "potential Canadian customers" they'd pick up if they managed to screw over Netflix. The also started screaming "The Sky Is Falling" about Amazon Prime coming into Canada. Bell doesn't really understand the words "free market" and "fair competition". They grew up operating a monopoly and they've never really gotten away from that line of thinking.

Just to be extremely clear on the matter, I HATE BELL WITH A PASSION. Their scammy and scummy marketing practices know no bounds. They own exclusive licensing for HBO in Canada and have for several years. You want HBO? You're paying Bell for it one way or another.

Oh.... back on topic, no, I don't think the majority in the Southern Provinces are not paying for service. But I do think that when Shaw cuts all their channels over to the new birds, the condensed footprint of the new birds will probably leave anyone south of the Mason-Dixon line without reception.

Unfortunately, when that happens, about the only option that will be "available" will probably be illegal ones. Streaming from Canada one way or another.
(That's just an observation on my part. I'm not suggesting people do it. But hey, when you truly need something, and all "legal" means of getting it are removed from your list of "options".... who ya' gonna call?)

But I do think that when Shaw cuts all their channels over to the new birds, the condensed footprint of the new birds will probably leave anyone south of the Mason-Dixon line without reception.
It should go a little south of that on the East Coast but the Left Coast will be cinched way up. They'll certainly vex the snowbirds from here on out.

When asking a Shaw representative in their chat about F2 replacement date he said "I know it is very soon, the change is set during this summer period, but we don't have an exact date yet unfortunately."
Anik F2 was launched on July 17th, 2004.
I thought satellite lifespan was 15 years.

When asking a Shaw representative in their chat about F2 replacement date he said "I know it is very soon, the change is set during this summer period, but we don't have an exact date yet unfortunately."
With the transition to MPEG4, the second satellite may not be all that important. What is important is that when Anik F2 goes away, it seems likely that so will reliable service significantly south of the 49th parallel go with it.
Anik F2 was launched on July 17th, 2004.
I thought satellite lifespan was 15 years.
The projected lifespan is an average that includes premature failures. The batteries or the solar panels aren't going to give out on a date certain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)