Any word on 4play or contact info?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lonewolf454

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Georgia, US
I need to contact either the 4play programmer or someone that has used 4play in the past. Have questions that I need to ask, if anyone has info PM me or in WUT.

4play

This is the guy that sold 4play removed page from site. You can ask him. Need it after Dec 10 but do not expect it. there is a old copy on this forum if you look around. COOL.STF

:confused:

I need to contact either the 4play programmer or someone that has used 4play in the past. Have questions that I need to ask, if anyone has info PM me or in WUT.

I wouldn't use third party software unless they will guarantee that it won't brick my 4D. But, I might consider giving it a try if the 4D becomes useless after the end of the year since I wouldn't have much to lose then.

Good idea lone wolf because I was wondering too where I can get that software because since the maps won't be loaded anymore by Motorola I'll need it to keep watching the free dc2 stuff.I'm not gonna subscribe to one measly sat and not be able to watch the rest.I need my denver 8 pack and things like that.Right now I already let my sub run out right now we're fta only since the end of august.I also would like to know what kind of computer you need to run 4 play because actually I tried to get a used computer because I still have games like tomb raider 2 and Soda offroad racing those are win 95 games I have a lot of those so I wanted to get an old Pentium mmx pc but no luck.I had one back in 1997 it was an Acer aspire tower with Pentium mmx at 200mhz those are the best processor ever built because the mmx means that it has a better floating point unit that can calculate better for games like first person shooters.But I can't find one anymore I guess people owned these till scrapes and burned them all a long time ago.I even was inthe Netherlands a few weeks ago try too look there too but nothing.

I'm not gonna subscribe to one measly sat and not be able to watch the rest.I need my denver 8 pack and things like that.Right now I already let my sub run out right now we're fta only since the end of august.

They're not going to give us more service if no one renews their sub. They're going to want to know if it's worthwhile for them to continue servicing us. They're not going to take our word that we'll subscribe if they offer what they're offering now or in the future.

Time is drawing near, after the 28th of this month my subs run out and thats it. I also quit taking updates and hits now. I have some very old maps still in my 922 with X4 and also have AI. Right now I'm set for FTA but if something happened and I had to do a MR I would be screwed.

Rod Hewitt is the guy who made 4 play originally. I used to listen to him on TVRO radio shows years ago. This guy knows his stuff. I hope we come up with some answers soon.

This is the guy that sold 4play removed page from site. You can ask him. Need it after Dec 10 but do not expect it. there is a old copy on this forum if you look around. COOL.STF

:confused:

I will try to contact Mr. Hewitt for update and or pointers on 4play output. I already have the old version of 4play, but do not have a way to connect it to the IRD. I never used it back when it was supported, so I am unsure of a few items. Why do you say Dec 10, is that when your sub runs out?

To Danny:

I think you are missing point of what 4play was supposed to do, it was to update the motorola maps with channels you could add in yourself, think m-choice, dmx, viacom mux, etc. It could be used to add missing channels, but if you don't have the sub keys, you are only going to get "Channel Not Available" unless it goes zk/u. You would not have to use the generics. 4play is not going to "open" any encrypted channels without sub and that is not what I am talking about.

We need to get to work on uploading maps-now!

We need to continue to sub to 4dtv programming (Iam) until end of year and skyvision/srl thereafter or all support will end. There are still >10,000 subs.

There are still >10,000 subs.

And NPS is killing more daily. Have you talked to them lately? lies lies and more lies to force you into Charlievision.

I hope Rod will work with us so we can get a winning hand going with channel maps. Maybe we should just do some dumpster diving behind the ACC in January and get there old 486 that ran the show :eek: :D

I don't receive jack from NPS- and they don't receive jack ($) from me either, they are soon to be gone anyhow. (dead horse)

If San Diego wasn't 2200 miles from the house I probably would have been dumpster diving already;)

Can anyone get their hands on the source code for 4play? If it's open source, then someone can develop it further and port it to other platforms. But, it would be better if Motorola gave us a way to do this so no one risks bricking their 4D with 4play.

Its a shame that GI never released the software upgrade that would have allowed us to enter info in like a FTA box. That would solve everything. You can do some manual entry but it won't show a picture even though it will tune and lock.

Has anyone dug deeper into enter in options 67798 screen that takes you into the 922's memory?

Yes I know that it won't let me watch the encrypted stuff but I don't care.I'm talking about the free dc2 stuff because after dec 31 Motorola won't load the maps anymore so we'll continue to see the free dc 2 channels only while they have the same parameters.If they change like one symbol rate we're toast.That's why I want the 4play software.I said I'm not gonna sub because there is lo of free stuff on C band enough to sit and watch tv for hours.Right now I don't have a sub but I stilll have he same problem.Everybody constantly watching tv and burning out my rear projection bulb.So THERE IS ENOUGH TO WATCH ALREADY.So now tell me why I,ve got to subscribe?

I think nobody has 4 play and nobody can put this to work.There is no way to connect a computer of any kind to the receiver because the connectors on the back of receiver are strange connectors.I guess they are meant for GI or MOtorola only to connect stuff to it.I remember way back then it was 1997 or 1998 when the 4dtv receivers first came out they said that these connectors are there to connect a device that let you view HDTV in the future.YES GI was the only one that was prepared for HDTV in 1998.That's why I say these receivers are not old technology they were ahead of their time.But they are meant to connect to a hdtv box or dvr box or something.BUt satly they didn't built anything to connect to these things because of the lack of subs.But the 4dtv sure has a way for expansion.I read here on this forum about something like Genpix skywalker that will run DC2 on a computer.Maybe somebody can explain to me what that is if it is what I think it is then I'll buy it so I can watch my free dc2 channels

Well, my friend, you are mistaken on a few points. Many have 4play. It is an old program that was actually written for older versions of windows, and even looks for the interface (aka wiggler) to be connected via LPT, or pre-usb printer port. It is somewhat useful to peek at the output of NVRAM and allows it to dump to txt file.

The connectors on back of ird are for HD box connection, MMAP high speed port, which is used for Motorola/GI High def decoder box HDD200, which I also have. There isnt much support for HD on our outdated platform, and they will only sell us WealthTV and Discovery HDTheatre in HD. Nebraska Public TV is also HD. So the connectors arent totally useless and I still have my HDD unit sitting on top of the 922.

There is a more up to date software available and wiggler, only problem is it is set up for a canadien provider, etc and there is no pre-programmed scripts for GI/Moto IRD 905/920/922.

I agree that the HD decoder was implemented a little bit too early, nobody I know had an HD set even five years ago. GI/M could have used this money to promote a new combomode unit instead. Some things just don't make sense, huh?

Anybody know what programming language 4play was written in?
Is the source code available anywhere?
What did the person/company who bought 4play do with it? Did they ever release an updated version, or are they just sitting on it?

Rod Hewitt was programmer and/or owner of 4play. He has no intention on updating it as he has no use for it, per him. I am working on getting source code for us.

I found 4play on one of my puters back a couple of weeks ago when I was cleaning out the hard drive? That folder was dated in 2007 and it had some documentation in it along with the .exe file. I don't think I s-canned it but will have to try to remember which computer and hard drive it was on. :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)