Anybody else find SWM unreliable?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

videojanitor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
A bit of background: I have two separate SWM systems, mainly because it was just more convenient to do so. One Slimline SL3 feeds two HR DVRs in the living room, while another feeds three machines in other rooms.

Both systems work fine most of the time, but I find them to be quite a bit less reliable than the old "standard" LNBs going through WB68 multiswitches. By that I mean, when I least expect it, I will find one or more DVRs "searching for signal" and I end up having to power-down the entire system and reboot everything. Since it happens on two completely separate systems, my gut instinct is to say that this while concept is just very fragile -- it doesn't seem to take much to upset it.

I rarely rebooted my machines before, but now I am forced to do it at least once every two or three weeks. It has become annoying enough that I am thinking of going to back to the 4-wire + WB68 system, even though it is a lot more cables. In my experience, it has a lot fewer problems (like, none).

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same experience?

A bit of background: I have two separate SWM systems, mainly because it was just more convenient to do so. One Slimline SL3 feeds two HR DVRs in the living room, while another feeds three machines in other rooms.

Both systems work fine most of the time, but I find them to be quite a bit less reliable than the old "standard" LNBs going through WB68 multiswitches. By that I mean, when I least expect it, I will find one or more DVRs "searching for signal" and I end up having to power-down the entire system and reboot everything. Since it happens on two completely separate systems, my gut instinct is to say that this while concept is just very fragile -- it doesn't seem to take much to upset it.

I rarely rebooted my machines before, but now I am forced to do it at least once every two or three weeks. It has become annoying enough that I am thinking of going to back to the 4-wire + WB68 system, even though it is a lot more cables. In my experience, it has a lot fewer problems (like, none).

I like the non SWM set up better overall. It was simple to isolate any issues, I only went to the SWM because I haven't had time to run an extra line to the bedroom.

Now, on to your situation, you said that both systems are separate from one another.
Do they both have trouble ?
If not, look to the troubled one and isolate the issue.

Why SWM on both of them ?
Going back to regular on the one thats giving you trouble, is that an option ?

Does your trouble happen all the time, on a regular basis ?
First think I would do is reset the SWM set up, which you probably have done already.

Can you have them separate, yet expect them to work together ?

Are the two set ups butting heads with one another ?

I had same exact issue for years, until I did an inspection, and found water had intruded my ground block. Replaced and refitted properly, and it has been rock-solid since.

Now, on to your situation, you said that both systems are separate from one another. Do they both have trouble ?

Why SWM on both of them? Going back to regular on the one thats giving you trouble, is that an option ?

Does your trouble happen all the time, on a regular basis?

Can you have them separate, yet expect them to work together?

Are the two set ups butting heads with one another?

Yes, both systems experience occasional problems. I did SWM on both just to minimize the number of cables going through the wall. I wanted to add more cables from other things, but didn't want to make bigger holes in the house -- so the best solution (it seemed) was to decrease the number of satellite cables.

I could go back to the "conventional" method on both systems, but I will have to get creative with the wiring to avoid making another hole.

Problems are far from constant -- the one in the living room ran for months without an issue -- then last week, I had unplugged both DVRs as I needed to change some stuff on the shelves, and upon reinstalling them, got the "searching for signal" problem on on both of them. I ended up having to power the system down overnight before it would work again. Typically, they'll run for weeks without a problem, but sometimes it might act up in a day or two after a reset.

The systems are totally separate, with no expectation that they will work together. Not using MRV, etc. So there should be no butting of heads, as there is no connection between them.

My feeling is there is just a lot more that can go wrong with a SWM setup. When both systems were set up in the conventional way, there was never a problem -- now I am always waiting and wondering when it will happen!

I had same exact issue for years, until I did an inspection, and found water had intruded my ground block. Replaced and refitted properly, and it has been rock-solid since.

Interesting. I will take a look at that. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, both systems experience occasional problems. I did SWM on both just to minimize the number of cables going through the wall. I wanted to add more cables from other things, but didn't want to make bigger holes in the house -- so the best solution (it seemed) was to decrease the number of satellite cables.

I could go back to the "conventional" method on both systems, but I will have to get creative with the wiring to avoid making another hole.

Problems are far from constant -- the one in the living room ran for months without an issue -- then last week, I had unplugged both DVRs as I needed to change some stuff on the shelves, and upon reinstalling them, got the "searching for signal" problem on on both of them. I ended up having to power the system down overnight before it would work again. Typically, they'll run for weeks without a problem, but sometimes it might act up in a day or two after a reset.

The systems are totally separate, with no expectation that they will work together. Not using MRV, etc. So there should be no butting of heads, as there is no connection between them.

My feeling is there is just a lot more that can go wrong with a SWM setup. When both systems were set up in the conventional way, there was never a problem -- now I am always waiting and wondering when it will happen!

Seeing your NOT doing MRV, you really have no need for the SWM, I'm the same way, I'm using it, but don't really need it.
I understand about the cables though.

I already had 2 cables to most of my HD DVR's , except the one in the bedroom (thats why I'm using it), When I disconnected my Slimline, I then had an extra cable already ran thru the wall so I used it to feed the back room thru the connections outside !

I would go back to the older system if you can deal with the other cables and see what happens.

I would go back to the older system if you can deal with the other cables and see what happens.

Yeah, I think I may do just that. I know it will be more reliable, and I guess that's more important than other factors. With all the SWM systems being installed now, I have to wonder if they're going to be in for more service calls? By it's very nature, there's just more to go wrong with this setup -- even a power hit can cause chaos.

Yeah, I think I may do just that. I know it will be more reliable, and I guess that's more important than other factors. With all the SWM systems being installed now, I have to wonder if they're going to be in for more service calls? By it's very nature, there's just more to go wrong with this setup -- even a power hit can cause chaos.

More service calls, probably, look at how many people have called in to say it doesn't work and they need to reset the thing already.

Also, I would make sure every connector is tight. Not just finger tight, but take a 7/16 wrench to it. Don't over tighten it, not what I'm saying.

Make sure you PI is plugged into a wall plate and not a surge protector. Others may tell you this doesn't make a difference, but I've been on more then one service call and plugged it into the wall and haven't heard back once.

I would make sure you have all SWM approved splitters, and the correct Power Inserters. I have no idea about your system and just throwing some things out there trying to help.

Also, I would make sure every connector is tight. Not just finger tight, but take a 7/16 wrench to it. Don't over tighten it, not what I'm saying.

Make sure you PI is plugged into a wall plate and not a surge protector. Others may tell you this doesn't make a difference, but I've been on more then one service call and plugged it into the wall and haven't heard back once.

I would make sure you have all SWM approved splitters, and the correct Power Inserters. I have no idea about your system and just throwing some things out there trying to help.

Fwiw, I forgot and plugged MY SWM into the High quality Surge Protector and so far have had NO Problems with it.

Hmmm, I have the power inserter plugged into a UPS -- perhaps that is not as good as idea as it seems? I figured that would give it the least chance of taking a power hit.

Yep, only DirecTV approved splitters and power inserters. Got 'em from Solid Signal. I would guess there is just something here that is a little flaky, but everything seems very solid. As I said, it is working 99% of the time -- then it will all of sudden it'll take a dump and needs a restart. I just don't trust it. The "conventional" system ran for 3+ years with never a hitch.

Describe a specific instance, what exactly happens.

OK. I turned on my TV this past Monday morning -- the screen was black and the DVR was displaying a message that said (paraphrasing): "The receiver has not been able to get guide information from the satellite for more than four hours. Contact Customer Service."
I tried changing channels and none appeared -- received a "searching for satellite signal 771" message. Tuned to an OTA channel -- that came in fine.

Unplugged receiver for several minutes and then plugged it back in -- started normally, until it got the stage where it is "Receiving information from satellite" -- instead of the progress bar going from 0-100%, it stayed at 0% for about a minute, then it was replaced by a "searching for satellite" message.

Checked my other DVR and it was also displaying "searching for satellite signal." At that point, powered everything down, including the SWM power-inserter -- waited about 15 minutes, powered it all back up and everything was fine. No problems since then.

OK. I turned on my TV this past Monday morning -- the screen was black and the DVR was displaying a message that said (paraphrasing): "The receiver has not been able to get guide information from the satellite for more than four hours. Contact Customer Service."
I tried changing channels and none appeared -- received a "searching for satellite signal 771" message. Tuned to an OTA channel -- that came in fine.

Unplugged receiver for several minutes and then plugged it back in -- started normally, until it got the stage where it is "Receiving information from satellite" -- instead of the progress bar going from 0-100%, it stayed at 0% for about a minute, then it was replaced by a "searching for satellite" message.

Checked my other DVR and it was also displaying "searching for satellite signal." At that point, powered everything down, including the SWM power-inserter -- waited about 15 minutes, powered it all back up and everything was fine. No problems since then.

Hmmm, with the first part of your description, I would have thought your dish was out of alignment.
Now reading that you reset the SWiM and all is good, I'm thinking the SWiM is possibly going bad ? or possibly the LNB.

When setting up the HD DVR in the trailer I will get the issue you mentioned in the beginning, I would have solved this by swapping the cables from input 1 to input two and it will then go thru the process correctly ...

Now reading that you reset the SWiM and all is good, I'm thinking the SWiM is possibly going bad ? or possibly the LNB.

Well it won't really matter after tomorrow, as I am going back to my old 4-output LNB and WB68. Even though it's working fine right now, I just have no faith in it ...

I guess I should start a new thread with this, but what the heck ...

So I just finished reverting back to the Slimline-5 configuration with 4-wires and a WB68 multiswitch. Now stupid me -- I decided to power-down two of the DVRs during the process -- unfortunately, now when I power them up, I cannot get past the "Receiving Satellite Info" screen, as apparently it is looking for the SWM LNB which is no longer there! Tried several RBRs on both, but still stuck.

I know the dish/LNB/multiswitch are fine, because the third machine was never powered down -- I just went in and re-did the satellite setup and it works fine. So ... how in the heck do I get to the satellite setup menu if I can't even get through the boot process???

Dumb question here, but you have two cables hooked up to these dvr's, correct?

Ok, try hard reseting these boxes a few times. This should get them to revert to non-swm.

I guess I should start a new thread with this, but what the heck ...

So I just finished reverting back to the Slimline-5 configuration with 4-wires and a WB68 multiswitch. Now stupid me -- I decided to power-down two of the DVRs during the process -- unfortunately, now when I power them up, I cannot get past the "Receiving Satellite Info" screen, as apparently it is looking for the SWM LNB which is no longer there! Tried several RBRs on both, but still stuck.

I know the dish/LNB/multiswitch are fine, because the third machine was never powered down -- I just went in and re-did the satellite setup and it works fine. So ... how in the heck do I get to the satellite setup menu if I can't even get through the boot process???

You need to hit the Exit button and hope, I had that happen before as well, I think the exit button would get you out of the Searching menu and you would then have a SS and a Reset option to work with.
Might have been the Exit , then Menu, can't remember for sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.