Anybody getting S-2 on AMC-21

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shadyone

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I can't seem to get any of the s-2 mux on amc 21. I have a Coolsat 8000 and I'm using the parameters off the global-cm site. All the other transponders have excellent signal strength, even 12104 for Montana PBS. I'm getting 0 qaulity on the s-2 mux so I'm wondering if I'm using the correct parameters. If my setting are right then maybe my 31 inch dish is too small for s-2. Can someone who is getting s-2 please post there transponder setting and the size dish that they are using. This is the first time I have tried to use my CS8000 for s-2 and I really would like to see it work. If a bigger dish is needed, I may have found a job for that 1.2 meter primestar.

Yes it up, 2 channels where just black screen last night, but the other channels played fine with good signal.

I'm watching it in Holland, in a snow storm, on my CS8000 with 90cm dish.
12072 H 16666 3/5 pilot off
dvb-s2 8psk
SQ=65%

I'd say the effective beam is very narrow ( caused by the necessity of acquiring 8 bits per quadrature in 8psk), that means your aim has to be precise. It wouldn't surprise me if your 80cm dish was too small, but I think it depends upon location, as much as anything else. I'm replacing my 80 cm with a 1.2m motorized dish, and will keep the 90 cm dish up as well. I think you'd be well served to stick that Primestar on AMC21, :)
[currently our sustained winds are at 38 mph , gusting to 61 mph ]
:)

Last edited:
Here in South Texas, I was getting the S2 feeds fine with a 1.2 M Patriot. I switched to 90cm and saw no difference in quality.

I am using a Diamond 9000HD.

Shoot ! Texas is so close to AMC21, you ought to be able to get it with a tin can and string ! :)
I'm pretty sure that people in the southeast US have the most difficult time hitting the bird, because of the oblique angle which includes 121w, 123W, and 125W , all jammed together.
I wish my 2 feet of snow would go to Texas, I had to shovel the snow away from my windows this morning, and shovel out my 90cm dish, cause the lnb arm was stuck in the snow. Lovely weather to look at, though.

I'm watching it in Holland, in a snow storm, on my CS8000 with 90cm dish.
12072 H 16666 3/5 pilot off
dvb-s2 8psk
SQ=65%

I'd say the effective beam is very narrow ( caused by the necessity of acquiring 8 bits per quadrature in 8psk), that means your aim has to be precise. It wouldn't surprise me if your 80cm dish was too small, but I think it depends upon location, as much as anything else. I'm replacing my 80 cm with a 1.2m motorized dish, and will keep the 90 cm dish up as well. I think you'd be well served to stick that Primestar on AMC21, :)
[currently our sustained winds are at 38 mph , gusting to 61 mph ]
I had fuzzy feeling by reading the statement.
The transmitting beam is the same for all Earth stations - CONUS;
your dish have own reverse "beam" characteristics and this part had narrow angle depended of size the dish and some parameters of LNBF. The 8PSK modulation more dependable of error correction level then aiming angle, but basic rule still the same - tune for max signal, use bigger dish and low-noise/high gain LNBF.

Fuzzy is my middle name. Tighter aim or larger dish is certainly necessary for 8psk ( imagine if they used 16QAM or 64QAM for satellite, you'd need a monster dish to keep all the bits in line) :)

The broadcast truck class from AZCAR Training on 97W actually demonstrates the relative advantages and disadvantages of QPSK, 8PSK, 16QAM and 64QAM ( using microwave applications) . QPSK is very forgiving of careless aiming, but can't carry the amount of data ( per quadrature or unit time ) that can be carried on 8PSK .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts